Directory plugin - cant select categories

Have a feeling that this might be a small error somewhere, but not sure what.

I have the directory plugin setup on a new standard WP install, nothing other than the directory plugin so definitely no conflict with any other plugins.

If I add a new listing from admin access, it all works fine. I tested a purchased listing though which cant select any of the categories that have been created.

I simply copied all the taxonomies to create my categories.

Is this a known error or did I miss a step on the setup?

Thanks.

George

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya George,

So, as a logged-in user you tried to add a listing and weren't able to select one of the categories for the listing? Is that correct?

I was doing some digging as I thought we had a thread on this before, but didn't find anything in my quick search. Can you verify that the user role you're attempting to create the listing is "Directory Member"? This would be at the bottom of their profile page for the site.

Thanks!

• georgef
    • The Incredible Code Injector

So, as a logged-in user you tried to add a listing and weren't able to select one of the categories for the listing? Is that correct?

Yes, so I log in as that user, can see dashboard, media, listing and profile.

I can click the add new listing and publish it too and open it, just cant select a category to go with it.

Can you verify that the user role you're attempting to create the listing is "Directory Member"? This would be at the bottom of their profile page for the site.

Cant from where you mention, but if I log in with the admin account and go under /users I can see that the profile is a directory member.

Show's zero on the posts though, well not sure if posts register as listings.

• Ken
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I am experiencing a similar problem with this plugin on my multisite network.

If a "directory member" user account is created directly from within the dashboard of the WP directory site, everything works fine. They can see all the categories.

If a "directory member" user account is created from within the dashboard of another site in the multisite network, this "directory member" cannot see any of the categories unless you recreate them on the user's site.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya guys,

We did find an intermittent issue where some folks wouldn't have access to the categories. We actually have a large update to this plugin that was meant to be released over a week ago. Unfortunately (just being honest) we lost that developer. A new developer has stepped in to help us get this covered. He's getting up to speed on the code and literally we are testing the plugin out right at the moment.

As soon as possible we'll release this update to everyone and things will go much more smoothly from here on out. It's just a bump in the road here. We WILL get this sorted though and update everyone the moment we can release the next version.

Thanks for your patience!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Greg,

Sorry for the extra delay. We've literally sat down and re-thought how we coded this and how the functions will work.

It's getting closer and some great progress has been made including better embedding into other themes and a complete reworking of the payment/registration process (to a way which makes a ton more sense to be honest). We're getting there.

• luna333
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I am having this same problem... so basically there is no fix for it??

It seems that as soon as I have edited the taxonomy in the Directory ==> Content Types ==> Taxonomies ==> edit

then all of a sudden the user can not select any of the categories from that Taxonomy. The taxonomies i have not edited - they can select from.

Please help...

Just to clarify - I can edit the listing from the admin side, and can click on the categories - but the directory members can not!

http://www.consciousedmonton.com

• luna333
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Was using version 1 and now tried version 2 and it solved this problem but created tons of others. I like version 1 better if it wasn't for this issue. But u can see my other posts about that. Would be nice to just have this issue fixed so we can use version 1

• luna333
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Mason,

I tried using Version 2 and I have to be honest that I don't really like it. It takes away the option to edit the Custom Press Type, and to create custom fields - both things I need for what I want to do.

And I tried to use CustomPress with the new version of Directory and it didn't work.

So for now I am sticking with Version 1 because it does what I want it to do (for the most part)

• luna333
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

So the fix for this was actually quite simple - not sure why the staff here and the developer couldn't help us. Its obviously a bug in the plug-in.

So using a plug in that helps to edit user permissions, we selected Contributor as what users are signed up as. Then we edited the Contributor permissions - taking out the ones we didn't want, and making sure that 'edit-posts' was selected.

For some reason the directory members don't have permissions to edit_posts and this is required so they can select categories.

pretty simple!

Hope this helps someone else!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.