directory plugin and/or edublogs theme and/or membership???

HI all,

I'm going back and forth on my setup; plugins and themes are starting to clash so maybe it's time to ask the experts. Maybe the stuff I'm using isn't meant to work together and/or isn't the best approach.

I'm setting up a site for our club. I need a directory of members with a blurb about each one and I wanted to offer each the oppty to have a blog on the site. The directory would be open / viewable to non-members as would the blogs and there will be protected content. We have about 400 members, not sure how many will take me up on the blog.

I started with the directory plugin set up on a sub-site. That may be an issue. I need each members business details and a place for them to offer specials, etc. Pretty standard stuff.

I installed the edublogs theme on a subsite thinking that is where folks will sign up for their blog. Maybe that's a bit of overkill, all I really need is a link to the sign-up page. But I was using the theme to show "look at all the things you can do with your site". The site is community.mysite.com and when you click "sign-up" you are taken to mysite.com to create your site.

That is what I want to happen, the user to create a site on the main network but... I'm thinking it is a bug that is working in my favour. When you go to add a listing on the directory site with the directory plugin " add a listing" takes you to add a site on the main network. I would expect that listing to be on directory.mysite.com.

If you are not thoroughly confused, thanks for sticking with me.

Is there a better way to set this up than with this approach? Maybe I got a bit carried away by the plugins and themes available.

Thanks
Lori

• lorilr
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks Phil. I posted in the Directory plugin forum about the problem with that. When you "signup" from the directory page, you get the message 'This feature is currently disabled by the system administrator." David thinks the issue may be that Directory can't be run from a sub site.

Which begs the question - is my plan going to work? Can I run Directory plugin and Edublogs theme from sub-sites? Am I making it too complicated to achieve my plan?

Thanks
    Lori

• lorilr

Phil

On the site where you have directory running from a sub-site, how did you do the "sign-up"? Does a person already have to be a user on your main site to add a listing? That is how it appears to me.

So... using the directory theme, the "signup" button goes to directory.mymainsite.com/signup. That's where I get the error. It appears it should be going to .mymainsite.com/signup.

Going manually to .mymainsite.com/signup takes me to the directory signup BUT I'm in a bit of a loop trying to get the right place. I'll eventually figure it out but would appreciate a shortcut if you have already figured this out.

thanks
    Lori

• Andrey
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hello all,
    No, correct /signup/ page

@lorilr,

I try understand what you do - are you can help me:
    1. you have two site ex: main.com and directory.main.com - it's WPMultisite?
    2. on main.com you installed lugin "Membership" or "Members-directory"
    3. on directory.main.com you installed the "directory" plugin ?

please describe step-by-step.

I will try help you.

Are you can give me the link on your site?
    (if it is secret - you can write it on page https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ only mark in subject [for Andrey] )

• lorilr

1. you have two site ex: main.com and directory.main.com - it's WPMultisite?

Yes, that is my setup and it is a WPMultisite.

2. on main.com you installed lugin "Membership" or "Members-directory"

I have not installed either of those on this site. My plan was to use directory as a directory of businesses who belong to this group. And use supporter plugin and/or edublogs theme to allow group members to have sub-sites, blogs. A business doesn't have to have a sub-site to have a listing in the directory.

If either of the plugins you mention will work better please advise.

3. on directory.main.com you installed the "directory" plugin ?
    please describe step-by-step.

Yes. I had installed the previous version, un-installed and installed the new version.

I created a sub-site called directory.

I network activated the plugin, went to my site admin, listings/settings and assigned privileges to administrators only. I set up the payment type as free.

I added a listing and a listing category.

I created a menu item on mymainsite.com that pointed to directory.mymainsite.com.

In trying to troubleshoot, I see that I installed supporter. The directory plugin was not supporter-enabled. I did that. I don't see how to install the plugin on the directory sub-site. Wouldn't I need to do that to run the plugin on the sub-site.

So now that I have thoroughly confused myself, Andrey I've sent you the link to the site

Thanks for your time and help,
    Lori

• Andrey

Hello @lorilr,

Thank you that gave me the link and access - it's easier for me :slight_smile:

if problem only with message on /signup/ page as
    "This feature is currently disabled by the system administrator."

You not selected any gateway in Settings of Listings on subsites (on screenshot I selected PayPal)

I tested Free and PayPal - it works on your site, but I returned it as it was before.

Please try doing yourself. :slight_smile:

If problem only with this, please mark this topic as Resolved. If is not - please write more.

• lorilr

Thanks, it does appear to be working. But... I have tested it with both free and paypal. I know I did that as I had to go look up paypal information to fill in the screen. In fact, I even contemplated getting my authorize.net info to see if something was wrong with the paypal sandbox. So I know I had that option selected.

and when I logged in this morning, paypal was selected.

In any event, I got over this hurdle and will continue with the setup.

Thanks
    Lori

• lorilr

maybe I jumped the gun.

After clicking "sign-up" I did get to the sign up page. I signed up and got a screen saying "yea! you have signed up Now go to your profile or add a listing"

If you select "add a listing" you get this error:

You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page

This is the url:

http://directory.mysite.com/wp-admin/post-new.php?post_type=directory_listing

If you select "go to profile" then you are taken to the wp-login screen where you can login and then select add listing from the wp menu.

Does the user have to login to wp before adding a listing or should it be done from that "yea you have signed up page"

sorry for the trouble. I can follow directions :slight_smile: I just don't know where they are.

thanks
    Lori

• Andrey

Hi Lori,

which type of gateway you used Free or PayPal?

if PayPal - it was subscribtion ($9.99 per some time) or once ($99)?

Becouse if it was subscribtion you can't add Listings until PayPal not send a response that you (owner of site) got the money - delay may be from several minutes to more.

Please write what you did?

But any way I think we must add text for explain this and hide the "Add Listing" button.

• lorilr

Andrey

I can't actually remember what I did :slight_smile: I just tried it - with payment settings to free - and I got the same result.

That is, I sign up successfully:

The registration is completed successfully!
    You can go to your profile and review/change your personal information, or you can go straight to the directory listing submission page.

Then I get the "permissions" error message when I "add listing".

However, it appears to log me in (the new user) before giving me that error.

I tried to login to my main site to check the payment settings. I went to my wp login page mysite.com/wp-admin and instead of showing me the login screen I get an error message saying

You attempted to access the "Main Site" dashboard, but you do not currently have privileges on this site. If you believe you should be able to access the "Main Site" dashboard, please contact your network administrator.

Also gives me a link to "view site". When I do that I see that my new user is logged in.

thanks
    Lori

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.