Do I need a public site to use the membership plugin?

Do I need to have my site public to effectively use the membership plugin? My site is currently private and I manually create new users to access the content (and I'd love to have that process automated.)

But I'm wondering if I can keep it private, or if I need to make it public and simply mark the content to be viewed only by those logged in?

• brookesnow
    • New Recruit

I have a wordpress site that is my main site, but I teach online photography courses and have created a separate wordpress site for each class because of the depth of all the content.

For the past two years I have just made those sites private and once people paid for the course I created a login/password for them to access the site.

Now I'm wanting to automate this process (so I don't have to keep doing data entry for creating login's/passwords). In my research for trying to find a plugin that would allow paid users to set up their own login credentials, it led me to believe that this would be easiest on a membership site--which may have to be partially public for people to be able to set up their login before they are officially able to access the content...

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @brookesnow

I hope you are well today.

You'd have to make the Login/Register pages public so people can login and register on your site, these would be in your visitor access level, but then you can block everything else that you don't want them to be able to visit, you could use positive or negative rules for this, from your description I would personally go with negative rules and block every page apart from the registration and login, this would be the best way I would think.
    This way if a non-member tried to view the content, they would get a protected content page, which can be customized, to read how you want it to.

Thanks for being a WPMU DEV member.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.