Display latest activities only in LIVE STREAM

I want to display only 10 latest posts, comments, replies, activities. Only latest. How to configure the widget for that?
I don't want primitive activities of my website (54, 80, 88 days old ones ) to be displayed in a widget called LIVE Stream. Please help me configure it.

Note: Just like the Advertisement Screenshot of this LIVE STREAM plugin: ....David Davidson commented 3 minutes ago, .....Claire Sturges posted a new article 7 min ago.... etc.
at the URL: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/live-stream-widget/

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings abhisinha,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

The instructions located at https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/live-stream-widget/#usage clearly state you can check out the widget menu and set your options: which indeed includes the Total Items: How many posts do you want to show in total? This number is set to loop, once it has shown all of the items, it will start over again.

I don't want primitive activities of my website (54, 80, 88 days old ones ) to be displayed in a widget called LIVE Stream. Please help me configure it.

You will need to choose the number of items as mentioned above. Have you found it to work differently then this?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• abhisinha
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Turns out it collects only POSTS, COMMENTS and REPLIES in its stream. No UPDATES. Fine. But in the very first place the plugin fails [checked on SINGLE-SITE]
    The widget shows a fatal error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_blog_details()...

I'v fixed it by opening live-stream-widget/live-stream.php

on line 1040:

the function get_blog_details($item->blog_id) is being called without performing a check for Multisite installation.

I wrapped the 6 lines including line No. 1040 into a multisite check wrapper.

if ( is_multisite() ) {
    				$blog = get_blog_details($item->blog_id);
    				if ($blog) {
    					$blogs[intval($item->blog_id)] = $blog;
    				} else {
    					unset($blog);
    				}
    				}

Now it is running fine. Please advise if the fix is okay?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings abhisinha,

Thank you for your additional feedback and input, it is greatly appreciated.

The plugin was not intended to work on solo WordPress installations as indicated on its page.

However, your solution is not okay - it is fantastic and I am going to alert the lead developer to your post and thank you for this.

Lets see what he has to say about your clever solution.

Cheers, Joe

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@abhisinha, thanks for the catch on the error message. Having the plugin work on a single site is fairly new development. I'll add your fix to the code.

As for the 'LIVE' option this was dropped over looping content queried while Posts, Comments. The thought being less AJAX polling of the server. But will be adding this back as it does seem to be a popular request now.

• abhisinha
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks @aecnu and thanks @paul for rep points and considering the fix. Hope some deprived users(single site) will benefit from an inclusion of the fix. Please also include the much needed 'LIVE' option with a checkbox on the admin side / widget side. Thank you.
    ~ayaz.K

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@abhisinha, just thinking out loud here on the 'live' option. So one of the reasons it was dropped was some users didn't have constant live updates for their site which would keep updated. They may have some period during the day where the posts/comments were multiple. But during the slow hours this meant the widget was pretty much static with no new content. Which makes it really no different than the default Latest Posts/Comment widgets from WordPress.

Thoughts?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2616987/WPMUDev/live-stream-widget-1.0.2-Beta1.zip

@abhisinha, I've updated the widget to pull in the notices via AJAX. Again there will be no scrolling with this option. As the page loads the is queries the latest items (just like the scrolling version). While the page is displayed the widget will poll the server every number of seconds. When new notices are found they will be displayed at the top of the listing automatically.

Here is a screen showing the new dropdown selector for Live vs scrolling widget display.
    http://screencast.com/t/AE9Jnm3UnVM

Your review of the changed would be appreciated.

Paul

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.