Display issue with Community Plugins

I will want to know what I could do or implement that could make the community plugins to display all of the created communities when the page is on "Manage Communities" as this does not display all the communities created except for the first 10 communities created and this is abnormal when all the communities created are private and is going into 20+ communities.
Though I can see all the communities created when I am in the "Communities" page but you know that in this page there is absolutely no way to see the private code generated for the created communities except on the "Manage Communities" page.

Lastly, I want it that when my site admin creates a community and their user joins the community the Create Community should not show up, in other words this should be seen only by those who have the privilege of creating a community.

Thanks for your anticipated cooperation and response.

• Paul

I need to be on to the developer as I do not want random guessing answers. I asked for specific questions and I need specific answer from the developer.

@Temylar, I wanted to jump in here and advise that you need to work through the standard support channels. Joe is VERY knowledgable about the working of our products and was simply trying to point out per the information showing on this thread you were running BuddyPress but asking a question about the Communities plugins. Our Communities plugins can be thought of as a BuddyPress lite version. Meaning it is NOT advisable to have both BuddyPress and Communities active.

does not display all the communities created except for the first 10 communities created and this is abnormal when all the communities created are private and is going into 20+ communities.

I will advise the plugin code is very old. I'm not sure on your paging issue but will investigate.

seen only by those who have the privilege of creating a community

At the moment this 'ability' is wide open. Meaning all users have access to this. This was changed some 6 months ago at some other members' request to not have this setup for admins only. What we need to do is setup some user capabilities which then you can assign to your user roles or specific users within your system to control which users have access to the menu options. This will take development time to implement. At the moment you will need to live with the current setup.

Good day.

• Paul

I had some time this afternoon to look into this. Sure enough there were some errors on the paging logic. This is now corrected. Though not ideal. I would like to fund the time to rewrite the logic so it uses the standard WordPress table listing like you see on most all other panels like Posts, Pages, etc.

I also move the Add Communities form to its own menu page. This way it can be hidden if needed. See the next paragraph for discussion on the new role capabilities.

I also added some initial logic for user role capabilities. There are three options

communities_manage: Will show the 'Manage' menu option.
    communities_add: Will show the new Add menu option.
    communities_view: If disabled the user will not see the Communities section at all.

You can checkout the beta here.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2616987/WPMUDev/communities-1.1.9.2-Beta1.zip

Your review would be appreciated. Also, you will need to install a Role Manager like http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/members/ to let you apply the new role capability to your users.

• Temylar

@Paul,

On the dashboard menu inside the admin of my users the communities menu is not showing again and it used to show before the installation of that beta version.
    But when I go through my network or super admin site I could navigate to those users site and on clicking I could find that communities menu but when I log in with the credentials of the users (site admin), the communities menu was conspicuously not showing.

• Paul

@Temylar,

Again I apologize as I'm on some cold meds and not fully following you.

On the dashboard menu inside the admin of my users the communities menu is not showing again and it used to show before the installation of that beta version.

This is correct. Per your original start of this thread there was a need to hide the menus selectively form users. As I wrote on my reply about the beta (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/display-issue-with-community-plugins#post-378124) depending on the user's role (admin, editor, subscriber) the menus were turned off. You can use a role management plugin to enable these menus by user role or by specific user.

By default for super admin and site admin the menus should all be showing. If not then again please install the role mgmt plugin I mentioned. The plugin does not work under Network Admin. So you need to enable at the blog level. Once installed you will see Users > Roles menu option. This will show a list of your various User roles. Click a role to edit it.

I'm providing a screen showing my own 'editor' role where I've changed the options for community.

• Temylar

By default for super admin and site admin the menus should all be showing.

But the problem is that the reverse is now the case the Communities plugin shows under this admin menu before but now it is not showing again. You can check it out, though the other functions like adding communities is now standing alone as a sub menu.

If not then again please install the role mgmt plugin I mentioned. The plugin does not work under Network Admin. So you need to enable at the blog level

I have installed this plugin already. In fact I activated the two plugins together.
    How do we proceed from here. I know this is a wonderful plugin but actuallly it needs some touch up.

• Paul

@Temylar,

Thanks for the screenshots. But you are only providing half the information I need to debug this. What user are you logged in as to see these menus?

As I've stated a Super Admin and Blog Admin will by default have full right and thus see all menu options. See my screenshot.

As I mentioned in my previous post of tis thread I installed the older version of the plugins to a fresh Multisite system I use for testing. This system have a dozen test blogs. I installed the plugin and created a few Communities are different users (Super Admin, Admin, Editor, Subscriber).

I then installed the beta you are running.

* Logged in as Network (Super) Admin I'm able to see all menu items.
    * Logged in as blog admin I'm able to see all menu items
    * Logged in a subscriber I'm only shown the Communities and Find Communities menu options. See second screenshot.

All this without installing any roles management plugins. This is all default. If I wanted to I could installed the role plugins and add the capability to the subscriber roles to allow adding new Communities.

