Discussion of the Week: WordPress Multisite!

Update: Feel free to continue discussing this topic below but the week is over :slight_smile:

Next DOTW: Brave browser! Will if fix the web?

-------------------

Another week another DOTW! Thanks to everyone who participated in last week’s Gutenberg discussion; some really interesting points and resources were shared :slight_smile:

We had a couple members vote the next DOTW be about Multisite, so that is what we’ll do.

This weeks topic: WordPress Multisite!

If you don’t already know what Multisite is then check out our Ultimate Guide on WordPress Multisite.

Those who have been around WP awhile may remember that it use to be called WordPress MU… or WPMU :wink:

I’ll throw out a few topic questions, but feel free to chime in with anything you would like to share regarding Multisite.

1. What purpose do you use Multisite for? ie. Niche blogging network, Multi-Language site, e-commerce network, etc. (interested to see if any purposes I haven’t seen yet come up! You can share your site url if you like)
2. What are your “Must Have” Multisite specific plugins?
3. What is your SSL and Domain Mapping setup? If you are using both.
4. If you don’t use Multisite, have you ever thought of it? What stopped you?

The 3rd question might seem a bit specific, but it was mentioned in the suggestion last week and I’ve seen it come up a number of times in support and blog comments over the 3+ years I’ve been working here so I’m also interested to hear what you all are doing in that regard :slight_smile:

-----

Post at least one comment and you’ll get 3 Hero points! Offer valid for 7 days after DOTW thread post date. Discussion will remain open past that time but no guarantee of Hero points for new participants.

*I’ll be gifting the Hero points manually so there will be a delay between when you post and when you receive the points.

Suggestions for next week's DOTW are always welcome!

• DigiBlueArc

In multisite, you have a network admin that's like a super admin where you add your plugins and active them for the network. That domain also doubles as you main multisites admin domain where you set up your blog/site for that domain. Then you can create any subdomains ( I don't use subdirectories but you could however, you'd may be more correct here that you might want them to be related) you want in any subject and they don't have to be related. You can then map TLDs to any subdomain independently of other domains or subjects. This allows you to do SEO or different plugins for each TLD.

The challenge I have and all of the suggested solutions have not worked for me, is to add SSLs to the TLDs which is critical for SEO since you need an https.

I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback here Andy. Good luck. --rick

• John Overall

I have used Multi-site off and on for past 4 years and often end up back in single environment. The The thing about using MU is that you need to commit to it and stick in there as it can be a bear to keep functioning after updates and the one site I run that has SSL I use the mapping plugin to deal with the issue.

It can be a great way to setup multiple domains that are related to each other and only have a single install to work with but it still glitches out from time to time. Beware if you go down the Mu route you will need to make time for it.

I use it currently for a fitness network of sites and for a network of site around cooking shows and cookbooks.

• Steve - Just Think BiG

I'm using a multisite setup to host client sites and I also have a couple of multisites that represent individual clients with a number of websites. One of those includes a site that sells a specific, short term service where a sub-site is created for each of their clients.

There are a number of multisite specific plugins that I use including Domain Mapping, Anti-Splog, Snapshot Pro, Ultimate Branding and several other WPMUDEV plugins.

I agree that you do need to commit to the multisite concept and that there can be a few challenges, however, overall, I've found that it works really well for me and my clients and, when I do have any issues, the support from WPMUDEV has always been good.

Regarding my SSL and Domain Mapping setup, I'm hosting with 20i.com in the UK, I have the Really Simple SSL plugin and WPMUDEV's Domain Mapping and I've not had any problem. It's all run very smoothly.

• Coastal Data

I also use multisite off and on, and like the other posters have suggested, once you decide to use it, you do need to commit to a little bit of extra work and attention to keeping things all working correctly.

Personally, I was frustrated with the domain mapping plugins, and opted instead in some cases to create a whole new install of Wordpress, but partially also so as to present a reduced-complexity install for the customer to use themselves. Not being particularly technical, it saved me from having to explain to them what a super-user was, and why it was needed.

