Disable nickname field for Buddypress registration form

Hi. I'd like to disable or make the Nickname field optional when using Buddypress. I added fields using the BP Profile Fields module and changed the Nickname field name to something else thinking that I could use it for whatever I wanted. Turns out it populates itself with the Display Name and can't be change.

I don't get it. If it depends on other fields (name, last name, username), why do I have a separate field for it? I tried this solution but the field is still visible and required during registration.

Thanks.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Turns out it populates itself with the Display Name and can't be change.

I don't get it. If it depends on other fields (name, last name, username), why do I have a separate field for it?

Its a part of the core code and is there so that users can choose their nick names such as I have done on the forums. You will see my name as PC but my Full name is Pranaya Chaudhary.

That is the reason that even after its dependency, it allows us to customize it.

So are you looking to remove it totally from your site or just hide it ?

Its mandatory and autocalculated so even hiding it should server our purpose ?

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• vanessacolina
    • Flash Drive

I should point out that it doesn't allow me to customize it. I would be content with being able to customize to whatever I want, but when I edit the field and update the user profile it doesn't change the value. It keeps it populated with the Display Name that I selected in the dropdown menu.

• vanessacolina
    • Flash Drive

Hi, I've been searching for a fix (I'm in a tight deadline here) and have found bug reports regarding this. The bug report is over 2 years old which is weird since I'm running the latest BP 1.9.2 and WP 3.8.1 versions.

The bug is caused by changing the tittle of the base group and/or the primary field of the base group to something custom. I did both. When I create/update a user profile is checking against the default field/group tittle - does not find anything - so it populates the field with the Display Name value.

One of the fixes that I found from other users who could solve their problem was to change back the group and field to its default tittle. Didn't work for me.

Any ideas? I wonder what is taking so long for you guys to answer, it used to be super quick.

This is the bug report of over 2 years: https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3725

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Vanessa,

Thanks for posting back.

That is a core field so customization is not possible without custom coding it. However hiding it is something which can be done using CSS.

Can you kindly provide me a link to your registration page so that I can have a closer look and suggest ?

Any ideas? I wonder what is taking so long for you guys to answer, it used to be super quick.

We try to answer all the threads asap using our internal feed system. They are answered on first come first serve basis and a new response puts a thread at the bottom of the feed.

We still try to be as quick as possible.

Cheers, PC

• vanessacolina
    • Flash Drive

Hi PC,

I no longer want to hide it. I just want to fix it so I can set a different nickname for the user. Did you read my last response?

Hi, I've been searching for a fix (I'm in a tight deadline here) and have found bug reports regarding this. The bug report is over 2 years old which is weird since I'm running the latest BP 1.9.2 and WP 3.8.1 versions.

The bug is caused by changing the tittle of the base group and/or the primary field of the base group to something custom. I did both. When I create/update a user profile is checking against the default field/group tittle - does not find anything - so it populates the field with the Display Name value.

One of the fixes that I found from other users who could solve their problem was to change back the group and field to its default tittle. Didn't work for me.

This is the bug report of over 2 years: https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3725

This is the link to the registration page: http://avipla.org/afiliarse/?action=registeruser&subscription=1

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello there Vanessa,

Thanks for posting back and sorry to hear that you did not find my last response very useful.

BuddyPress is not one of our products so including something like that in the core is not possible for us unless their developers do it.

There used to be a plugin to control the nickname to any combination of Xprofile fields : https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-real-names/ but that is not updated for the latest WordPress Version so if you want to try that, you can do that on a test site first.

I have sought some help from my colleague @Jack Kitterhing to see if he can add something to this topic in order to get us a solution.

I have sent him a personal note and he should be around asap.

Cheers, PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Vanessa,

Thanks for posting back.

Can you set your nickname to whatever you want? For example, can you type a custom name and save that as your nickname? I'm asking in Wordpress in general.

Yeah you can do that via your user profile. You can change it to whatever you want and can choose to have that as your display name as well.

Cheers, PC

• vanessacolina
    • Flash Drive

Hi PC,

I asked you because this is precisely the bug that I'm talking about. The "Name" field of BP xProfile field is not letting me set a custom value. It keeps being overwritten by the Display Name value.

However, I've identified the issue. It is a third party plugin that I purchased and installed to edit the user's BP xProfile fields via the WP backend panel. I realize this was the issue because I tested to see if I could change the field via the frontend BP interface and in fact it worked that way.

I've contacted the plugin's developer to see if he can give a solution, otherwise I'll just handle it in the frontend. If I have the solution or not, I will be posting back for other users in the support community and to mark the thread as resolved.

Plugin: Philopress's BP Dashboard User Profile Edit

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.