Directory plugin setup

Hello,

I have some issues making the Directory plugin to work. I installed it fine and create 1 category and 1 item. However, when I link a menu item to the directory view, I see a blank page. Do you know why it would be?

The plug creates a page called “Listings,” but I renamed it “Directory” I am not sure whether that makes it not work anymore, then again it never did and I am not able to test it.

This is the link to the page:

http://ceric.org/directory/

(What is the proper name to change the name of the page “Listings”?)

I am able to see the listing I created separately and If you click on “Events” which is the single category I created that does not work, but I am able to see the listing itself?

Any clues?

http://ceric.org/listings/incentiveworks/

Thanks,

Norman

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Norman,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for this great question and bringing this significant issue to our attention.

The plug creates a page called “Listings,” but I renamed it “Directory” I am not sure whether that makes it not work anymore, then again it never did and I am not able to test it.

As you can see here on my test production server http://directory.aecnuwpmu.us/ the Directory plugin uses “listings” as the slug for controlling the categories and the listings themselves. Therefore this may have indeed broken the plugin which coordinates the listings with the included Custom press plugin.

I have indeed visited your site and fail to see any listings at all.

http://ceric.org/directory/

I have also visited your single listing:

http://ceric.org/listings/incentiveworks/

Concerning your listings categories, have you tried a short code by any chance?

Have you tried resetting your permalinks?

Are there any other plugins using Custom Press or was Custom Press present before installing the Directory plugin?

Which theme are you using?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• ceric
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello,

I have renamed the page to using the slug “listings” and also resetted the permalinks, the page is now redirecting to the home page.

Any clues?

Should I uninstall and reinstall the plugin?

Norman

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Norman,

Thank you for the additional input and great question.

At this point I would check the post Types setting in Custom Press to see if it indeed indicating “listings” under the rewrite rule.

Logged into the admin dashboard go to –> Custom Press –> Post Types tab –> Rewrite (right menu) section and check that it is indeed indicating listings as the Custom Slug.

Reinstalling would be a good idea if we can delete the database entries for Directory and Custom Press. However, after checking out the database the locations of these items are not obvious or from what I can see in a table themselves.

Please advise concerning the Custom Slug setting.

Cheers, Joe

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

• cocktail5555
    • New Recruit

I too am a new customer and having the same issue as the original poster.

I have created the categories, created listings in some and I cant seem to get them to show anywhere.

Could you please advise?

I never went into the Custom Press area because I am new to WP and had no idea what I was looking at in there lol

• ceric

Not fixed still on my end. I have given my access details (FTP and user name) to the staff here but they are telling is my template. However, I have no issues with any other plug in I have installed with my template (I have about 8) and working just fine. I resorted to hiring a programmer to fix this for me. They are still working on it. I dont want to change my template, since I have invested time on it and I like it.

I will be monitoring this thread though, in case some has some suggestions.

@cocktail5555 what template are you using?

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Do you like beta testing!

There is a new directory release, that is way better than the one you are using. I am not sure if @arnold wants it released just yet, but I remember him mentioning it to another member on another thread; AND it appears to be stable!

You will need to Ask him for it, and get a few details from him about instillation, and bug reporting, but the sooner we “the community” help get it worked out the sooner it will be done.

I only mention this because i am not sure if the new version can be updated from the old. I am sure @arnold will clarify this, if you are interested.

Enjoy!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Norman,

Thank you for your additional feedback, it is certainly appreciated.

I believe a portion of the problem here and why cocktail5555 may not have answered you about the “template” is that clearly you must not be referring to a template but rather a theme.

Not fixed still on my end. I have given my access details (FTP and user name) to the staff here but they are telling is my template.

Then it probably is your theme. There are as many themes as there are people out there and many theme designers do not follow “good practice” with elements of the theme, they just want to sell you something that you buy on looks rather then compatibility. Themes can be a nightmare.

However, I have no issues with any other plug in I have installed with my template (I have about 8) and working just fine.

One could easily say that they bought new parts for their car, lights, seat covers, new paint job and they all worked just fine but the new engine they bought just will not fit in the engine cowl.

The point being the eight plugins that worked just fine may be of such minor consequence that it is irrelevant to the fact that the engine will not fit into the cowl. but lets force it anyway eh?

When setting up or building web sites, any site, the first and most important thing is the hosting and of course most people spend as little as they can on some garbage host thinking they are getting something of value which is rarely the case.

The next most important thing for WordPress based sites is the theme which you have never mentioned the name of your theme and last the plugins and the combinations thereof.

I resorted to hiring a programmer to fix this for me. They are still working on it.

You should have contacted the theme designer/author which would have probably been able to see the problem and fix it in minutes.

Let us know how it goes and what conclusion your programmer comes up with in dealing with the theme and the plugin integrations.