All of my webhosts now provide free SSL! Therefore, I am using SSL almost exclusively, what do you think about that?

• DigiBlueArc

Hey Steve, is your SSL a wildcard? How many domains do you have mapped to your multisite? In February my challenge with SSLs shouldn't be a problem since Let's Encrypt is releasing a wildcard that is expected to work with multisite... hopefully because I love multisite other than that issue.

Thank you for the feedback.

Hey Tyler, the DOTW is a great idea, it's creating useful discussions.
    --rick

• Tyler Postle

DigiBlueArc so in the Wildcard SSL case are you planning to force mapped domains to the original subdomain for sensitive things like login/checkout etc.? Or you will get SSL's for the mapped domains too.

I've looked into this a bit over the years from being in support here and some hosts are starting to support SNI along with Let's Encrypt. So you can basically have unlimited domains and free SSL's on the same Multisite/IP. I only spoke to one host at the time, which was SiteGround, and they said they supported it. I made sure to ask specifically if I could add as many domains/ssl's for the same Multisite as I wanted :smiley:

I didn't actually setup a Multisite like that, but was just confirming if they supported it. Interested to see if anyone is using a setup like that - it sounds to me like the best/easiest option for Domain Mapping + SSL's on Multisite. That was about ~1 year ago now so SNI might be more commonly supported now.

Cheers,
      Tyler

• James Farmer

I'm particularly interested in this discussion because I'm starting to feel like the tools we offer in the Hub (and especially in the new Hub, coming later this year, which hopefully members will *love*) actually make it preferable to run individual WP sites rather than one WPMU install... because now you can manage critical features / updates / overall stuff from here while retaining the customization benefits of individual installs.

We're working on an article on this very subject too, so any thoughts would be great!

• Andi

Hmm. is the new HUB development perhaps the reason why you can't actually manage subfolder sites in the HUB? It seems not to be possible to get reports for each subfolder and only the main site gets recognized which is often only a dummy in a multisite installation with site id1.
      I would recommend to focus more on improving the multisite functionality of the hub first rather then starting with new construction places which produce more workload perhaps as to many unsolved problems won't get fixed!

• John Overall

One of the things I find is that having a central point for all my standalone sites really help it out. I currently use CMS commander and have only been recently starting to test out the HUB. With this it does allow for the centralized monitoring and careful updates without the difficulties of a MU site. I have discovered over the years I have been using CMS commander to use caution when doing the updates remotely as they sometimes fail.

I have not fully tested the HUB yet on that aspect but I suspect the same issues will occur.

• Andi

Working with multilingual, multidomain, multitenant sites since over 15 years WordPress was until 2 years ago the last choice.

Mostly we used TYPO3 sins 2002 - very easy to handle multisites and similar to WordPress but much more secure and all run from a single database. TYPO3 is using the power of symlinking so you are able to run one core and in former time even tons of global modules for many sites. But bloging features are still not really near as good as with WordPress. So many customers had their TYPO3 website but also maintained a separate blog. In 2004 it got TemplaVoila to a very customer friendly point and it was really fun to build websites more or less near to wysiwyg. Unfortunately, the "developer heads" of TYPO3 decided to more or less abandoned TemplaVolia which was the best Templating Engine we have seen ever since. Even better than the new Flux which still loses translations and content sometimes. A real nightmare TYPO3 since Version 4.5. If somebody would write a book on how to ruin best an Open Source Community and a great (the best) Enterprise CMS the way TYPO3 took since 4.5 is the best example on it! Before nobody even thought about switching and all were proud to be able to manage TYPO3!

About 6 years ago we switched and started to use Drupal as TYPO3 which was the most stable and secure system until then got more and more to be a real headache, due to developers who thought like developers and no more like users. Good was that all sites were running from one core but had still their own databases. But a real handicap was the language abilities so we searched further. They now start in 8 and have Lingotek which also available with the polyglot plugin on WordPress but which costs a lot in comparison to WPML. Drupal had and still has one great benefit as they provide profiles, which are complete setup and instantly working websites with all kind of functionalities and you can start filling in content just right after installation in the ready made website. Many profiles are done in a very professional way and they are free.
    Another benefit of Drupal was its ability as a blogging platform and the fact that it had a way to build websites in the frontend using a Visual Builder.

