DNS pointing malfunction and best practices advice for Snapshot between servers.

Hi Guys,
I'm a bit shocked that a simple change at Godaddy DNS records "@" and "www" ---previously pointing to a working Wordpress site hosted on Amazon SES server---cannot work anymore once switched back from another IP address in a span of 2 hours. Is this a normal Amazon EC2 behavior? (Never touched an amazon server and this is another colleague's setup. His server was preventing me to install a needed plugin, so I took matters into my own hand and was depending on Snapshot to restore things to normal.

Also, there are times WPMUDEV snapshot install is on one server and then I point to another server and install Snapshot. If I simply point my DNS back to the original server, will Snapshot still work? Because for some reason, even a a zip upload or a file import from the Cloud wouldn't work for some reason.

• Dimitris

Hey there GlizKen,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us! I haven't setup an Amazon server before but I'll do my best here and I may ping our sys admins for more insights on this. :slight_smile:

I'm a bit shocked that a simple change at Godaddy DNS records "@" and "www" ---previously pointing to a working Wordpress site hosted on Amazon SES server---cannot work anymore once switched back from another IP address in a span of 2 hours. Is this a normal Amazon EC2 behavior?

To make that clear, you had an Amazon server pointed to your domain's DNS records via '@' and 'www' records. Then you changed those values so that your domain was pointing to another server and now you reverted that change in order to use the previous Amazon server.
    Did I get that right?

Domain name doesn't resolve at all (could this be a matter of DNS records propagating?) or are there any other issues that came up after those changes? Please advise!

Also, there are times WPMUDEV snapshot install is on one server and then I point to another server and install Snapshot. If I simply point my DNS back to the original server, will Snapshot still work? Because for some reason, even a a zip upload or a file import from the Cloud wouldn't work for some reason.

I can't see a reason why Snapshot wouldn't work in either of those servers.
    If you find yourself struggling with that, please create a separate thread as we tend to keep topics related to single member and single issue each time. This way it's easier for more WPMUDEV support staff members to follow up if required and we produce better forum threads for future use from other users out there! :slight_smile:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.