Directory vs Protected Content vs Member Directory

I'm narrowing down which of the great plugins to use for my clients application and could use a little clarification.
My goal is to have a directory of paid members, with custom fields showing specific info, available to the public to search. I also want to be able to send info and updates through the site to all the paid members.
I also have 3 different types of members. One is the paid member above. Another is a Recruiter who wants to put a job posting for the members. A third is someone who wants to send an announcement to the membership base that we pre-approve by filling out a form.

At first, I thought I'd use either Membership or Protected Content, but I think it makes more sense now to use Members Directory, Newsletter and the Jobs Board. I considered the Directory plugin but I don't believe that will allow me to do the Newsletter mailings to members without some code modification, right? My application is strictly what I said above - the paid and visible member list, email newsletters, the Jobs board that recruiters pay to post an ad on and the forms that get submitted (for bids) that go to members. Now the questions:
1 - Does the Members Directory integrate with Newsletter or with the Wordpress Users function so we can send out announcements?
2 - With Members Directory, can it send out reminders to re-subscribe each year? Can it do multiple reminders are pre-scheduled times? Can it give me a list of soon-to-drop or already dropped members so we can follow up directly?
3 - For the Bid announcements, a non-member will go onto our site, fill out a form with their bid information and submit. The form will need to be approved by management. Once approved, the bid announcement will be sent out to all members. What is your recommendation for how to best capture, approve and then send out the bid announcements, given that I'm considering using Member Directory to manage the member function?

Thanks so much! You have so many great plugins that making the choice can be a bit overwhelming!
Dave

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dave,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your questions!

1 - Does the Members Directory integrate with Newsletter or with the Wordpress Users function so we can send out announcements?

Not directly, however you can set users to be automatically subscribed when signing up :slight_smile:

2 - With Members Directory, can it send out reminders to re-subscribe each year? Can it do multiple reminders are pre-scheduled times? Can it give me a list of soon-to-drop or already dropped members so we can follow up directly?

members directory is just a simple members listing plugin, for sending out reminders and other communication you will want to try out Membership. It has communications built right in so you can set emails to automatically go out to users when their suubscriptions deactivate or activate :slight_smile:

You would need a list of soon to drop clients as it will handle that all itself.

Once approved, the bid announcement will be sent out to all members. What is your recommendation for how to best capture, approve and then send out the bid announcements, given that I'm considering using Member Directory to manage the member function?

You can capture emails right from within enewsletter :slight_smile: you just need to place the email collection within one of your pages/posts or sidebars.

Jobs and Experts doesn't currently have the ability to sell job listings; however, you could limit the jobs custom post type using this plugin: https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/bainternet-posts-creation-limits

So, I would go with Membership, eNewsletter, Jobs and Experts.

Let me know what you think here Dave.

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• dave

Thanks Tyler for the fast response!

I know there is some cross-over between Membership and Protected Content from a previous question, so in my case, where we need a very simple publicly available list of members along with the subscription reminders, etc., is Protected Content as functional for this as Membership? I know that Protected Content is easier so that seemed a reasonable idea but what do you think?

With regard to incorporating a publicly viewable membership list with some custom fields displayed (you can see what we currently do http://nwedresources.org/salesreps), would I still need Member Directory for that function? Since Membership integrates with the Wordpress Users and I think Membership Directory does as well, would this be the way to accomplish that particular function with the custom fields? And then use Membership to manage the sign up, renewals, etc.?

On the Jobs and Experts plugin, could I just sell a membership level that allowed access to a Wordpress role that has access to create Job listings? Or do you think that would be more difficult than the plugin you've recommended above?

Thanks so much for your help as always
    Dave

• Michelle Shull

Hey dave!

Let's try to tackle these one by one.

I know there is some cross-over between Membership and Protected Content from a previous question, so in my case, where we need a very simple publicly available list of members along with the subscription reminders, etc., is Protected Content as functional for this as Membership? I know that Protected Content is easier so that seemed a reasonable idea but what do you think?

There's quite a bit of crossover between Protected Content and Membership. I think, from what you describe here, that Protected Content would be more than sufficient to meet your needs. Protecting single pages is very, very simple in PC, and the entire process of setting up a Protected Content site takes a fraction of the time Membership does.

With regard to incorporating a publicly viewable membership list with some custom fields displayed (you can see what we currently do http://nwedresources.org/salesreps), would I still need Member Directory for that function? Since Membership integrates with the Wordpress Users and I think Membership Directory does as well, would this be the way to accomplish that particular function with the custom fields? And then use Membership to manage the sign up, renewals, etc.?

This could work, but at the same time BuddyPress might do just what you need here. It comes with extended profile fields, and a generated Members page, which you could customize to show more information about your members. It plays nicely with both Membership and Protected Content as well.

On the Jobs and Experts plugin, could I just sell a membership level that allowed access to a Wordpress role that has access to create Job listings? Or do you think that would be more difficult than the plugin you've recommended above?

Either Protected Content or Membership would work for this. You may need to protect the Add pages, rather than mess with custom user roles, but that would be very simple in either content protection plugin we offer.

Thanks for your questions, dave! Hope you're having a great weekend!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.