About 5 years ago we stumbled over Processwire. It is until now actually the best we have ever met in terms of flexibility, security, speed, designer friendliness and best of all multilingual multisites.
    You have actually all the benefits of TYPO3 (symlinks, one core, automated updates), you can run it like Drupal with one core and multiple databases. It provides Profiles but unfortunately, there are not many available publicly right now. Processwire Sites are IMHO the most secure right now and the fastest and it is very very easy to move sites from one server to another. As template you can even use any you find no matter what and a simple HTML design will do a great job, very designer-friendly. It has translation included like in TYPO3 but easier to handle and has also a pagetree, what is really missing i.e. in Drupal and WP. A Frontend visual builder is missing which is a real handicap even it is a great design tool, but that designer is still needed;-(.

2 Years ago we moved with many clients to WordPress Multisite, for a very simple reason, even there are such great systems out there. SUPPORT and READY MADE SITES. As we have many customers which can't actually afford a website at all we were looking to reduce our workload and now with WordPress Multisite we are able to fullfill the needs for customers by giving them training i.e. with the website builder - we use DIVI now - but started with Upfront which was crab (sorry to say that). Since we use DIVI customers come and like to learn the visual way in building websites. We tried other builder like Beaver and the ThemeTemplates Visual Composer but with DIVI we found what we were looking for. A system to install easily the design of a site or even only a small section of a site. That is a real drawback also with upfront as it is far to slow and I guess it will be out of service soon as Gutenberg will come for sure and already so many plugins and themes won't work even with Upfront.
    Another component which brought us to multisites was WPMUDEV actually as here we got the support and resources we needed to manage our sites. No other system is until now providing that.

We are in process to help building up the Flectra Support and Membership sites to be pretty similar to those of WPMUDEV. Flectra is a pretty new Fork of ODOO which gets more and more shrinked down by their owners, so an AGPL fork had been formed - currently called Flectra. Unfortunately Flectra/Odoo/ERPNext are build on Python - but as more and more companies need much more than only a CMS those ERP/CMS systems are just perfect. Especially Flectra with its capabilities to manage multilingual, multitenant, multisites in one single database but you can also manage many of those databases from one single core and incl its global and/or local modules/themes. FlectraERP has until now the best Website Builder as it is very fast, translating on the spot wysiwyg and it is the most intuitive way we have ever seen until now. With Flectra people get not only a very good looking website with full eCommerce and POS as well as Events, Booking and Forum and much more functionailty which you would need to buy for hardcash in other systems or combine it by yourself, it also has a complete Enterprise Resource Planing System on board to manage your customers, accounting, HRM, Fleets, MRP, Warehouse, Sales, Marketing, Newsletters and of course to manage more then one blog (multilingual on multifomains). As said only handicap is that it is written Python and needs muchmore server resources (2GB up) then a WordPress Multisite (512M) to run smoothly.

Translation Management in WordPress is still a headache as WP doesn't do it natively. They should have a look at Processwire to see how easy it could be accomplished to be integrated into the core.

We started using WPMUDEV Plugins all over which was not good as most of them did not get maintained since years and usually you got the answer that they don't know when something will be improved. Thanks to the great examples posted on Elegant Themes we found meanwhile lots of great alternatives to WPMUDEV plugins and most of them even are free available on wordpress.org and they have no problem to be integrated with DIVI while many WPMUDEV plugins do still have problems with Upfront and other Visual Builders.

Of course we use all WPMUDEV plugins which are needed for the hub and only snapshot is a plugin which shoudl actually be taken out completely from hub and repository until it is working like it should be as a backup solution. Today we ran tests for a 37 site Multisite and the first backup had onlu 1.6kB, the second run after increasing max allocation memory to 512M had 10.6 KB and after Vaughan gave us some code to be inserted into wp-config it ran through but the created zip file is corrupt and can't be opened at all. So it is really useless until it works reliable all the time!

With SSL certificates we had never a problem while using virtualmin build in let's encrypt (multidomains) or cloudflare ssl (single domains and subfolders) by using really simple ssl plugin. Really don't know why some people seem to have problems with it.

We are using Multisite even for our single website customers for one simple reason. we can very easily clone a site, so can he and he can test forth and back. We do lot of trainings and Multisites are the best way in doing that!

Finally with Wordpress and WPMUDEV as well as with DIVI and the Elegant Themes weekly sites and great tutorials on how to enhance DIVI we found as set whichmakes our customer happy and of course us too.

If you like Multisites ...
    ... because you like to earn money with it or you want to play around with sites - use WordPress
    ... because you want to provide your customers the most secure and fast site and you need very flexible designs - use Processwire
    ... because your customers want to run ecommerce with warehousing and POS in multiple locations with multiple product websites and more business related things - use Flectra

All those systems have great blogging features, are great in SEO and at least Processwire and Flectra (pretty similar approach) are very easy to handle multilingual content. They also provide automated updates!

• Steve - Just Think BiG

Hi DigiBlueArc,

I set up my multisite before wildcard SSL and used a sub-directory setup. This means that the SSL certificate for the main site covers any sub-site that isn't on its own domain and sub-sites with mapped domains have their own SSL Certificate.

I don't have all of my client sites on the setup because some have very specific needs but, off the top of my head, I have around 40 sub-sites.

Regards,

Steve

• DigiBlueArc

Thank you Steve, I see how it would work with sub-directories. My challenge has been with subdomains and mapping to them in multisite.

Tyler, yes, let's encrypt is a SNI right now which you only have to demonstrate control over a domain. It enables SSL/TLS certificates and I use it for stand alone domains. Here is one of the release articles on the wildcard by letsencrypt https://letsencrypt.org/2017/07/06/wildcard-certificates-coming-jan-2018.html and now I see that's still domain validation through DNS. That means it still won't work with a multisite.

However, James is right, I find it very easy to keep up single sites now with Automate. I do have 2 multisites set up but from here on I'll set up single sites and use automate.

Super congrats, I read that WPMUdev is now #2 to wordpress.com for wp support. No surprise here. This membership is an invaluable resource for me.

--rick

• Steve - Just Think BiG

You're welcome Rick.

I've not tried it with subdomains, so can't offer any advice on that one.

I agree with you and James regarding Automate (and other developments in The Hub). I can see the advantage of single sites, again, because these developments deliver the same advantages that made me choose multisite in the first place.

Andi, liking the idea of using multisite for all sites giving you the ability to clone and test etc.

Regards,

Steve

• Bill

I am new to MultiSite since I just started using it about a month ago. I have used it for a couple of clients as well as my own sites.

1. I use it to group client projects under one location and one WP install instead of having 4 or 5 single sites to manage as far as updates and plugin/theme installation. I have decided on SubDirectory installation. Then I separate them from each other using domain mapping. I am no SEO expert, however since the "subdirectories" in MultiSite are "Virtual" they should not be seen by the spiders because with Domain Mapping the "virtual directories" show as the intended domain. **** I may be wrong, this is my simple thinking at work here.

2. My main must have right now is the Domain Mapping plugin to control which domains apply to which subsites. Additionally, I use Pretty Plugins to control which plugins are available for the subsites. I do not just Network Activate all plugins. I only activate (and allow to be activated) the ones I want for each of the subsites.

3. Absolutely using SSL with an individual certificate for each domain since I use cPanel and get free SSL through AutoSSL. Here is how it is accomplished as I posted in another thread:

I have cPanel on my server. I used subdirectories on my Multisite install. I then added add-on domains in cPanel. I pointed the directory of each add-on domain to /public_html/ which is the directory for the main domain of my multisite install. I then used WPMUDEV Domain Mapping plugin to direct the add-on domains to the desired subsite.

