Display sitewide posts with certain tags anywhere in the network?

Hello everyone!

I would like to display recent posts in a widget, filtered through given tags (inclusive, not exclusive filter).

What have I tried? I have searched for about 60 minutes and read through what I believe the following plugins can and cannot do:

- global-site-tags
- recent-custom-posts
- tag-feed (?)
- recent-global-posts-widget
- recent-global-posts-feed
(- autoblog)

I also tried to set up some of them, especially the third and fourth.

After a feed is only available to an RSS reader (?) and the recent global posts do not allow selection by *tag*, does the current park of options offer a path for me?

Of course I could try a workaround with a custom post type in the recent custom posts plugin, but it would be a workaround.

Should I try to strip RSS information into an external recent sitewide posts plugin? But RSS would not work for already-tagged posts?

Has WPMUDEV built in the functions I look for and did I overlook them?

Please help me with your expertise to find a plugin or solution that does the job :slight_smile:!

A great thank you for any short comment!

(p.s. of course, I have post indexer installed ...)

• worcaholik

Hello Tyler!

Brings some relief to know you've also tried to dance with this tough girl! Wish she were as sociable!

In this blog, I have various post types that for example contain audio, or radioplay - but also some normal posts containing listening material that I sometimes add two days after writing - I want to be able to group that for, i.e. audio-preferring surfers. Same with images, and combinations:

For example, I'd want to work with combined selections from the blog: "Give me everything that is tagged 'poem' and 'spoken', or 'image' and 'music' " -

That's why a custom post type would still have me wait for a handy solution, but I am truly happy to hear that we've been looking well enough not to overlook something, then I can with respect wish peace to the no-dancing-lady :slight_smile:

Wishing a great day to you !

p.s. Displaying only headers (as links to original posts) would do :slight_smile: !

• Tyler Postle

Hey Clemens,

Sorry I never got back to you earlier on this one! After seeing this, I just asked one of my colleagues and he doesn't know of any plugin that will achieve this either.

I'm definitely going to keep this in the back of my mind though for the next time I speak to one of the developers. If I find out a good solution for you I'll definitely post back :slight_smile: Interested myself on this one.

Second level support is still flagged, they may be able to come up with a custom workaround as well.

Hope you're doing well!

• Jose

Hi there @worcaholik,

Hope you are doing great!

I made this special customization of the Recent Global Posts Widget plugin for you.

Just download the attached file, extract widget-recent-global-posts.php, and replace it under the plugin folder:

As you can see in the image below, now you have a new filed in the widget settings where you can specify the tags to be showed using the tag slug separated by commas.

Please let me know if this works fine for you.

• worcaholik

Hello Jose!

I am just back from trying to put your programming to work, and only the screenwords [truly thankful] or [big smile] may tell you what I feel :slight_smile: !

So good you worked on this! Makes the specific distribution of thought-streams so much easier throughout the network! Information pleasure!
    Now with force stopping myself from more thank-you-stampedes!

I realize that the audio player tags are not translated into the audioplayer itself but are displayed as tags, now even with this little spice, all I asked for does work and for me this is much already, so with your agreement I mark this as resolved :slight_smile: ! Still, a hint would be appreciated to make the audio player work as well.

Have more of a great time, and tell me when I can do something for you, like, writing a song about a specific topic or whatever :slight_smile:

p.s. Also thank you, Tyler, for making this contact and helping it to happen!

• Jose

I really appreciate your feedback!
    I'm happy to hear it.

Regarding the audio player tags, I'm not sure what you mean to be honest. Too much threads and plugins in my head I think. :slight_smile:

If it is possible, please create a specific thread for that issue including screenshots, detailed description, a link back to this thread if necessary, and maybe a song about it :wink:.

Have a great day!

• Jose

Hey there @Chris!

My apologizes for let you hanging without response for so long!

I'm attaching the customization that you asked for :slight_smile:

Download the attachment, extract the recent-posts.php and replace it under the following location:

Now, you will be able to use the tag and category filters like this:
    [globalrecentposts include_cat="dummy-category, foo-category" include_tags="bar-tag, another-tag"]

Each parameter is an array of tags/categories slugs that will be included in the query. If you left it empty, it will include all the posts.

Let me know how it works and maybe I'll be pushing this feature to future releases.