Directory Default theme- Consolidation Help

Hi!

I need to consolidate the default theme with the gloss css, and ideally move it all to one CSS.

Then I need to consolidate the themes from the plugin folder ui into the theme, so it will still work.

I tried to just move the update-listing template out of the ui- folder in the plugin but it gave me an error.

I was advised that I can move these php files.

It's a process of consolidating the theme I'm winding up with to one theme, without separate css and template files.

I want to just put them in one theme.

M

• Michael Bissett

Hey @mark singley, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

I need to consolidate the default theme with the gloss css, and ideally move it all to one CSS.

Then I need to consolidate the themes from the plugin folder ui into the theme, so it will still work.

Could you elaborate on what's not working presently, and why the separate CSS files need to be moved into a single file?

You should be able to move the relevant CSS code from the other files into the style.css file, but seeing as everything should be working properly by default (not to mention, it may take a bit of effort to get everything looking right if the CSS is migrated into a single file), it'd help to know more about what's going on here. :slight_smile:

Please advise,
    Michael

• mark singley

Hi MIchael!
    I know the default theme is older but what I am trying to do is stop having to click through and ftp etc. Not complaining! Just learning as I go.

So maybe like this--
    CSS FILES---
    Can I consolidate the layout and gloss into a new spreadhseet and just call it somewhere? Right now there is gloss.css and layout.css and I would love to have them all together.
    PLUGIN templates---
    The files in the /plugins/directory/ui-front/general are important to the front end, and I would prefer to move them into the themes folder and make a child theme of all of it.

If I move the /plugins/directory/ui-front/general templates to the default theme folder I'm afraid the theme won't find the update-listing template.

I tried that yesterday and got an error message so I just put it all back.

I don't want to leave the update template in the plugin folder if I can avoid it. It seems to me I should be able to move it, the css etc to the main default theme and somehow relink it.

I understand why it's separated, and in the real world I'd be just using the plugin and my own theme, but for expediency sake I'm working with the default theme, which is looking just fine.

I can't locate the template that calls the page-update-listing.php.

Essentially since I'm not a php guy, I'm having a cumbersome time navigating what calls what, and what is a template for what.

I'm learning as I go.

• Ash

Hello @mark singley

There is no benefit combining css files, as when you will update the plugin and theme all will be replaced again!

If you want you can just merge two files and link them using <link> html tag, but you also need to remove the reference of those files from code.

About the template, are you using default theme that comes with directory plugin? If yes, you don't need to worry about it as plugin templates are not used in this case.

Please let us know.

Cheers
    Ash

• mark singley

Ash

About the template, are you using default theme that comes with directory plugin? If yes, you don't need to worry about it as plugin templates are not used in this case.

The page-update-listing.php. template is the front end form for the directory listing and it lives in the
      plugin folder (wp-content/plugins/directory/ui-front/general/page-update-listing.php)

I was told I could just move this page-update-listing.php from the
      wp-content/plugins/directory/ui-front/general/page-update-listing.php

folder and just put it in the default theme folder. But I did that and it generated an error.

Should I be able to move these php themes out of the plugin and into a theme folder and have them work? I did get advised that here yesterday, but it generated an error.

• Ash

Hello @mark singley

Sorry for the confusion.

Would you please tell me which pages in your site you want to come from your theme? Because, the template file inside the plugins are used in many purpose.

So if you please explain from front page, showing some links that you want these pages to be load from your theme, then I will help you to move correct files. Also, which theme are you using? As you are saying you are using default theme - is it directory default theme or wordpress default theme?

Cheers
    Ash

• mark singley

HI Ash!
    I am using the default theme that comes with the Directory plugin.
    I have moved that theme out of the plugin folder to the templates folder, and am customizing it.

BUT some of the templates the plugin uses are NOT in the provided theme folder.

The DIRECTORY plugin comes with a default theme.
    That theme has templates.

BUT some of the templates it accesses reside in the Directory plugin itself. That means they are vulnerable to overwriting.

They are not plugin files, but php templates.
    I have been told here I can just move them to the theme, but when I do they generate an error.

If you look in the way the directory plugin arrives after you purchase it, it has the free theme, but that theme doesn't have all of the templates in it.

Some essential templates are in the /plugins/directory/ui-front/general

Since you are staff if you look at the plugin in the standard setup as it is delivered on purchase, it has a /ui-front/general folder where it puts the critical page-update-listing.php template that is what is used for the front end in the directory sign up.

PLUGIN templates---
    The files in the /plugins/directory/ui-front/general are important to the front end, and I would prefer to move them into the themes folder and make a child theme of all of it.

If I move the /plugins/directory/ui-front/general templates to the default theme folder I'm afraid the theme won't find the update-listing template.

I tried that yesterday and got an error message so I just put it all back.

I don't want to leave the update template in the plugin folder if I can avoid it. It seems to me I should be able to move it, the css etc to the main default theme and somehow relink it.

Yes, we are talking ONLY about the directory plugin and the default theme that comes with it.

M

• Ash

Hello @mark singley

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It helps a lot.

In that case, you need to use the following code as page-update-listing.php: http://pastebin.com/sqKXjpkJ

The concept is to get the header and footer from page.php and set the template code in the middle.

Also, you need to replace all $this. You can see it at line 14, 15 etc.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.