Disabling "Create a blog" on User Signup

Hi all:

Over on http://www.mymiddleearth.com when a user signs up, they currently have the ability to create a blog during the initial signup process.

I am trying to find a way to disable this, so that only currently registered members have this ability (many of our splogs get created during acct. creation)

I know that the “Network settings” area of multisite has some options that *APPEAR* to achieve this, but in practice it does not seem to actually work as intended.

Here are the following options, and what happens when they are activated:

1) Registration is disabled. — Obviously, this stops the registration process. Not good!

2) User accounts may be registered. — This allows user accounts, but once the member is active the Blog Creation pages no longer function. Not good either!

3) Logged in users may register new sites. — This is the one that I thought would do the trick… But it stops NEW users from registering at all… Not good still!

4) Both sites and user accounts can be registered. — This is the current option we use, but again, blog creation links are added during signup which leads to splogs.

So, has anyone got advice on how we can KEEP user registration working, but REMOVE blog creation from user signup and keep it only available to already signed up members?

Thanks so much as always

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @MyMiddleEarth,

What you’re seeing for each of those options is the expected, default behavior for each. I understand what you’re looking for and the normal way to do this would be through some kind of signup moderation plugin where a user can sign up but can’t finish registration (or create their site) until a moderator comes along and approves them.

We also have our anti-splog plugin which watches for splog content (spam blogs) and will auto-flag blogs that don’t appear legit.

The other way to do it is to keep your options 4 active from above and then hide the “create blog” option and default it to just a username within the register template. This way, a visitor is only given the option to create a username during signup but should still be able to create a site from the dashboard link later on.

Let me know if that seems like it’ll work for you. It’ll require some customizations of your theme template (but that seems pretty awesomely custom already :smiley:).

Thanks!

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @MyMiddleEarth

Just checking in to see if the advice from Mason worked out.

Note, that since we haven’t heard back from you, I will go ahead and resolve this topic, but please don’t hesitate to reopen it if you still require additional feedback or support from our Support Team.

Just select the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (otherwise we might miss your new post).

Have a great day and all the best with your project!

Gina

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.