Displaying Specific Post Categories from one site across a network

I have used the Recent Global Posts plugin to achieve displaying posts across the network. However, I am wondering if the shortcode allows for filtering of post categories? I do not see the syntax in any of the documentation. Also the links themselves link back to the original site. I have used plugins in the past on multisite that have allowed for a specific post category to display and the post itself to open under the site that the post was displayed upon. Can this be achieved with this plug-in?

• Sajid

Hello Avital Web,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am afraid, its not possible to filter the posts with category and mapping the link with current site instead of original site. Sorry!

This is kind of an RSS feed, that lets you easily display recents posts of your blog throughout your network.

Making it work like that would require a good deal of customization, that is, unfortunately beyond the level of support we can provide here. If you want to further extend its funcationality according to your own requirements then you have to hire a professional from jobs board.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

• Avital Web

Sajid,
    Thanks for the response, Hope you are well.
    So if this cannot be achieved with Recent Global Posts or any other plug-in within the repository perhaps adding something like ThreeWp or Network Posts Extended would be beneficial for WPMUDEV. These plug-ins achieve what We are aiming for. Our only limitation is Php versions.

Now I am curious if this can be achieved using Switch to blog function?
    https://codex.wordpress.org/WPMU_Functions/switch_to_blog

This may require modifying core and I still wont know if the PHP will be compatible with our present server version. It is also not advised that we preform queries such as this on the front end. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks.

Theo - Avital Web

• Sajid

Hello @Avital Web,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Thanks for making a feature request. Its unlikely that this would get added in the roadmap to development but I am still moving it to features and feedback section for consideration. Please note that, a request will only get added in the development if it gets enough +1's from other members of community and also if its possible to seamlessly integrate with current codebase of the plugin.

I don't think switch to blog function would do the job here. Since, that will still get the post links of other site where these are published instead from where these are being displayed.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

• mbitcon

Hi There

This thread is not the newest, but as I have the same need now, I wanted to chime in.
    I had a look at the database table that global recent posts uses and noticed that there is a table "network_term_relationships" in which the categories of all indexed posts are saved. So it seems we already have all the data that is needed to filter the posts for category. Which for me is all I need. I do not see much value in having the post be merged into the site, a link to the original is fine.

So what is missing is a shortcode to filter only posts from a given category. If we take into account that another filter (Only posts of a certain post_type) already exists, it should be rather easy to copy that function and adapt it to to post categories. I would probably need 2 days for it, but hey, you are superhero coders, and probably only need half a day for this very cool feature :wink:

Greetings Mike

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.