Cheers, Joe

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@ceric *GRIN* you will be happy to know thats the one i am trying to fix… The reason i volunteerd is its the exact same theme I am using, I am one of the support moderators at Parallelus support forums on the mingle theme (an adaptation of salutation)

so it looks like i could kill two birds with one stone

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Look at the settings in CustomPress. You should have a directory_listing post type defined. Don’t have CustomPress installed separately. Use the one that comes with the Directory plugin.

Try deleting the directory_listign post type.It will recreate itself.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

hmm this is wierd arnold i will send you my admin login have installed exactly as described but am missing any reference to the listings in the sidebar, have it set as you describe here. when i click on the post type i get the control panel open up with all the tabs etc.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Well the problem is that when initializing the custom type Salutation interfereswith creating the Administrators Capabilities. Without the right capabilities the menus won’t show becaue you don’t have the rights. If you can gointo the directory_listing settings in Role Capabilities settings it can’t even display a list of capabilties.

We have nothing but problems with Salutation.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@mtb1701 in the zip there is a folder called samples in there is an xml file

just import the usual way…

@ceric unfortunately this doesnt look like its going to be an easy fix, @arnold is testing on my server at the moment. I have emailed him the method i was going to try, it seems like salutation doesnt like virtual pages.

And this was just with wordpress latest version salutation latest version and only the directory plugin installed nothing else.!!

• ceric

@arnold thanks for the updated directory plugin package, as I emailed you, it did manage to show the “listing” button on the sidebar for the dashboard. Now, I dont seem to be able to find where to create categories on the beta version:

This is what I see when click “add listing”:

http://screencast.com/t/JYpeiAtmt12

Also these are the options I see now the “listing” button appears:

http://screencast.com/t/hAL2fdvU

Where do I create categories? Thank you for your efforts thus far, it is much appreciated.

I also do have listing, but they are not linked to any category:

http://screencast.com/t/kDyGdBVZN

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

By the way on looking at what Salutation does to the pagefor a listing_category. It looks like a blank page but if you look at the source of the page the data is there except for the footer, so tey’ve got some odd CSS going on hiding most of it.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@arnold

Salutation allows for custom css in a box under theme settings :slight_smile:

One point i noticed i added the demo data to the site, when you select a category the message comes up saying

Sorry, we can’t find the archive you’re looking for at this URL. Please try selecting a menu item from above or to the side of this message to get where you’d like to go.

on the production version could it be set to something like “sorry no listing found in this category”

Do you want me to try again with salutation and try some custom css or are you still working on it. I don’t want to jump on something you may be doing.

If you need the testbed there i can keep it up as long as you want.

If there is something you want to do let me know.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Everyone,

Just chiming in here to add my two cents and if anyone does a search on Dev they will find many threads where I have said that Salutations is the worst theme of all time.

It is huge, it is a mess, it is inflexible, and the author of it himself will not sell it on his own site. Coincidence? As a matter of fact the author himself will not even link to it on his own site!

As a matter of fact I refuse to attempt to support anybody that is using this piece of xxxx theme and why should I? When all it has done is cause grief in every instance of integration that I am aware of. I even sent a copy to a developer and my Boss months ago and they both agreed with my opinion about it.

So my helpful suggestion? Dump it!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings @tom.eagles,

I did not realize that you were trying to use this theme yourself or I would have sent you a heads up long ago.

This theme regarding integration has been a nightmare for me since February when I became part of the staff and tried to help a person integrate other stuff with it, not Directory in this case, I think it was Events+, but it was a nightmare! And I never became successful and that is when I sent copy to my Boss and the lead developer of Events+ who unknowingly but separately negatively commented on the theme.

The theme itself is beautiful, integration is the true nightmare with it and its framework.

Thank you as always for your valuable input tom.eagles!

Cheers, Joe

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@aencu Hi Joe i actually am one of the mod’s on the support forums for another of his products Mingle which is the next best seller below salutation I am installing it now to see how that works and will report back.

As you said its a great theme as it is but integration is a nightmare, I was offered payment by a member here to fix it, i turned it down because after reading through pages and pages of the support forum for salutation and trying some custom css to fix it untill 0400 this morning i decided to quit while i am ahead.

@arnold and i even had problems switching back to another theme after installing it.

@aencu I would like to make a suggestion how about making a list of themes that will NOT work with some of the more important plugins, it could save a lot of wpmudev members hard cash. Especially as the Buddypress themes tend to be amongst the most expensive out there.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Turns out the original problem with Salutation on categories is due to some CSS at line 41 of style-default.css

.invisibleMiddle #Middle, .invisibleAll #Top, .invisibleAll #Middle, .invisibleAll #Bottom {
    visibility: hidden;
    }

All the text is there but the CSS hides it. Why he hides it in the first place is a mystery.

