Do I need individual Facebook apps for each of my sites?

Regarding Ultimate Facebook plugin:

Do I need a new and separate Facebook app with ID and secret number for each of my websites? or will one do for all?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Neal,

I hope you're having a nice day and thank you for your question!

In FB app settings (Settings -> Basic) there's an "App Domains" filed that needs to be filled. It does allow you to use multiple domains at once so for development purpose it could work.

However, in order to use FB app (which is needed for Ultimate Facebook plugin) on a "live" site that app must be published and this requires setting up a "Site URL" and at least "Terms of Service URL" values. These fields doesn't allow multiple values and should be consistent so if an app is running e.g. on "domain.com" site the "Site URL" and "Terms of Service URL" should point to the an URL in the "domain.com" domain. Otherwise Facebook may reject publish request for an app and as a result it won't work.

Long story short then: yes, you need a separate apps for separate sites, at least those that are under different domains :slight_smile:

I hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• neal_umphred
    • The Incredible Code Injector

A

Ultimate Facebook settings > Facebook Connect > Redirect on login > Select your site area (above), then fill in the relative URL fragment:

I assume that I want newbies to head right to my homepage (which is the blog page) and see what's up. Do I need to fill anything in the "relative URL fragment" field?

Thanks!

N

• neal_umphred

A

RE: Ultimate Facebook

Ultimate Facebook settings > Autopost to Facebook > Allow frontend autoposting to Facebook > Enable this option to allow auto-publishing on Facebook with frontend posting plugins

Is Jetpack Sharing a "frontend posting plugin"?

N

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey Neal!

Jetpack Sharing module (or a JP Sharing plugin which is basically module taken out of Jetpack and converted into the standalone plugin) is a tool that adds sharing buttons to blog posts. You can use it for example to add "Twitter", "Reddit", "Google+" or even "Email" buttons in order to let the visitors easily share your content with their friends/audience.

The "frontend posting" plugin is every plugin that let you (or registered users of your site, those that have proper capabilities) publish posts/pages on your site without even reaching the dashboard. Here are some examples of such plugins:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-post-frontend-plugins/

Best regards,
    Adam

• neal_umphred

A

My apologies: I meant that I use Jetpack Publicize! The settings for Publicize are in the same area as Sharing settings, so I confused the two.)

So, are Publicize and Ultimate Facebook compatible? or do I have to deactivate one of them?

N

PS: Thanks for the link; I have a better understanding of frontend posting now.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Neal!

That's indeed quite a different story :slight_smile: The Jetpack Publicize does something similar to Ultimate Facebook autoposting so if you're using it to post to Facebook it may cause conflict. I admit I haven't tested both of these plugins at the same time but I think it would be better to use only one of those at the time.

That doesn't mean that Jetpack Publicize will interfere with "entire" Ultimate Facebook plugin but if it comes to its part that "doubles" features - I'd go for only one of them, whichever suits your needs/habits better :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• neal_umphred

A

That's wahat I thought you might say. Thanks, I will go with ultimate Facebook.

But first, some backtracking:

Ultimate Facebook settings > Permissions & Tokens > Allowing permissions > Reset auth tokens.

When I depress this button, I receive this error message:

Can't Load URL: The domain of this URL isn't included in the app's domains. To be able to load this URL, add all domains and subdomains of your app to the App Domains field in your app settings.

What does that mean?

What is the "App Domains field in your app settings"?

What am I supposed to do?

Thanks,

N

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey Neal!

You need to add the domain name of your site to the Facebook APP configuration. To do this please go to developers.facebook.com page and:

- select your app from "My Apps" drop down list
    - go to "Settings -> Basic" page
    - you'll find the fields there such as "APP Id", "Secret Key", "Namespace".... and "App Domains" - that's where you need to put the domain of your website.

Best regards,
    Adam

• neal_umphred

A

I am still stuck on video tutorial 5.

Ultimate Facebook settings > Permissions & Tokens > Allowing permissions

Under the 'Reset auth tokens' button, there are three LED-like lights blinking left to right. For 24 hours.

When I depress the 'Reset auth tokens' button, I still get an Error message: "Can't Load URL: The domain of this URL isn't included in the app's domains. To be able to load this URL, add all domains and subdomains of your app to the App Domains field in your app settings."

I have the domain in the App Domains field; attached is a screenshot.

What's next?

N

• neal_umphred

MILAN

Thanks for the response.

