Display past events from a particular category?

What is the correct shortcode to use (and any addons I should enable) to show a list of PAST events in a given category?

I have tried a lot of combinations, and so far nothing is working correctly....but instead of telling you all of my mishaps, I would like to know "the right way". Then if that does not work, I will let you know.

• Rupok

Hi kalico, hope you had a wonderful day.

Actually you should be able to show all expired events from a specific category with the following shortcode with parameter:
    [eab_expired categories="ID"]
    But when I tried to use this, "categories" parameter is not working. It's showing all expired events from all categories. So this is a confirmed bug. I'm reporting this to our developer right now.

Please keep in mind, our developers work round the clock and they have to deal with lots of critical issues and other things. So it may take a little while for them to check this and release a fix.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• kalico

Hi Rupok - OK thank you for that information. It raises two questions:

1) The use of "expired" vs "archive"
    So I have to use "expired"? I'm confused here because I thought that both "open" and "archived" events would show up in [eab_archive].

Not that I think it's logical...but that is what I've been told and have read on other posts here. In fact, I am confused by the meanings of "open, archived, closed, expired" and how they relate to each other. Since events don't automatically expire (unless I use the addon) it seems that the default is just to go from "open" to "archived" when the date of the event passes.

Archived events, then, could be displayed using a starting date (per the shortcode). Although in my experience, that is not working properly either.... (I am really looking forward to the E+ updates!! )

If you can explain anything about how this should be working or future plans for this functionality, it might help me decide how to proceed.

2) The "cateogory" bug
    I'm aware of the "category" bug, but didn't realize it was affecting all shortcodes. I have only seen it when using "network=yes" in a shortcode, and it's reported in one of my other tickets.

In fact, I have one shortcode that is working just fine with category, and that's what threw me here.

I have [eab_archive category="nroc-info-sessions"] on this page.

It does work to show only the events in that category, but it's showing future events, not past ones. In fact, I suspect it's only showing events for the current month, even though I have "Default to All Events" enabled (this was reported as a bug in another thread of mine).

I will look forward to a better understanding of how to properly use expired events. That understanding may inform my overall strategy and reduce the number of questions I need to ask. (Because surely I am exhausting you guys...!)

Thank you!

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello kalico,

So I have to use "expired"? I'm confused here because I thought that both "open" and "archived" events would show up in [eab_archive].

I know that this is confusing but to strictly show past events you need to use [eab_expired] - by default [eab_archive] will show events from today, so future events.
    You can force it to show past events by adding date argument with date from the past, but as you said this doesn't work as expected - did you create thread with this issue?

2) The "cateogory" bug
    I'm aware of the "category" bug, but didn't realize it was affecting all shortcodes. I have only seen it when using "network=yes" in a shortcode, and it's reported in one of my other tickets.

This is different bug and its not affecting all shortcodes. It looks like category parameter is not working for expired and calendar (when using network parameter) shortcodes.
    Those are two separate issues.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Ash

Hello kalico

Hope you are well

About the shortcode bug of expired event, I am sorry for the wrong explanation from Rupok :

[eab_expired categories="ID"]

Categories parameter should be used when you want events from multiple categories like:

[eab_expired categories="slug1, slug2"]

or

[eab_expired categories="id1, id2"]

To get events from single category, please use "category" parameter. Like:

[eab_expired category="id1"]

or

[eab_expired category="slug"]

For multisite, there is no "network" parameter, so it won't work I am afraid.

Hope it helps Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• kalico

Hey Ash Thanks for that. No worries about Rupok's suggestion being a little off....I don't have any idea how you guys keep track of all these plugin options, much less come up with so many awesome outside-the-box suggestions for us. Rupok is forgiven.

So....this all makes sense for using [eab_expired].

But I have one(?) more point of clarification about using [eab_archive], which is where I started this thread.....

The instructions for [eab_archive] offer date parameters. Can you explain how these work?

date - Starting date - default to now (date) -- The example shows a 2011 date, so I figured I could put a starting date in the past, but it doesn't seem to work - even with "Display all events" add on enabled (which I may also be misunderstanding the purpose of).

relative_date - A date relative to now or to date argument (strtotime-compatible string) -- I have tried quite a few things in here, and nothing seems to work. But I'm probably doing it wrong.

Thank you!!

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello kalico,

Huh. I just found that using [eab_archive date="2016-05-26"] works quirky... It should be starting date for showing events, but it will not show events if there is no event on starting date. And then it ignores default to all events add-on and shows only one month events.
    Same issue is with [eab_archive relative_date="-6 week"] - it will show only events from the relative month

So this looks like bug - and I'm reporting it to developer.

Thanks for digging into Events+ plugin and finding all those bugs - you help us make it better.

kind regards,
    Kasia