Directory Sign Up and Role Permisions

Hi,

I'm attempting to get Directory Member Roles working but am not having much luck.

My desired state is:
1. Someone can signup (Directory Member Not Paid) and add a listing but can't publish it.
2. Someone can upgrade and become a paid member which means that they can publish it themselves.

Ideally I would want anyone who has signed up (paid or not paid) to only add 1 listing. Publication would only occur via an admin after content review and confirmation of payment.

My current state:

When a new user 'Signs Up' and logs in all seems ok. They are assigned the 'Directory Member Not Paid' role. However, when they click on 'Add Listing' they just get taken to the “.../signin/?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.advicefinder.com.au%2Fsignup%2F” page where it lets them know they are logged in. The 'Go to Profile' page also says they don't have permission.

I strongly suspect that the new user does not have permission to 'create_listings'. So potentially this is just a settings issue.

Note: When logged in as an ADMIN the Add Listing and Go to Profile buttons work as intended.

My Question:
Given the above and further background below can anyone suggest what additional things I need to do or change or whatever? Such that a new user who signs up as a non paying member can create_listings.

Cheers
Tim

Further background:

I'm using the latest plugin version (2.2.0.5) on a single site using the Directory theme with some mods in a child. The site is under construction and only has testing data, you can see it here: http://www.advicefinder.com.au (if you attempt to signup you should see the issue I describe above).

Some related settings are:

Within Listings Settings - General:
Assign Members Role = 'Directory Member Not Paid'
Available Directory Status Options are: Only Pending Review and Draft are ticked.

Within Listings Settings - Capabilities:
Directory Member Not Paid can View, View Private, Add, Edit, Edit Private, Upload

Within Listings Settings – Payments/Payment Types:
I have a PayPal sandbox setup but have not yet tested. Paypal is ticked within select payment gateways.
Enable Credits is not ticked. But enable recurring and one-time payments are.

SETTINGS ? GENERAL
? Membership = Anyone can register is ticked.
? New User Default Role = Directory Member Not Paid.