So provide me with some specific details. Give me some information on what users you are logged in as.

• Paul

@Temylar,

Per my previous comment I decided to change the logic. Hope this doesn't confuse. In this new beta all users have the same authority. Meaning all users (Super Admin, blog admin, editor, etc.) all have the capability to see all menu options.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2616987/WPMUDev/communities-1.1.9.2-Beta2.zip

From here the admin can use the roles management plugin to disallow access.

• Temylar

Your support has really been tremendous but the two screen shots I took was that of a blog admin site. I am able to see everything as a super admin, I can even go to those sites through my own super admin link and be able to see the communities menu but if I now switch back and login with the user credential of the blog admin, the community menu is no-where to be found.

That is the reason I decide to re-install the old communities and I refreshed the page (blog admin), immediately the menu shows up and again I decide to re-install the new plugin and alas, after refreshing the communities menu disappears.

I will try this other beta version again and give you back the outcome and if it still persists may be I will look at that members plugins and disable to see the outcome.

• Temylar

I now saw where the problem emanates from, I noticed one of the blog admins has that communities menu, then I was curious even before installing the beta 2, then I proceed to install beta 2 and the same thing happens, the others were not still showing while that particular blog admin site was still showing.

So I started troubleshooting and I found out that the rest were administrators in their blog and also were keymaster, so I proceed and reassign them as administrator and the keymaster user was no longer there and alas the communities shows up. I did the same thing for the rest of the site admin and all were now showing but what on earth I do not understand was who gave them the two roles and when you have the very old plugins the communities shows in all the sites.

I think I will make do with that first beta and any improvement that you want to implement should further be on that beta1. Also is it not possible to make do with this plugin without the need for the members plugin?

It seems strange and confusing sometimes. Thanks for your help, if I find anything again then I will report back to you.

Once again I really appreciate.

• Paul

@Temylar

I do not understand was who gave them the two roles

To my knowledge a user within WordPress can only be assigned to a single role. A user can only be Admin, Editor, Author. A user cannot be for example Editor & Author. However with the concept or role capabilities you can create custom roles that bland the capabilities from multiple roles. This is what the role manager plugin I've mentioned does.

I think I will make do with that first beta and any improvement that you want to implement should further be on that beta1. Also is it not possible to make do with this plugin without the need for the members plugin?

Actually, you do want the second beta. In the first beta I removed access to the Community menus based on the logged in users current capabilities. This is about to get somewhat technical.

Within the WordPress environment a plugin can assign new capabilities to user roles. This is what I'm doing with both beta versions. I assigned three new capabilities 'communities_manage', 'communities_add' and 'communities_view' When you assign new capabilities you can set this to 'on' or 'off'. What I did in the first beta was for admin users I set the values for the new capabilities to 'on'. But for non-admin users I set the value to 'off'. This was in hindsight wrong.

In the second beta I changed this to set the new capabilities to 'on' for all roles. The issue is that once the new capabilities are added to the system these defaults will not be changed. So for any author, editor, subscribers in your system these are currently set to 'off'. This is because you installed the first beta. If you tried the second beta on a new Multisite system you would see the difference.

So the solution for your current install only is to activate the Members plugin and 'adjust' the role capabilities for the non-admin roles.

Again by default from beta 2 all theses new capabilities are turned 'on'. So for others who install this plugin update they would not see a difference. But if they wanted to turn 'off' some of these capabilities they can install a role manager plugin and manage these.

• Paul

@Temylar,

I guess back to your original post of this thread.

page is on "Manage Communities" as this does not display all the communities created except for the first 10 communities created and this is abnormal when all the communities created are private and is going into 20+ communities.

Can you confirm that you are seeing the Previous/Next page links above the listing? This should now be showing on both the Communities and Manage Communities pages.

• Temylar

Yeap I can see the next page and the previous page now. But the problem that I am having now is that each time I update the blog admin under user and set the role again to Admin, the Community shows up and on navigating to another page, the Communities never shows again and at that point if I click on either the Communities or Manage Communities, it will just say that the user does not have access.

If I go back again to check the Blog Admin will be showing as the only user under Administrator and the Keymaster too has one user and it is still the same Blog admin that is a user under the keymaster. I think something is wrong and immediately it switches the Blog Admin to a Keymaster too, then it will recognise the role of that blog admin as a keymaster but not an Administrator that is the reason the Communities is going on and off the Dashboard admin menu.

What do you think that I could do?

• Paul

@Temylar,

Yeap I can see the next page and the previous page now.

good closing that issue.

if I click on either the Communities or Manage Communities, it will just say that the user does not have access.

Hmm. If the menu items are showing then that user should have access to the content on those pages. What user roles are you using when attempting to view either of these pages? For that user role how do you have the 3 capabilities setup?

and the Keymaster too has one user

This is confusing me. What is a Keymaster in your environment? If this a custom user role? What are the settings for this user roles capabilities?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.