Directory Member Roles

Hi,
I have just installed directory plugin and somehow the 2 roles:
1. directory member paid
2. directory member not paid
where not created.
(localhost in my computer - xampp, wp ver 3.5 directory ver 2.2.1.5)
Actually I did it twice and both times these roles were not created.
Do I need to add them by myself?

when I add role from general setting tab it become:
directory-member-paid (with dash). Is that ok or I need to change it to be without dash?

Also - is it possible to define only one role for directory member?
Isn't it possible to have both paid and not paid members?

Thanks,
Naomi

• PC

Hello Naomi,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

Do I need to add them by myself?

No, coz I tried it on my lab site and I did not have to create them myself. They are created on their own.

Unfortunately I would not be able to advise on a local site, is it possible for you to create a lab site on your hosting account and then try installing the plugin on it and check it out?

Also - is it possible to define only one role for directory member?
    Isn't it possible to have both paid and not paid members?

Our of the box, 2 roles are created for the plugin.

The reason is that you can define the capabilities of both the roles separately.

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• nl2

Hi PC,

Thank you for the welcome greeting and thank you for your fast reply!
    I will try to install the plugin online, but it will take me few days, though. I will let you know....

Still have questions regarding directory roles:

If I can have these 2 roles - is it possible to switch (not paid to paid member)?

If I define one of them (not paid) as a defult role - how do I assign the second role (paid) to new member? Is it through admin-users or the new user can choose to be paid or not paid by himself?

Is the payment occurs only ones, when the user sign up, and it's for all his listings? Or it's possible to have him pay each new listing?

Thanks,

Naomi

• nl2

Hi,

I have just created a test site on hosting account, as you had asked.
    I still didn't install any theme (but default twentytwelve) and didn't install any other plugin in order to be able to check without any distractions.

I only installed directory plugin and got to general settings (first step of getting started). And here again these 2 roles where not created. They are missing from Assign Member's Role dropbox.

Any idea?

Naomi

• nl2

It seems that it has been solved in the new version 2.2.1.7.
    The 2 roles are being added now...
    I still didn't have time to play with it, yet, and? I would like to do so, before closing the discussion.
    The only thing I have noticed is that in capability tab, it loads not paid default settings, but not paid member settings.
    It can be done manually, though. Do you have any recommendations or default setting screen shot?

• nl2

Hi again,

I had try to do the following steps:

Installation:
    I had installed wordpress 3.5 from scratch, on my local computer & on hosting account (both IIS), at least 3 times each: New mysql tabels, no other plugins. Directory 2.2.1.8-beta.
    There were no new roles added to roles list (only those of wordpress are there).

Add roles manually:
    I try to go further and add them manually. I had tried to add them both with directory & roles editor plugins.
    In both cases the new roles have been added with underscore:
    instead of "Directory Member Paid" "Directory Member Not Paid"
    there are:
    "directory_member_paid" "directory_member_not_paid"

As described here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/directory-and-user-roles#post-236997
    I remove underscore in wp-options mysql table (wp_user_roles), in order to have the roles, as I see them on directory usage page screenshot.

Directory Settings & new user
    I had defined not paid member as default on Listing general tab.
    Then I register new user from listing signup in front site.
    The user didn't get directory role, but subscriber.

Questions:
    1. Why new roles not added to roles list when installing directory plugin?
    2. Why new user doesn't get "not paid" role?
    3. What am I doing wrong?

Naomi

• nl2

Hi,

I had tried to install directory on another completely new site, another hosting company - also there the directory roles were not added.

What do you suggest?

Should I add them manually?

Are the directory roles names have to be exactly "Directory Member Not Paid" "Directory Member Paid"?
    Can it be with dash: "directory_member_paid" "directory_member_not_paid" (That's what happened when I add them on General Settings - Add a new role)

If dash is not ok, is the only place to change it, is directly in mysql?

As I mentioned I did try to do this (add manually "directory_member_not_paid" role, remove the dashes, set abilities and define as default role for directory), but then, new registered user didn't get this role, but subscriber.

I don't understand how you guys succeed to do it…
    I have already tryied to install directory plugin more than 10 times (2 diifrent hosting company, 2 local computers, new wordpress installation, no other plugins which might have conflict with it – but directory roles were not added.

If I understand correct, the roles are very essential for directory to work as it should…and not something you can give up. Isn't it?

I really don't understand what's wrong?

Naomi

• Kimberly

Naomi,

I've just spoken with the developer and it seems the actual Directory Roles have been removed and are no longer automatically defined.

There is a setting to create your own role in the Settings Menu, so it's actually a redundant feature and gives you more flexibility by creating your own name.

It seems version 2.2 stopped this which would have been put out after the thread you are referencing.

So, in short there is actually no problem with your install :slight_smile:

• nl2

Hi Kimberly,

Thank you for your answer! What a relief… I thought I'm already going crazy ……

If so… I still have questions regarding roles:

1. Can I call directory roles any name I want? No limit?

2. What about the dash when creating new role? Is that a problem?

3. Do you still recommend creating these 2 roles (paid & not paid) for directory?

4. Is there a way that new user will get role automatically?
    As I said, while trying to play with directory, I had added directory roles manually & set default role on directory setting. But when I registered new user, on listing signup form, he got subscriber role and not directory default role. Isn't a new user supposed to get directory default role automatically?

