Directory signup disabled, no page hierarchy

Hi. I'm a wordpress novice and basically a frontend internet user. I'm using the Directory plugin with the Twenty Eleven theme. I also have your Marketplace Lite plugin. It works well. Will likely upgrade it soon. The problem I'm having with the Directory theme is 1) The pages show fine when they have no parent. But that clutters up my top of page menu. So, I tried putting all the Directory pages under the main Listings page. Seems like the program isn't setup to work with that sort of hierarchy. The page says it "..can't find what you're looking for..." 2) When all the pages are not under a parent they work fine except the signup page says that the administrator has disabled the sign up function.
Please advise on how to correct these issues. My site is at http://www.trinichi.com Thanks.

• aecnu

Greetings l_e,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for bringing this significant issue to our attention and you will find that it acts differently under different themes depending on how the theme handles custom post types etc.

There is an included theme that addresses these items correctly, did you find it, upload it separately to the theme folder and check it out perhaps?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• l_e

Thanks for that suggestion. I like the theme I have. Will this change the look of my entire site? I intend to use several of your plugins very soon. Will each of them require their own theme. Are the themes integrated into my main theme? I guess what I'm asking is whether I will be able to have a cohesive site that looks and operates the way I envision it. I'm about to try your suggestion. Will let you know what happens asap.

• l_e

I uploaded the default file into my wp themes after zipping it. The WPMU Directory theme is very different. Am I to understand that there is no way to get a page hierarchy for the directory plugin to work in the Twenty Eleven or any other theme? The signup page still says it has been disabled by the administrator. Is there some way to enable the signup capabilities? Regardless the theme, this seems to be a problem.

If I upgrade to the full MarketPress version, will I need a specific theme for that to function fully? Would I be able to use both the Directory and MarketPress on the same site. Or is it advisable to use different domains to host the different plugins. I don't have a huge problem with that. But I want to be sure of what my options are. Please advise.

• aecnu

Greetings l_e,

Thank you for your additional input, it is certainly appreciated.

The heme was just a suggestion as you had mentioned originally you were using the Twenty Eleven theme. Then until I mentioned the Directory theme you never mentioned being happy or not about the theme you had.

Every theme is different and coded different as well and it will be your challenge to make it work.

You can integrate with themes using different methods i.e. shortcodes etc.

Shortcodes will provide access to plugin-specific things, like displaying a gallery, or a Google-Map.

In Directory the available shortcodes are accessed by being logged into the site admin dashboard --> Listings --> Settings --> Shortcodes Tab

There are also more ways to integrate a theme by taking code from one theme and placing it into another, but this is an advanced topic.

Market Press also offers short codes and the Frame Market/Grid Market theme is the pre configured theme for Market Press.

Use what theme you want, we offer pre-configured themes above for convenience and certainly not necessity.

Concerning the signup page, have you configured everything including the payment gateways etc?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Arnold

I think you're talking about the Menu hierarchy rather than the page hierarchy all the pages would show up on the default menu that in Wordpress contains all the Pages created.

The proper way to rearrange the menu is to go to Appearance | Menu and create a custom menu and then just arrange them the way you want. You don't need to setup parents etc for the automatic pages.

The disabled by the Administrator warning is because you've turned on PayPal but you haven't filled in the API password etc, so since the system can't charge because of lack of information it tells you it's disabled.

• l_e

Thanks guys. I've been playing around with your suggestions. Some of the more advanced stuff I'm going to have to get help with. Seems like that's gonna be the best way to get the aesthetic feel I want for the site. But for now, it's ok.

Been playing around with the permalinks. On the default setting, I can arrange the menu hierarchy exactly as I want it and all the Directory pages work perfectly. However, the MarketPress plugin won't work on the defualt setting. Pretty Permalinks required. Again, I'm hoping a few tweaks here and there by someone more experieenced than I am will fix that.

I tried using the shortodes in the Directory plugin a few times. I put them right into where I'd type content into the page on both the visual and html tabs. I didn't see any buttons show up yet. I might be doing something wrong there. I may not need them tho.

More importantly, while I see where I can choose PayPal as my payment option, I'm not asked for any API key or anything. Is it because I already entered it for the MarketPress or am I not lookig in the right place?

• l_e

Maybe I should have specified that my site consists of various pages including those of the directory. Such as home, contact, about, etc. I want the Directory to be listed in the main menu along with these. I prefer to have the subsequent pages of the Directory such as the my listings, add listings, sign in/up pages to be hidden under the main directory heading. I've tried everything I can think of with my very limited technical knowledge. It looks as though only the default permalink setting will allow the type of set up I want. Is there, perhaps, a way to adjust how the plugin accepts permalinks?

Also, I'm still not seeing any place to place any additional Paypal info. I've reinstalled the plugin several times.

Any info anyone can provide to help me resolve these issues is greatly appreciated. I like what I've seen of the plugin in other areas. I hope I will be able to use it.

• aecnu

Greetings l_e,

Thank you for your additional input and feedback, it is certainly helpful and appreciated.

Most of the plugins, approximately 90% will require the pretty permalinks to be set at anything BUT default.

You had mentioned that you have reinstalled the plugin many times and there is a brand new re-written version coming out soon, actually it has been sent out as a release candidate.

I believe it is in your best interest to be working with the newest rework of the Directory plugin located here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/importing-listings-into-directory#post-277647

Please advise if you are going to stick with the current version or if you are going to try out the RC version which means any day now it will be a full blown release?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• PC

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Did you know we offer FREE lifetime memberships? Click here to learn more.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.