Disable Upfront editing for some users?

Hi all,

Is it possible to disable the ability of some users to use the Upfront editor?

I want to be able to use it customize their sites, but I do not want my clients to use it. It opens too many doors for them to mess with things.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Nafets,

In this case you may want to change their user role to Editor. By default the editor role can only add/edit posts and pages through the Upfront editor. They don't have any of the design options.

You can always use a plugin such as the User Role Editor: https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

If you want to give them more capabilities than an Editor normally has.

Does that work? Another option would be to hide Upfront from the tool bar and also the "Customizer" from the sidebar menu since it redirects to the Upfront editor.

With the second option they would still have the ability to access the editor but would need to directly put the link into their address bar to get to it.

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• nafets

Neither option really works. The problem is my clients are usually older.... they want to set up websites for church groups and such, but they have very limited know how. I find the upfront editor to be to complicated for them even when limited to adding posts and pages. So that is option 1 down.

As for options 2....

Try as I might, I could not get rid of the upfront/customize links in the admin bar. I have a plugin that lets me hide/disable anything in the side tool bar, but it does not look at the admin bar.

I found plugins that remove the top bar from the front end, but not the back end, or if they did it on the backend it removed it everywhere! I do not really want to have to manually code the links out from the upfront theme files since they will get overwritten every time there is a change. Others only let you add new items to the bar.

Is there an easier way to do this? Has anyone found a plugin that identifies the menu items in the admin top bar and lets you hide them.

I might just leave it, and include a detailed explanation of just how much damage they can do if they use it without understanding it first. I want to use it because it will make my life so much easier in the initial design phase; however, I do not want to be "fixing" sites because they clicked the "x" by accident or something!!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Nafets,

Thanks for your patience on this. I've attached an mu-plugin that is a possible workaround for you :slight_smile:

It will remove the "upfront" tool bar menu item for everyone, so if you want to navigate to it then you can just add ?editmode=true to the end of any url on your site and that will load it in the editor.

Unzip the attached folder and upload the remove_upfront_editor.php file to:

/wp-content/mu-plugins/

Then it will apply to your entire network.

Let me know if that will work for you. Any further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.