display non-public sites in site categories

This is an issue for which I believe there was a resolution in past, but at this point it appears that the current Site Categories plugin (we have 1.0.9.1 network activated at ds.lclark.edu) fails to include non-public sites. This is inconsistent with the Site Directory settings, which include a Hide Sites option so that one can toggle non-public sites on/off. Can you please include a similar toggle for Site Categories? This would make our use of the two plugins more consistent, and my students could gain access to login-only sites via Site Categories.

Thanks,

Jim P.

• Jim
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

No! I have already had this conversation with Paul in a separate support thread (see here for his response from Feb, stating that he would add this feature). The beta he produced did include this feature. Why was it removed?

Let's not go backward! I will also post to that thread.

Jim P.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again Jim, I hope you're well today!

I'm afraid that Paul is no longer working with us so please be a little patient while we reassign this plugin to a new plugin and they get familiar with it.
    I'm afraid sometimes things that are beyond our control happen and delays like this occur.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Dharmendra
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hello Jim,

I hope you are well today :slight_smile:

I have dug into the code and added the same functionality that Paul has added before.

Could you please download and extract the attached site-categories.zip file and copy the extracted site-categories.php file at \wp-content\plugins\site-categories\ location?

Please note that this solution will work as a workaround here and might be wiped out when you update the plugin.

I will ask to the lead developer to include this change in the next release if it's feasible.

Please have a try and let me know how it works.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Take care and have a fantastic day! :slight_smile:

• Jim
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I've now installed and tested the plugin modification; see here for site categories page. I've turned Include Non-Public Sites to Yes, and this has affected the count on the landing page but not the display (e.g., see Group Sites, which includes two login-only sites and one public site; only the public site is displayed). So, the count (3) appears correct, but when you click the category you still only see one site.

Do let me know if you have a further modification that may address the above.

Regards,

Jim P.

• uol
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hello all - we're currently working with a similar set up in that we would like to display a list of non public sites to logged in users. Has there been any progress on this feature since Jim's question?

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey there, joss!

The last update to Site Categories was previous to when this thread was started, and I don't see this feature listed in any changelogs.

The more interest the devs see surrounding a potential new feature, the more likely it is to make it into the next release, so +1s from your fellow members can help here a lot.

Thanks, joss!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.