With just nealumphred.com = "Can't Load URL: The domain of this URL isn't included in the app's domains. To be able to load this URL, add all domains and subdomains of your app to the App Domains field in your app settings."

With just http://www.nealumphred.com = "Can't Load URL etc."

With both nealumphred.com + http://www.nealumphred.com = "Can't Load URL etc."

When I add http://nealumphred.com or http://www.nealumphred.com, Ultimate Facebook converts it to nealumphred.com

What's next?

NEAL

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Neal,

Can I join here? :slight_smile:

Could you add my test FB account as an admin of your FB app so I could check out your settings, you can add me by using this FB ID 100008799491488.

Please grant support access to your site as well so I could check what exactly is happening on that end.
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Neal,

Unfortunately still nothing, I did have quite a few apps that I was admin of so perhaps FB didn't like that, I removed couple of those now so maybe that will do it.

You can also try with the email address this time so we can see if that makes any difference:
    contactbaber [at] gmail.com

Best regards,
    Predrag

• neal_umphred

P

Okay . . .

I have entered the FB ID number that you gave me in 'Username.'

I have entered the name you gave me in 'First Name' and 'Last Name.'

I have entered the email address you gave me in 'Email.'

Role is 'Administrator.'

Give it a try.

N

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Neal,

I'm actually not sure to what are you referring with the above because there shouldn't be any fields like those when adding new administrator.

Can you try following these steps to add me as admin.
    1. Go to your FB App
    2. Go to Roles panel
    3. Click on Add Administrators
    4. Add my FB ID - 100008799491488
    5. Click Submit and that should be it

Let me know when I can check again.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Neil,

Yeah, that was it, I'm able to access your app now and what I saw is that you're actually using completely different app in Ultimate Facebook settings than the one you gave me access to.

I have changed this to correct app so please try to reset auth tokens now and it should be working fine.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• neal_umphred

P

Success! Thanks.

I followed the WPMU video tutorial twice, so how did I end up with a completely different app than the one the videos instructed me to use?

Also, I have three other sites with the exact same problem, so please explain to me what I did wrong so 1) I can correct those sites, and 2) I don't do it again in the future.

Thanks again!!!

N

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Neal,

Were you using the API key from the video itself, if yes, that's the issue, each FB APP created has unique ID and Secret.
    You can see it in app dashboard, for example on screenshot you posted earlier here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/do-12#post-1110852

You can see the App ID on left and Secret on right, secret is hidden by default so you need to click on Show button to view it.
    Those two need to be entered in Ultimate Facebook settings:

Let us know if you have any followup questions :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• neal_umphred

P

No. I copied the unique API key and secret number from each new Facebook app. Hence I have four unique sets of numbers on my four sites.

I just did it for the fifth time for my Rather Rare Records site.

Again, Ultimate Facebook tells me "Successfully connected."

Again, it fails to work.

So, unless you did something different, then there's something weird going on, as my sites should all work with Ultimate Facebook.

N

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Neil,

The API key on your site I was working on was nothing close to the one from the FB App you made me admin of so that was definitely the issue there, not sure what's happening on other site.

I can check your other site as well if you can grant me access to Rather Rare Records site and of course add me as admin on FB app for that site.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• neal_umphred

P

1. Good day! It's 3:30 AM here, but I don't sleep a lot in my old age. The coffee is kicking in so I'm ready.

2. Just so I know I ain't too crazy (or too old), I checked my sites again and all the API keys and secret numbers are correct. Each site tells me I am successfully hooked up with Facebook. Yet none of the sites actually IS hooked up with Facebook!

3. I have added you as Facebook admin to ratherrarerecords.com and allowed Support Access.

Thanks in advance!

N

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Neal,

Oh, we are in completely different time zones, it's half past noon here, let's get this sorted out so you can go get some rest :slight_smile:

Two things in your FB App for this site:
    1. Under Settings panel you were using your domain with www, so I added non www one as well
    2. Under App Review you didn't publish your app which is required for it to connect.
    I did this for you as well so you should be good to go now, go to Ultimate Facebook settings and reset your auth token and let us know if it's working.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• neal_umphred

P

Success! All four sites are connected.

Now I can go back to those bloody video tutorials and pick up where I left off and get Ultimate Facebook fully working.

Thanks ever so much!

N

PS: You'll probably hear more from me in the not-too-distant future on this that or another WPMU plugin . . .

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.