When I set up the add-on domains in cPanel, the AutoSSL in cPanel assigned each of the domains their own SSL certificate.

When when I go to the particular domain, the subsite comes up under the domain with a good SSL in the address bar.

Yes, my primary Multisite (network) domain had SSL. I set the new account up in cPanel with the primary domain I was going to use for the network install. I then waited about 15 minutes or so for cPanel to install the SSL through AutoSSL.

In the attachments, locoshots.com is the primary domain that I installed Multisite subdirectory install on. RailroadRulesExplained.com is an add-on domain in cPanel with domain mapping to the subsite on the locoshots network.

If I enter the domain and virtual subdirectory locoshots.com/railroadrulesexplained/ it redirects to railroadrulesexplained.com.

4. In the past I had not considered MultiSite because I knew very little about it. Some of the discussions here on WPMUDEV made me curious. The more I dug into it, the less and less scarier it was. I finally took the plunge when I had several of my own sites I wanted to update so I grouped them into one install.

GLAD I DID so far!!!!

• 247web

Cant live without Multisite!

We have a number of clients (associations, chamber of commerce) and so on that all want a "public" site, protected member's site and usually a protected LMS area, sometimes a shop - and multisite works like a dream.

It allows us to design / use 4 different visual layouts or themes for each sub-site functionality and offer things like buddypress intranets, and so on. It keeps very specific functionality e.g. courses, shop, separated and much easier to maintain.

We have experimented with both sub-folders and sub-domains and always seem to go back to sub-folders for a single client - reasons: emails, easy synchronisation of users, security, sharing of posts across all sites, etc.

SEO marketing is so much more effective & easier as it is "collective" with subfolders rather than individual (isolated) sub-domains.

We use WooCommerce for all our online payment activities - combined across the different sites so there is a single orders area - but we could just as easily do them separately within each subfolder site - clients choice.

Memberships are always a "problem" - Most of our clients insist on using WooCommerce because of its popularity with the different functionality themes e.g. shop, LMS courses, memberships, recurring payments - so Membership 2 with MarketPress is a non-starter for us.

I have tested Automate within this structure and it obviously works like a dream - cuts our daily "boring" web updates / maintenance for our clients by estimated 80% time-savings! Kudos to WPMU!

Smush! works perfectly this multisite setup.

Too "scared" to give up Wordfence until I have completely tested Defender in this environment. Probably will run concurrently (some settings) just to be safe.

Downside of Multisite? The plugin admin area becomes a nightmare sometimes if there are all sorts of specialized plugins being used across the different websites - would be so much better if there could be a table of plugins to "tick" i.e switch on / off plugins for different sites from within the Admin area, not having to go to individual sites to switch on.

Anything planned for Multisite reporting?

Overall, can't live without Multisite!

• Jaxom

Hi Everyone
    We only use Multi site on two clients sites who run multiple domains for there core business.
    We spend about twice as much time on maintenance and fixing issues on the Multisite installs than we do with single sites.
    Thanks to the Hub we are trying to move those clients to single sites as we have worked out we need to raise our charges for the multisite installs to cover the cost of the maintenance.
    It would be great if the hub could update a full multisite install as then we might be able to keep our prices the same as they are now.
    Trying to get them to move to single sites is like pulling teeth.

Jaxom

• 247web

Jaxom - sorry to hear about the hassles u have with time on maintenance. Not quite sure about "It would be great if the hub could update a full multisite install ... "

We have found the exact opposite - we save enormous time not having to go to individual sites and do the same core or plugin updates over and over again. When you have 30+ sites on one installation, thats a huge advantage for us.

All updating is done once from the Admin area - and now with Automate it gets done automatically for us for all the sites on our multisite network. Every now and then Automate will have an error but it usually a line issue, rather than software problem. We just monitor the error reports and with Uptime as well, we have a pretty good handle on whats happening and can quickly fix it.

