DNS Records for Multi-Domains

Hi. I read that to use a domain on Pro-Sites I need to set a wildcard subdomain that points to the IP of the multisite. Do I need to set any kind of DNS record for the main domain as well?

Also, I want to use subdomains on the multisite like subdomain.domain.com so I will need to set a wildcard subdomain of other subdomains like *.subdomain.domain.com. Would there be any problems with a configuration like this?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Steve

Are we talking about Multi Domains or Domain Mapping? I am asking because you have talked about pro sites too.

Multi Domains is basically, you can use another (or as many as you want) domain for you network. Like abc.com and xyz.com will be exactly same site, and user can register with any if those domains.

To use Multi Domains, you must create wildcard subdomain for each added domain. The wildcard subdomains should point to the main site directory, not to any other folder. About DNS, it’s how you point your additional domain to the main site.

If you use IP to point then make sure:

1. The IP is dedicated

2. The IP points to the main site, that means, if you enter the IP in the browser, then the main site should load, this is important.

If you use nameserver instead of IP, then create the additional domain as addon domain in the main site server and point to the same directory of main site. All domains should have same nameserver.

Now, about domain mapping, every subsite can be used with one or more additional domain. Like, if you subsite is abc.network.com then it can be accessed by xyz.com. Rest of the settings are same about DNS or nameserver.

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Yeah it should be okay. Though some hosts doesn’t allow wildcard of subdomains, so you may want to be sure about that with your host.

I am not aware of how to point to a wildcard subdomain though, but if you can set it up and then it work :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• Steve
    • Flash Drive

Nice one Ash!! I think my hosting company is ok with wildcards of subdomains. I set it up the same way you said but instead of * I used *.subdomain. Everything seems to be ok, the DNS has propagated and typing urls in a browser like something.subdomain.domain.com direct to the main site. Seems promising. I guess I’ll know for sure when I create a test site.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Steve

No, this is not possible I am afraid. That sitename1 part is basically your subsite’s identity. If you remove Multi Domains, that subsite will still work with subsite1.mainsite.com domain. So, that part has to be unique.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.