• ceric

Also, I know people here are not a fan of the theme Sallutation, but I must say I like it very much. I have had no other problems with it working with other plug ins and I like how easy it is to create layouts and play around with custom code in pages. Also, the theme is ready for buddypress which I have found a very hard time finding a theme that meshes so well and provides immediate updates when buddypress comes up with a new version. Also, the theme works very well with the directory plugin if not for the problem listed on this thread. I was impressed how when I included the “add listing” and “my listings” buttons it meshed well in with the buddypress tabs and conformed with the look of the theme as you see here for example:

http://screencast.com/t/BKuUYxJ8

Sorry I have to disagree with you @aencu, and don’t get me wrong, I think your plugin is a good one, it is just unfortunate that this became so complex on your end, though it is also good that you are challenge with a theme publisher like this, because then it forces you to create a better and much universal plugin, i think it can pay off for you in the long run.

Also, although the publisher http://para.llel.us does not put Sallutation on the home page, it does place Mingle and as I see from what @tom.eagles has been working on for @cocktail5555 is that is the Mingle template which has the very same issue.

http://screencast.com/t/RjQacap1NAFx

At the end of the day, communicating this flaw in their themes will serve their theme to be better and thus serve the overall WordPress community in the long run as well.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Hey tom.eagles,

I wanted to let you know that I was not ignoring you suggestions in the post:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/directory-plugin-setup#post-274522

The fact of the matter is that you transposed my initials …. lol So I never received the message.

As you said untill 0400 this morning and I totally understand what that is all about :stuck_out_tongue:

What amuses me most when reading through these theme related issues, usually almost always of the “framework” type, is that the owner always states that I tried other plugins and they work/worked OK.

I find the humor that it is like comparing or saying I have a Mini Cooper and was able to put new wheel covers and seat covers on/in it, but when I tried to but your 12 cylinder Lamborghini engine into it, it just will not work and it must be the engines fault! … lol

Thank you every one for your input, it is enormously appreciated and I can see that a lot of folks put a lot of effort in here trying to straighten this out.

Sincerely, Joe

• onlyway

@arnold – I am in the midst of trying to find a business type directory that will handle about 300 cats and subcats and about 2 million listings have all but given up and was starting to look today for someone who could build me what I need but before I do can I ask you a couple of questions about your directory plugin and see if it will fit my needs?

1.) total BP integration and all user adding and managing their listing is on front end – not the wp panel.

2.) editable fields and the fields allowed to publish varies based on their member level.

3.) listing can select multiple cats – the number of cats they can select is based on their member level

4.) posted by, ‘display name’ and friend links in the listing detail

5.) I dont want to charge per listing – i am going to charge a flat annual rate for a quite of offerings, a dir listing being one of them, whichever level they sign up gives them dif style lisiting and maybe even stickiness.

Will your directory plugin work??? Please say yes…

• onlyway

Sounds very promising…let me get a little more specific.

5,) How hard would it be to make this work based on user type (role)?

Thought of another question, can users create more then 1 listing? if so can you restrict them to only one listing?

• ceric

@arnold @tom.eagles Hello. I guess we gave up trying to make the plugin work with the Sallutation theme? I installed the the beta version 3 posted last by @arnold and that did not fix the original problem.

Would you mind also considering listing themes that support buddypress and also would work well with the Directory plugin. I am assuming you would post your own (wpmudev), but if you know any other theme publisher you think would do a better job at their theme’s functionality and ability to work well with plugs would you please also let me know. I am considering switching my theme to something that works well with the directory plugin as I was hoping for the plug in to be the main driver of content for the site.

Thanks to all who put efforts on this.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@ceric i identfied what those lines do, it’s to do with the special effects under design settings fade in fade out etc.

I finally gave up after getting the plugin to work kind of listsings repeated 3 times the main page just gave hidden text etc.

to be honest i went with a different solution for this particular site i am working on now.

But will use this plugin in the future with a more friendly site.

I identified a potential solution to @arnold that worked with events + that salutation had issues with but i dont think its worth his time modifying a plugin to suit just one theme (however useful it may be to us)

• ceric

Seems I have made some progress turning off the fade in/out feature at the theme settings:

http://screencast.com/t/MP43Hvjv1B

I have another problem now, as you can see from the screenshot.

I have also wondered whether the issue has anything to do with their content filters:

http://screencast.com/t/UmsFoI88z0Bf

And also, just so you know, I am taking it up with the theme developers. I have opened a thread on their support forum and I have cited some of the comments on this thread and linked to it as well.

I will share their comments once I have some. I think I am getting close to fixing the issue myself, or at least I am hoping.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@ceric good luck with that,

in response to your email this is what i went with in this particular case.

http://directory.native-speakers.org

I will use the directory plugin next time round when i dont have to spend countless hours trying to get a theme to work with it, better to find an alternate solution in this case.