• Debbie

Hello!
    I was inspired to learn more about multisite from the Multisite Masterclass. While going through that course I decided to set up a multisite using Pro Sites to offer managed & hosted websites by subscription. There's 16 different themes that folks can choose from. There's 3 subscription levels and all include domain mapping, with an SSL certificate included on the 2 higher priced subscriptions.
    One thing I could use suggestions for is a good anti spam plugin, if anyone has suggestions.

• Tammy

Hi, I am new to the Wordpress Community. I have always hand-coded websites using html, css, php, and javascript. However, I was told by a friend that I really should learn how to develop for Wordpress. Back in December, one of my clients asked me to redesign their website (which I created for them 10 years ago). I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to lean Wordpress. So, the first week of January I began taking the WPMU courses and I have developed my first custom theme and plugins.

I just learned about multisite last week and I am in the process of setting it up for my Strata Council websites. I have already set up the multisite and added my theme and plugins. I used a demo site as my main site. Then I added my client's website. Once it is ready to launch I will map the domain and they will be good to go! I plan to set up a page on my demo site where others can either purchase the theme or request to have one set up and managed for them.

This multisite will free up a ton of my time. Any changes that I make to the theme will be much quicker to implement on all of my clients' sites. I can also easily implement new features and create a community where buildings and strata councils can reach out and contact our councils for advice, resources, etc. I am excited about the possibilities ahead.

I have not been using multisite long enough to have "must haves" but I plan to start with ones that were recommended in the Multisite Masterclass: Multisite Enhancements Plugin, Snapshot Pro, Defender, Hummingbird, and WP Smush Pro.

As for SSL, my hosting provider offers AutoSSL which I plan to pass on to each of my clients. I haven't done any projects that require anything more than a basic certificate and I believe that basic SSL certificates should be available to everyone at little or no cost.

• Michael

I just started using multisite for one of my clients. I have to tell you it has made my life easy.

1. The client does stem cell injections. We use the primary site as our data collection point. We then have created a new site for each location. All locations submit testing data to the main site, and satellite sites use their location site to set appointments and manage patients.

2. We use a BEVY of WPMUDEV plugins. However on the primary site for data collection we use Gravity forms. We also use the Membership plugin and Appointments+ for all out patient appointments and tracking on location sites. We also set up a dummy location site, so when we add a new location, we can simply clone it and we are ready to go. To do this we use the cloner plugin.

3. We use an SSL with a wildcard, and we have all locations setup on subdomains.

4. I have not used Multisite in the past because I did not have time to learn, that all changed when I hooked up with WPMUDEV!

• Brent Leavitt

Hey Everyone! I've just came on board with MultiSite when I realized it was going to solve a key issue I was having with our business: allowing users to access multiple sites. My wife and I run an online doula training business (www.trainingdoulas.com). We're using MultiSite primarily then as a marketing tool as it will allow us to nurture new potential clients (think inbound marketing). To that end, we're setting up a new site to attract/redirect potential clients to the much broader topic of childbirth. As we help prospective clients move from a general interest into a niche focus on doula training, we hope to move clients across websites without loosing information on the nurturing process and not forcing our clients to have to make a new account when they want a new service.

So it's really the ability to move users back and forth through our different services/websites that is the big attraction here for us. (I actually didn't realize that I'd be able to achieve this with MultiSite until about a week or so ago!)

We're hosting with CloudWays which allows for instant setup of Let's Encrypt certs. Very pleased with that arrangement. I plan to start using domain mapping very soon, but have not yet gotten that set up yet.

I appreciate everyone's comments and participate here. Thanks!

• 247web

Brent
    Suggest you look at a sub-folder Multisite before diving into sub-domains.

Rather than spreading your marketing and SEO around sub-domains, target only your primary site - concentrate all your efforts on one domain and use landing pages for conversions and routing.

We use WP Multisite User Sync for our different sub-folders (niche sites - LMS, Buddypress Community Hub), together with Private Site.

Another couple to look at would be Woo Subscriptions / Woo Memberships - but getting pricy.

