Directory Plugin Shows no listings... nothing

Installed classifieds yesterday. Nightmare. The formatting was not optimized to "fit" other themes.

Installed Directory today feeling like yeah this is what I needed anyways. Now... nothing.

http://howdyhowdy.org/listings

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can start believing it's not the people I just paid $80 to that are doing something wrong.

I'm not a coder. So please play nice.

• aecnu

Greetings howdyhowdy,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Directory displays or may not display depending on the theme you are using. To address directory in your current theme you may do it by URL i.e. http://yoursite.com/directory/

However, the best way to have use the Directory plugin is using its own included theme. Directory plugin folder directory--> themes --> default

I actually renamed the theme to Directory Theme before I uploaded it to my WP install themes folder.

Upload the included theme to your Word Press themes folder and activate it in the dashboard, and I believe you will find things working much better and have a more pleasant experience.

Thanks again for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi howdyhowdy

First of all I would like to say, I'm no coder either. I like the visual pretty stuff, so I completely understand your frustration and I'll try to play nice

Secondly I would like to welcome you to the WPMU DEV Community and I can assure you that we are here to assist you.

Now to get back to your frustration, could you please provide me with some more information so I can better assess where the problem lies with your plugin installations.

- What version of WordPress are you running?
    - What other plugins are you running apart from the Directory Plugin/ or previously the Classifieds Plugin?
    - Single WordPress or Multisite?
    - Are you running a premium theme on your website or self-designed?

We are constantly striving to improve our plugins and we do this by listening to our Users and using their feedback and suggestions constructively. So whatever feedback you have will be highly appreciated!

Looking forward to your feedback.

Gina :: Multiplicity
    Trying out as WPMU DEV Support Staff - Let me know how I go

• howdyhowdy

Hi everyone. I don't agree that we should be limited to the theme provided in the directory plugin. I feel that coding these plugins that are our "moneymakers" to be flexible enough to inherit the styles of our themes is not too much to ask. After all, if we could edit the code ourselves easily, we wouldn't be so eager to shell out close to $1k a year on your service. And with your resources and knowledge, to us as the consumer, we feel like maybe your growing too fast and not putting enough investment in the plugins before release. I felt this way definitely on the classifieds plugin.

Nonetheless, I capitulated and tried the suggestion of running the provided theme in a separate site. I'm running latest version of Wordpress... on multisite. Premium theme by Woo but now that's not relevant since I'm using provided theme. Other plugins are all from WPMU.

Here's my next related question. When a user "signs-up" and pays through PayPal, will they then have unlimited ability to post listings or is the monthly cost for one single listing? Please tell me it's the latter.

Thanks all. I have taken note of your new policies on being very nice to us. I like it.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey howdyhowdy.

I'm real sorry to see we lost you on this one and it didn't meet your expectations.

I just wanted to address your concerns here:

And with your resources and knowledge, to us as the consumer, we feel like maybe your growing too fast and not putting enough investment in the plugins before release. I felt this way definitely on the classifieds plugin.

We have been setting new developers on trial to help maintain our incredible choice of plugins as well as bring new quality plugins and features. We have also set on new support staff to assist in the forums. We are by no means perfect, but we strive to be.

So, could I please trouble you for some feedback.

The latest release should not be theme dependant unlike our previous version.

Were you using the latest 2.0 release?

If it where what was off with the formatting and how do you feel it could be improved?

If you had screenshots would it please be possible to see them?

How do you feel we can make the use of our plugins much easier? We recently put feature pointers into some of our plugins to guide people through their first setup. Do you think something there could be further improved.

We do want to get this right and so your valuable feedback is always appreciated.

Take care.