The new plugin is awsome from @arnold but the integration with the theme wasn’t worth the effort of investing more time.

Next job that needs a directory I will find a theme that works with it :slight_smile:

• ceric

Looks like the problem is happening also in the buddypress default template, so nevermind Salutation:

http://screencast.com/t/95P9jUevgDx

Also, I got feedback from the Salutation author plugins on this site:

“Strange coincidence that so many so-called “Salutation problems” exist with plugins developed by this one website… I have had many problems in the past with their plugins on every BuddyPress theme I have used. I now steer clear, the ways in which their plugins are implemented is not very ‘elegant’ at all.”

Hard to to know who to believe…

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

“Strange coincidence that so many so-called “Salutation problems” exist with plugins developed by this one website… I have had many problems in the past with their plugins on every BuddyPress theme I have used. I now steer clear, the ways in which their plugins are implemented is not very ‘elegant’ at all.”

Thats not true as it worked fine on mingle which is another of his buddypress themes.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Norman,

Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate the authors comments as well.

Personally I find it hilarious that what I consider the poster child for inelegance with 12.5 MB of pure inelegance compressed would make a statement like that and possibly keep a straight face.

However, all Salutations rhetoric aside, the real problem here is that the plugin does not work with Buddy Press and I cannot believe in all these posts that it was not realized before and this plugin never claimed it did work with Buddy Press.

Check the Directory plugins page itself, it only works on WordPress 3.4.2, Multisite 3.4.2

My bad for not catching this earlier!

Therefore this has all been a moot point trying to twist this in any form or fashion to work in a way it was not designed nor intended.

Cheers, Joe

• ceric

@aecnu don’t you think it you are shooting yourself on the foot by not making your plugin workable with such as mainstream plugin such as buddypress? Also, don’t you think you should be pointing this out on the page as you have not been aware of this yourself?

Also, wouldn’t you think you would have to make the directory plugin to work with such popular plugin as buddypress, since you point out in your own site:

http://bit.ly/V8tw35

Buddypress v. 1.7 is coming to be compatible with every WP theme.

I would have to ask for a refund of my Elite account, as I have no use for it since I purchased it only to be able to use the Directory plugin and its support. Else, please refer me to whom I need to send my refund request to, thank you.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@ceric, the question to ask any theme developer would be whether their theme adheres to the WordPress standards for custom post type templates as documented here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Type_Templates

For what it’s worth, we’re not going to support the salutation theme any longer until the developers fix it up. I’ve posted an article about it and the lead developer has responded with what seems like positive news:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wpmu-devsalutations-theme/

He actually seems like a great guy and I hope we can find a way to make a better experience that is mutually beneficial to all customers.

Thanks.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there, thanks for getting back in touch.

As Mason mentioned we won’t be supporting their theme due to the current limitations in regards to WP standards.

I know in this thread alone @arnold has spent sometime looking at the theme, if he has any pointers there I’m sure he will pop in.

I also know the developer of Salutations commented on the article which @mason linked to, he mentioned an unreleased version which should address many of the issues. It might be worth speaking with him/them about getting that unreleased copy to test with?

Take care.

• HamRadioDude
    • HummingBird

Sure, use your string embed

<?php make_clickable(do_shortcode(‘[ct id="whatever field" ]‘:wink:); ?>

I looked over the them and saw in simgle-listing.php

<?php echo do_shortcode(‘[custom_fields_block wrap="table"][/custom_fields_block]‘:wink:; ?>

I tried to add

<?php make_clickable(do_shortcode(‘[ct id="ct_url_text_9480" ]‘:wink:); ?>

Not showing or I’m not doing something correct. I’m a little lost

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings,

Dont feel bad Arnold, I personally had been fighting with Salutations on everything since February, sent it to Mason and Ve, and eventually we gave up the ghost on it as well for the same reasons you have.

One step forward and it breaks.

Cheers, Joe

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

@mtb1701 If you look on the Custom Fields Page in CustomPress each field has a set of embed codes for displaying that field in a template. It’s the same as the shortcode for that field wrapped with a do_cshortcode call to expand it to the fields string.

<?php echo do_shortocode('[ct id="field id" ]'); ?>

That will display the field. I just added a make_clickable() call around it so it will convert any urls in the string to clickable urls. This is a built in wordpress function.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Ok that sounds simple enough! lol

I will be setting up the directory for my live site in a few days,

I will be delayed on the classifieds, do to a blunder with the batch creator; i did 6000+ sites and ended up with double urls and flooded my primary email account with about 18,000 emails for new user, new site, new whatever that third notification was. :disappointed:

I will follow these threads but i am not digging for the email notifications lol. :slight_smile:

Good night Arnold, i needs a nap!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.