5. Is it possible user will have 2 options when registered: pay or not to pay?
    If positive, what is the best way to do it?
    Is it possible that user will get a role, automatically, according to his choice to pay or not to pay?

6. Is it possible that user will be able upgrade from not paid to paid?

7. Does user make payment ones and then he can add as many listings as he wants? Or payment is for every new listing (the last option sounds better…)?

8. Is there a way that not paid user will see only part of "add new listing" form (few fields only like title, phone & location) and paid member will see all the form and will be able to fill all details, including pictures?

I'm sorry for so many questions… It just that I want to understand and use the plugin, which I like a lot, the best way…

Naomi

• Kimberly

Glad to be of help on that :slight_smile:

Not that I'm aware

2. What about the dash when creating new role? Is that a problem?

You don't need the dash, the dash is only the way that code accounts for the space. It is automatically created if needed. So just type the words as regular text.

3. Do you still recommend creating these 2 roles (paid & not paid) for directory?

totally up to you, depends of if you care to separate folks by that way for capability or any other reason.

4. Is there a way that new user will get role automatically?

You can set the default user role in your Settings>General menu or when setting via the Directory menu you should pay attention to this note: When you add a new role you must add the appropriate capabilities to make it functional.

5. Is it possible user will have 2 options when registered: pay or not to pay? no, you set either free or paid directory structure.
    blockquote>

6. Is it possible that user will be able upgrade from not paid to paid?

no cause it's either a paid or free directory

7. Does user make payment ones and then he can add as many listings as he wants? Or payment is for every new listing (the last option sounds better…)?

The former, we are working on adding the latter as a feature.

8. Is there a way that not paid user will see only part of "add new listing" form (few fields only like title, phone & location) and paid member will see all the form and will be able to fill all details, including pictures?

nope it's all or none right now, sorry

Hope this helps!

• nl2

Hi Kimberly,

Of course it helps! Thank you for your patience!!!!

Still have few questions though:

1. Regarding dash in new role name – I do type the words as regular text – but the dash is added automatically, I can't control it… The only way I have found to change it is directly on mysql wp-options table. Is there a better way to remove dashes? Does it really matter at all, if role name has dashes or not?

2. Regarding default directory role - I did set the default user role in Settings>General menu and I did add the capabilities to this role – but still when I register new user on listing signup page – he gets subscriber role and not directory role. Why?

3. Does user can have few roles together, like Directory role, Classifieds role and Subscriber role?

4. Featured listings - I read few discussions in this community where members had asked for featured listing. If to sum up:
    - User will have options for free listings or paid listings
    - featured listings would show up at the top of category results by default
    - user will easily upgrade from a Basic to a Featured listing from the front-end
    - There would be the option for more photos & more details for Featured listing

Are there any plans to add featured listing to directory plugin?
    It could be very useful…

Here are few links:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/directory-featured-listings-feature#post-323795

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/featured-listings-1#post-134219

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/featured-directory-listings-request#post-314470

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/features-listings-in-the-directory-plugin

Naomi

• Kimberly

sorry I could have sworn that replied here! must have gotten lost, i've had some caching issues lately that cause my site to time out on reply, booo! anywho

1. It doesn't matter about the dashes. The code cannot literally read a "space" so it accounts for the space as an underscore.

2. Are your users registering via the wp register form or the directory one?

3. Only one role is possible at a time in WordPress. If you need more control you'd have to go with a user role editor but that might get messy with the existing capabilities settings

4. We do have plans to enhance the listings capabilities with many options, but I've no ETA on it at this time, very sorry

• nl2

I'm still confusing regarding roles:
    First you wrote:

It seems the actual Directory Roles have been removed and are no longer automatically defined.
    There is a setting to create your own role in the Settings Menu, so it's actually a redundant feature and gives you more flexibility by creating your own name.

Then you answered:

Not that I'm aware

I'm confused… can I create directory roles with my own names, or they have to be something specific (if specific what should they be)?

Also, what do you mean by more flexibility? Can you specify?

Regarding the roles I still don't understand if it's better to give subscriber directory capability or it's better to have directory role?
    I would like to have both classified & directory on the same site.
    Is it better that subscriber will get capabilities for both directory & classified ( if I want user will be able to use both)?
    Are these 2 plugins work together without any conflicts on the same site?

Regarding default directory role - I'm talking about registration on directory listing signup page. Although I did set the default user role in Settings>General menu and I did add capabilities to this role – still when I register a new user on directory listing signup page – he gets subscriber role and not directory role. Why?

• nl2

Hi Kimberly,

Thank you very much for your answer!!! It is very helpful!!!

I think it's a very essential and critical issue, especially if I want to have both directory and classified to work together in the same site.

I was completely confused regarding the roles and I couldn't go on without this answer…
    Because all documentation talking about specific role for directory (and also for classified), Somehow I thought the plugin won't work properly without having roles as described there. Now, after reading your answer, I understand it is legitimate to give subscriber - directory capabilities…

Although I think I'm going to adopt your suggestion, I would be grateful if you could check the default role issue, if possible….

Naomi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.