Do I need a separate eCommerce theme or a paste in script?

I am new to eCommerce. I already have a static site that give general information about my business. I want to add eCommerce. However, I don't want to manually setup a products page in my current theme. I want to be able to just add products and have them automatically appear in a grid with all the necessary addons. Will a separate eCommerce theme do this for me or a paste in script? Also I want to show off my products in a slider whereas my current site have a slider on my business. Does an eCommerce theme automatically place products in a grid? Please help me know which is the simplest and best method.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings vanavah,

Thank you for the great questions which are certainly appreciated.

I already have a static site that give general information about my business.

Is this static site a WordPress installation?

However, I don't want to manually setup a products page in my current theme.

Then you will need to make a sub site of some flavor to house the eCommerce portion of the site. But it appears you are running a Solo WotrdPress installation and without it being a MultiSite you will then need another installation.

Otherwise you could create a page in your current installation and use short codes to render the store in grid format.

Will a separate eCommerce theme do this for me or a paste in script?

This depends on the product but our Market Press plugin is the basis for the eCommerce store

Also I want to show off my products in a slider whereas my current site have a slider on my business.

Now this is certainly taking the cart before the horse but I do not believe it will be too hard to code into the slider but of course that depends on the slider.

Once you get your store going, as a different ticket subject we can then focus on dealing with the slider.

Does an eCommerce theme automatically place products in a grid?

In your current theme it can using a shortcode. In themes made for MarketPress like Frame Market/Grid Market theme or perhaps the Pro Theme from Nathan

So my recommendation is to get the store going first with products using Market Press as mentioned above using a shortcode with your current theme ~or~ create a MultiSite or whole new WordPress installation with just the store and applicable theme.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT weekend ahead!

Cheers, Joe

• vanavah
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for such a quick reply. I used the word script but shortcodes is that I meant. Please correct me if I am wrong. I find that MarketPress is too simple for selling apparel where you need style, size and color runs. What about showing featured products on the front page, how is this done in MarketPress?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.