Do I have to use the field_ID to display a custompress field?

I've tried editing the ct_custom_fields/option_value in phpMyAdmin, as well as exporting the SQL data.

When I change the ridiculously long number to: business_name in both places of the option_value field, the Custom Field disappears from the CustomPress list of custom fields but when I replace the ridiculously long number, it returns.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help...Diane

• aristath

Hello there @Diane,

The ID is mandatory to avoid conflicts with other plugins and themes that may use the same names for these fields.
    These are built in the CustomPress plugin and can't be overriden unless the plugin is completely rewritten!

They are secure and unique this way... Why do you want to remove them exactly? Perhaps we can find another way to do what you need...

Please advise,
    Ari.

• Diane

I understand that it is mandatory. I don't want to remove them, I want to replace them with identifiable names like business_name, business_address. So that in the future I can easily pull this data into reports, Having a header that is just a series of numbers preceded by the field type text_, is nonsensical.

As I said, I tried to "edit" them in phpMyAdmin and in SQL but when I replaced the number to something more understandable such as business_name, ...the field disappears but when I replace the number it comes back....so I am wondering if there is another place that I need to edit.

Diane

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Diane,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

As my colleague Ari said, these are coded so that they are unique identifiers so that they don't conflict with another plugin or theme.

I'll include one of our developers @Hoang Ngo for his valuable input.

But this isn't something that is designed to be changed without core plugin changes.

Thanks.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Hoang Ngo

Hi there @Diane,

I hope you are well today.

The ID field is for machine, not for human, so it will be some value that we hard to remember, but will need for machine to run properly. Manually change this will cause potential bugs.

One more thing, an ID should not be in a report, it's for machine only, not human and it is sensitive data. How about use the Title and Description instead ?, or if you want to hide that param in admin panel, we can help you with that.

Best Regards,
    Hoang

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.