Do

Do you have a Thorough set instructions or the database plugin as the plugin doesn't say anything about what the options are, for instance

whilst in the general setting page on initial setup can the option be changed later to be more suitable to individual listing

Media manager: enable full media manager for feature image uploads
that sentence does not relay what this option does exactly
This doesn't tell me what this option does or why i would want to activate or de activate it

Display count in parent categories:? not sure what this is either
Count of categories:? not very clear either is this for individual listing or will this limit that total amount of categories for the whole site

Count of sub-category:? again not clear

Display count for sub categories: not clear

Empty sub-category:

Pagination position: not clear

Pagination Range not clear

I have read this https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-directory/ but again ity just sort of skims opver the meaning of the item and does not clearly explain alot of things

i am hoping that alot of the settings can be modded to suit each individual listiung even if it neeeds custom coding do i have that options?

• Luís

Hi David ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Regarding to your questions:

1) Media Manager

It allows the user to insert a featured image using the Media Library. If "enable full media manager for feature image uploads" option is unchecked, it will be displayed a button to browse an image (using a dialog window) from your computer and upload it as a "Featured image".

If this option is checked, a link will show up instead of this button and clicking on it will bring a full (standard) WP Media Library media uploader (the same used for adding media to any post/page).

2) Display count in parent categories

It's just count the number of listing that belongs to the parent category, not the count of all subcategories listings.

3) Count of categories

The number of categories you want to show in the list of categories. The list of categories can be displayed using the shortcode:

[dr_list_categories style="grid"]

Check all the shortcodes available in Listings -> Settings -> Shortcodes

4) Count of sub-category

The number of sub-categories that will be displayed for each category in the list of categories. Works in the same way as the "Count of categories".

5) Empty sub-category

If a category don't have any listing, it will be hidden from the sub-categories list.

6) Pagination position

This will define where you want to show the pagination in the "Listing" page (by default uses the /listings slug) .

7) Pagination Range

It's supposed to define the number of page links you want to show in the pagination, however, it's not working well, so, I've confirmed this bug and flagged the developer so they can get it fixed up asap.

Either myself or the developer will reply back here once we have pushed a fix out.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• David

Media manager:

Still an issue you can explain the technical function, but that doesn't tell me exactly what that option does, it is not made clear. Do you have examples of the different options and what the end result will be.
    I am thinking of the featured image option when making a post in wp but I am trying to create a business listing site with business listings not blog with blog posts. So this does not explain to me in any way how this works.

Display count in parent categories:

Really not very clear and still makes no sense to what that option is or does. need examples and more detailed explanation not just the technical term for what this option does. I have read the documentation and I have already seen the technical explanation of what all the options are. But to a non coder this does not explain anything.

Count of categories:

Again you explain the technical explanation but not the real explanation for what this does and how to apply it and an example.
    I am assuming that this will show the total number of categories that the site as a whole can display.
    Is this option for when a user is making a listing so we can limit the amount of categories they display there listing in or is it for the user/customer facing public side, so a customer can see all the categories of products or services that this particular website has to offer them.

For instance a customer would see the following:

option 1-10 listings public facing:

Mechanic
    Welder
    Tyre fitter
    Exhaust repairs
    Spray painting
    Auto electrical
    Suspension
    Modifications
    Roadworthy certificates
    Vehicle registration

Option 2:

A user making there own business listing would see the following
    Lets assume I am making a business listing for a web developer, my listing options would be to list in up to 4 categories max.

Web development
    PHP Development
    Website maintenance
    Website custom coding

So you can see the difference between the number of categories options, now I need to know what this setting applies to exactly and if possible an example of the explanation.

Empty sub-category:

Same issue as above you can tell me what this does technically but not in a way that explains whether or not I want to use it. Again I have to assume that this is a public facing customer side option.

Say I have a categories for:
    PHP development
    Bug fixing
    Support & Maintenance
    WP training

So again assuming I have no supplier for the category WP training then this category will not show up to a user when searching our website for products or services?

Pagination position:

Need proper explanation for what this does not the technical term only.

Pagination Range

Same here

Thanks for your help but I am trying to point out there is a massive difference between being a coder and almost being a teacher, being able to clearly explain something requires teaching skills and patience a coder requires none of the above and most coders i know hate trying to explain anything to anyone in layman's terms/ plain English

• Luís

Hi David ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Let me try re-formulate and give you some examples of all the options:

1) Media manager

This option is to define the way the user can upload the listing feature image in the "Add Listing"page.

1.1) If "enable full media manager for feature image uploads" option is unchecked, it will be displayed a button to browse an image (using a dialog window) from your computer and upload it as a "Featured image".

1.2) If this option is checked, a link will show up instead of this button and clicking on it will bring a full (standard) WP Media Library media uploader (the same used for adding media to any post/page).

2) Display count in parent categories

This option is to define the presentation of the categories in the "Categories page" that can be create using the shortcode:

[dr_list_categories style="list"]

It just count the number of listing that belongs to the parent category, not the count of all subcategories listings.

3) Count of categories

This option is to define the number of categories to be listed in the "Categories page". As you can see in the image above, are only shown 3 "parent" categories (Category 1, Category 2, Category 3) the number defined in this field (in this case 3). You can have the categories you want, but in this field you can limit the number you want to show.

4) Empty sub-category

This option is to define the presentation of the sub-categories in the "Categories page" too.

As you can see in the above image, the "subcategory 3", don't have any listing, so, if you check the option "Empty sub-category", this sub-category will not be shown.

5) Pagination position

This option is to define the position of the pagination in the "Listings" page. It can be on the top or in bottom of the page, or in both places:

6) Pagination Range

Looking to the image below, you can see that was displayed 3 page links, to navigate to the different pages (1, 2, 3).

It's supposed define the number of page links you want to show in the pagination. The range of pages, so if in this field you define the value "2", the above example will only show 2 pages instead of all of them (I only have 3 pages, so, it only show 3), with the links to first and last page.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.