DNS issues with new sites

Hi

I set up x4 new Digital Ocean Droplets running Wordpress, and set each up following exactly the same process: Start the Droplet, set up Wordpress, change the domain setting from the IP address to the domain, point the DNS.

The first two work fine, the second two are stuck in DNS loops:

1. ScotVote.info
2. IvanyActions.ca

1. NovaScotiaCrafts.ca
2. GigWork.online

I've checked the DNS settings and they're all the same, they all correctly have an A record for their required IP.

Given this uniformity I have zero idea why this is happening. Any ideas??

thanks, Neil.

• Dimitris

Hey there Neil McEvoy,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

Could you please inform us what kind of setup did you choose for your droplets?
    Did you follow some DigitalOcean tutorials? Please advise!

1. NovaScotiaCrafts.ca
    2. GigWork.online

These sites are giving a "too many redirects" error.

Have you tried to deactivate all plugins to see if that makes any difference at all?
    You can do so by connecting to your server via FTP and renaming the plugins folder, from
    /wp-content/plugins/ to /wp-content/plugins.deactivated/.
    If that resolves the issue, try activating them back, and perform the same conflict test by starting renaming each plugin folder name instead, like from /wp-content/plugins/snapshot/ to /wp-content/plugins/snapshot.deactivated/, until you get the conflicted combination.
    Ref: http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/how-to-deactivate-all-plugins-when-not-able-to-access-wp-admin/
    Here's a nice flow chart for a generic conflict test:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Support-Process-Support-Process.gif

Redirects may also be coming from .htaccess file.
    You can try to backup current file (rename it to htaccess.old) and create a new one using only the appropriate default WP rules depending the version and type (single/multisite) of your installation. All default rules can be found here: https://codex.wordpress.org/htaccess

Hope that was some help, let us know about your results!
    Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Neil McEvoy

Hi Dimitris

To start answering your questions, yes that's the nature of my challenge. I'm relatively skilled with the Digital Ocean services now, such that I have a simple process that works fine for two of the sites.

It's exactly the same DNS config steps, the same sequence of theme/module installations, so if it were a problem in that area they'd all fail the same way.

Similarly I didn't make any sys admin level changes at all (.htaccess etc.) so any fault at that level would have been repeated by the Digital Ocean provisioning process.

I suspect the problem lies with the theme (Rehub); I boot a vanilla Wordpress and then use WP Cloner to copy down a template site set up. What happened with the two error sites is they worked fine, in DNS terms, when I booted them just as vanilla wordpress sites. When I added the theme, they went into the loop. I'm going to explore this process again to see what happens.

for the two working sites it was the same process, with the same theme, but they worked fine.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Neil!

If you suspect the theme to be the culprit here, the simplest test would be to go to the "wp-content/themes" folder and rename the folder of that theme to something else. If there's e.g. Twenty Seventeen theme available, WP could then switch to it or at least it would display a blank page on front-end but with no redirect loop.

If that would confirm that the theme is the issue, we could then investigate it further. It could as well exclude the theme from the list of potential culprits and that would show us that the issue is different. One way or another, it would surely narrow down possible reasons.

I'm going to explore this process again to see what happens.

Keep us updated about results please :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam