Disabling certain wordpress features

Is there a way that I can possibly disable comments, pingbacks and trackbacks sitewide so my users don't have to manually turn them off prior to creating new pages?

Also if possible disable the "Comments are Closed" that appears on the bottom of the pages.

Also would be nice to hide certain dashboard menus from users but again I want to disable them in advance and not on an individual basis or something users have to manually do. And while I am on the dashboard subject would be also nice to customize the color and fonts to make it appealing to my users.

My aim is to have all these features disabled/preconfigured from the jump and not on a per blog basis or for admin to have to do them one by one.

Not sure if this is something that can be discussed here in its entirety or if I need to head on over to wordpress for solutions but just fyi I've been checking there already but only found a few tidbits here and there but not a complete solution or if some of them are even a wise thing to do.

For instance for hiding dashboard menus I tried several ways via plugins and modifying funtions.php in my child menu for Blogs-Mu-Child but I saw no changes to dashboard menus as they were all still there.

As far as trackbacks and pingbacks I've seen one where you run a SQL Query like this... UPDATE wp_posts SET ping_status = 'closed'; to disable them (yet to try) but I saw nothing in the post if this was a sitewide operation or if it's even a wise thing to do especially since some of these posts are older than WPMU 3.0.1

I would imagine if it's executed on the database that it means it will affect the network sitewide but I need to be 100% sure or even if the command is advisable. Please let me know if I need to send any of the files I've tried.

Don't mean to just throw all this stuff out at you guys all willy nilly but any help will be appreciate if at all possible.

Thanks
Dave

• Mason

Hiya Dave,

You know what impresses me? Seeing how far you've progressed over the past while now - and how complex you're queries are becoming. It shows determination and vision. Rock on!

Ok, that was free ;D anyway...
    Let me make sure I have this correct. You're wanting to go back through published posts on the site and disable the comments/trackbacks?

You can disable comments and pingbacks through the Settings>Discussion menu. Going forward, if you use the New Blog Template plugin, you could have all your new sites set to this by default:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template

As to the menu disabling. I personally am a big fan of this plugin:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/admin-menu-editor/

It's got a slick, intuitive interface and does a great job of letting you customize the menus so your users only have the options they need!

Finally, as to the database query you mentioned, if it's only searching wp_posts then it will only make changes to the main site. Sub-sites have db tables like wp_#_posts. I'm not an expert on the database though, so perhaps someone else can chime in here and give you some pointers on that.

Thanks!

• drmike

Are we trying to turn these completly off or just off as a default and allowing your endusers to optin into using them? If you just want to get rid of them altogether, not something I would recommend as it kind of ruins the idea of bloggin, I;d just delete wp-comments-post.php and wp-trackback.php.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Combating_Comment_Spam#Comment_Spam_Hacks

That's a very last step though. I'd default to a turned off as mason (It is Mason, right?) suggestions and allow endusers to optin.

• drdave

@masonjames thanks for the compliments! I am more a read and learn type. Hate classrooms. As long as it's well documented I will more than likely get it.

Let me make sure I have this correct. You're wanting to go back through published posts on the site and disable the comments/trackbacks? You can disable comments and pingbacks through the Settings>Discussion menu.

I am already working on the New Blog Template plugin so that is good news!

admin-menu-editor looks like a big one. Yet to try. Thanks!

@drmike
    I read that and came to the same conclusions.

Thanks for your wizdom guys!

• drdave

admin-menu-editor works great but I also use buddypress. In this case the users will still have access to some of the hidden menus via new post, manage post, manage comments.

Buddypress don't seem to have a solution from my search other than hiding admin menu. define( ‘BP_DISABLE_ADMIN_BAR’, true ); not exactly what I want.

Seem you cannot run bp if you want to completely hide these menus options.

If anyone know of a solution that would be great.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.