Directory-Plugin: user can access on other lists

Good day,
I use the Directory - Plugin for an online directory. In the page Settings > General (wp-admin/options-general.php) I've set the default role for a new user to "Directory member".

After a new Directory member logs on to this site, the Directory member can unfortunately see all listings. In addition, before a Directory member has created their own entry, the user has access to the listing of another user. (Page "Editing Listing" )

Where can I define that a Directory member can only see their own list-entries in the backend?

Thank you and have a nice weekend!

• Mason

Hiya Arne,

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

We actually have a fully-reworked version of this plugin near release which will make managing items like this:

After a new Directory member logs on to this site, the Directory member can unfortunately see all listings. In addition, before a Directory member has created their own entry, the user has access to the listing of another user.

Will soon be very intuitive and easy - The directory member role isn't currently editable (which is what you want to do) from within the plugin. But you can use this plugin:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/

And then choose the directory_member role and remove the 'edit other's listings' ability.

Where can I define that a Directory member can only see their own list-entries in the backend?

The above solution should take care of this for you. They will still be able to see all listings on the front end though. That's default to WordPress.

Thanks!

• Arne

Hi masonjames,

Thank you! But!
    Now I have installed the Plugin User Role Editor. Unfortunately I had to find that the plugin Directory not reliable works with the plugin User Role Editor.

When I configure the User Role Editor-Plugin regarding the access-rights of the Directory-plugin (as you recommended to me - ... remove the 'edit other's listings' ability...), the configuration settings are not changed in the Directory-plugin.

I have tested with different types of content on single-and multisiteblogs. Only in the plugin Directory appear this error! Unfortunately, I have repeated observed errors in this Directory plugin.

Are there solutions, so that a member can view and edit only their own content through the backend?
    Finally, after several tests the Plugin User Role Editor offers no solution.

Is this problem known?

I look forward to suggestions!

Cheers.

• Arne

Hey masonjames,

since we've tried here several of your tips and nothing worked so far, my question would be: Did anything new come up in the meantime regarding this plugin? Could you please let me know if there is already a new release date or not.

I got to tell you, the Directory Plugin was the only reason for us to buy into WP MU DEV. This was the one thing we needed and I was confident, since WP MU DEV is bragging about there reliability and their quickness to fix bugs and adjust to customers wishes. The only thing I actually wanted was to have it working. But up until now it does not work, so please let me know: Is there a final date for a new release.

We invested here a lot of time trying to adjust the plugin so users could not get into the post of other users. But nothing (including your tips worked). So, as you may tell by now I am more than disappointed and want either a working solution, or I rather want my money back. I am not happy about the waste of time and the delay of our project, we've had here because of this not reliable working plugin from WP MU DEV.

So please give me a final update on how things are.

Regards,
    Arne

• Mason

Hiya Arne,

As I said above our developers are working on this one right now. I can't give you an ETA though. We want the new version ready for release more than anybody - it's just not there yet. The original developer for this plugin left rather suddenly and it left us with a bit of a backlog as a new developer had to get familiar with the code. It's no small task as this plugin (among others are rather complex as you can imagine).

The delay won't be too much longer and rest assured we'll have it out as soon as possible. If you feel the need to raise your concerns further, please shoot us an email through the contact form here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Your membership covers some 200 products and hopefully all the others are working to your satisfaction. Again, we're working to get this one out as fast as possible and thank you for your patience.

• Mason

Hiya,

We've just released a completely re-worked beta of this plugin. It addresses a ton of issues and while we still have a few kinks to workout it represents a massive improvement over the older version. Please give it a try and provide feedback here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/new-directory-plugin-version-20-beta

Members can still view other folks listings by default, but you can tweak this by adding the following to your functions.php file:

function posts_for_current_author($query) {
    	global $user_level;

if($query->is_admin && $user_level < 5) {
    		global $user_ID;
    		$query->set('author',  $user_ID);
    		unset($user_ID);
    	}
    	unset($user_level);

return $query;
    }
    add_filter('pre_get_posts', 'posts_for_current_author');

This makes it so anyone below an editor role will also have this restriction applied - it's also not unique to this specific post type but all post types.

Thanks!