Do I Actually Need MU, or Just BuddyPress?

Thanks for reading this...

Check out the community functions of TotalBeauty.com:
http://community.totalbeauty.com/service/searchEverything.kickAction?as=155778&mediaType=blog&sortType=recent&includeBlog=on&d-7095067-p=1

I just want users to have this kind of ability above, to blog "within" the site, not at their own subdomains. Is this a job for buddypress alone?

Also, I have 3 sites that are several years old, each with decent traffic. Hypothetically, the sites are:
DomainMedSpas.com, DomainSkinCare.com and DomainCosmeticSurgery.com

I don't really want to consolidate these into 1 site with redirects. But, many of the sites' users are going to move back and forth between these 3 domains. (At the very top of each site is a nav bar with all of these domains - see image)

Is there a way to get buddypress to recognize these as one site, if they are all on the same database? So that they would be logged in at all sites? I have read about domain mapping, single sign on, etc. but feel lost in all of it. If it did recognize it as one site, where would the members profile page be at or would there be 3, one for each domain?

Otherwise, is it possible to have one domain with buddypress, the other 2 with only wordpress, and then no need to log in at each one independently?

Lots of questions :wink: Thanks!

• Mason

Hiya keyoung,

All very good questions. To give each person their own blog you really do want to use a WordPress Multisite. You could use our Post Indexer plugin to show a listing of posts on all blogs on a single page of your main site:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/post-indexer

As for the 3 sites and the log in. The best way to accomplish this is to have all 3 sites as part of the same install. Give each user a role on the sites you want them to have access to in the admin.

The BuddyPress pages and profiles will only exist on the domain that BuddyPress is installed. You can have BuddyPress navigation items on other sites (or just use the default BuddyPress bar) and they will link back to the main site.

Hope this helps a bit. Let us know what you decide and if you need any more specifics.

Thanks!

• keyoung

Thanks for your help!

To give each person their own blog you really do want to use a WordPress Multisite.

How do I do this and keep each blog "within" the main site? Meaning this as an example: http://heartifb.com/members/pg/blog/Katy90
    Same as sitewide theme, same top nav, ads in sidebar etc... Is this as simple as making sure that blogs are on the same theme as the main site?

As for the 3 sites and the log in. The best way to accomplish this is to have all 3 sites as part of the same install.

I have the main "hub" domain at MU/Buddypress at psek now. The other domains are at another host, they are wordpress. I am ready to move them over now. How do I install them so that they are all part of the main install?

Give each user a role on the sites you want them to have access to in the admin.

Does this refer to Buddypress users or bloggers, or does this mean both?

-------------------

Say domain #1 has buddypress/mu, domains #2 and #3 are wordpress only...

- Will users be able to login at any of these sites, and comment on any post at any site?

- If I clicked on a members name beside their gravatar on a post comment, to see their 'profile', where would this link to if the comment was for example on domain #3?

- If someone totally new to the network lands from a search engine on #3 and signs up there, will they be a buddypress member of domain #1 too? I guess the log in/sign up could be in the buddypress top bar across all 3 sites...

Thanks again

• Mason

Hiya keyoung,

Same as sitewide theme, same top nav, ads in sidebar etc... Is this as simple as making sure that blogs are on the same theme as the main site?

Check out our New Blog Templates plugin. I think it'll do exactly what you're looking for:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template

How do I install them so that they are all part of the main install?

This will require some work, but the basic flow would be:
    export the old sites via WordPress
    create new sites on new multisite install
    add theme files and activate them on new sites
    import wordpress database
    activate any plugins
    use domain mapping for their locations

Give each user a role on the sites you want them to have access to in the admin. Does this refer to Buddypress users or bloggers, or does this mean both?

By signing up at your main site. They will automatically be given a role on the main site and BuddyPress, you can use a plugin to give them roles on other sites automatically as well:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wpmu-default-user-role/

- Will users be able to login at any of these sites, and comment on any post at any site?

Correct. If you have the multi-site options set so that only logged in users can respond, than any logged in user will be able to respond.

- If I clicked on a members name beside their gravatar on a post comment, to see their 'profile', where would this link to if the comment was for example on domain #3?

It should link to the same BuddyPress profile page regardless of the site.

- If someone totally new to the network lands from a search engine on #3 and signs up there, will they be a buddypress member of domain #1 too? I guess the log in/sign up could be in the buddypress top bar across all 3 sites...

Using the plugin above you can decide exactly which sites a user is signed up for during this process. I think it'll take care of all your needs here. Once everything is on one install, life becomes much easier for these scenarios ;D

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.