• Brent Leavitt

Thanks @247web,
      I appreciate the suggestions! The decision to launch the second domain name was a key SEO strategy to target a completely different market segment (childbirth classes vs. doula training). What we realized was that those looking for information about childbirth were our larger potential client base. To try and go after those keywords with our existing website (trainingdoulas.com) would be like trying to target car sales with an auto mechanics website: related, but not really focused.

As for the plugin suggestions, I'm going to look into the MP Multisite User Sync plugin. I'd already spent a lot of time evaluating Woo Subscirptions and Memberships, and was about to commit when I found WPMU DEV's plugins. Thanks again for the suggestions, though. Glad to hear this is working on your sites.

• Dean

I think Multisite and Single Site setups both have their pros and cons. While there are a lot of advantages for Multisite some downsides can be in backing up and restoring and flexibility for individual sites. For example in a Single Site setup if there is an issue you can simply restore the whole site and only impact that site. I know you can also do this with SnapShot on a Multisite, but to individually back up each subsite one by one can take up a lot of resources on the network, and a long with first backing up the whole network can mean a great deal more storage spacing be required. I would be interested to hear of how others are dealing with this? Do you use SnapShot or something else? Are you backing up just the network as a whole, or all subsites individually as well? What do you do when a subsite admin asks you to restore their site after destroyed it and can't figure out how to fix it?

In terms of flexibility well anything you do the network impacts others. Also if two plugins or tools conflict you have too choose one and everyone needs to go with it. Also SEO plugins for example everyone will need to use the same one... but on a Single Site there is freedom.

However, for me Multisite is far more efficient to work with. You are invested in it and so if there is a problem it cannot be ignored. one fix and all subsites benefit. Premium resources and plugins can be shared in some cases and of course if you ever have to move hosts there is only one big site to move as opposed to lots of little ones...

If anyone has any input on the backing up and restoring of Multisites, I would be interested to hear it.

• r

I've been a fan of WPMU because you are the real deal when it comes to supporting a multisite installations. Multisite interests me because it is a way to provide a service to customers where they get a website upon signup (they don't even have to know it is a website, just an account with the ability to do website things) and you can manage all of your customer accounts (websites) with WPMU tools.

With WPMU tools, I can create sites for all my potential customers before I even contact them, using your auto site create tools. I'd like to create different sites based upon the different types of businesses I contact, letting them know their site is ready to use. Sites with their own set of categories, subcategories, tags, etc. Also, I plan on aggregating their content on a main site by categories, subcategories and tags. Additionally, you can add functionality and create tiers using plugins like ProSites, Membership, and third parties.

Obviously, there are lots of concerns for functionality, performance, security, etc. So being a one person venture, it is amazing to have a resource like WPMU available to at least give it a try for starters. I was also excited to see your hosting service, but I didn't see it mentioned in your hosting article on the 18th, so maybe that is not something you are looking to move any further with?

So the idea of having the ability to manage individual sites is great, but not if it means you can create batches of individual sites using a template, let people sign up and get an individual site, and be able to aggregate posts on a main site.

Looking forward, it would be great if WPMU got back to providing a white label mobile app - maybe react based? I have an Apppresser account, but that doesn't support multisite, just one app per site. I've also thought it might be better to publish more generic tools that require development but provide the foundation for something post related, instead of having to have a specific plugin for each. For instance, being able to post a classified ad, a coupon, an announcement and an event, without having to use all these different plugins.

I realize this isn't a completely clear statement, but wanted to share what I've been looking at WPMU for. Thanks again for the great work you do.

• Andi

So now at the end of the week, it would be nice to have a short summary of the discussion and its results, isn't it?

It for sure would help to target the needs of multisite and to improve them so that a multisite install would work just perfectly for a single customer like a single site install but with the big benefit that at any time a clone, a testing site or another site of the customer could be installed.

Biggest issue IMHO right now on multisite is that the HUB is still not capable to show the individual sites of a multisite installation (i.e. when using subfolders)

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.