Do I need a separate eCommerce theme or a paste in script?

I am new to eCommerce. I already have a static site that give general information about my business. I want to add eCommerce. However, I don't want to manually setup a products page in my current theme. I want to be able to just add products and have them automatically appear in a grid with all the necessary addons. Will a separate eCommerce theme do this for me or a paste in script? Also I want to show off my products in a slider whereas my current site have a slider on my business. Does an eCommerce theme automatically place products in a grid? Please help me know which is the simplest and best method.

• aecnu

Greetings vanavah,

Thank you for the great questions which are certainly appreciated.

I already have a static site that give general information about my business.

Is this static site a WordPress installation?

However, I don't want to manually setup a products page in my current theme.

Then you will need to make a sub site of some flavor to house the eCommerce portion of the site. But it appears you are running a Solo WotrdPress installation and without it being a MultiSite you will then need another installation.

Otherwise you could create a page in your current installation and use short codes to render the store in grid format.

Will a separate eCommerce theme do this for me or a paste in script?

This depends on the product but our Market Press plugin is the basis for the eCommerce store

Also I want to show off my products in a slider whereas my current site have a slider on my business.

Now this is certainly taking the cart before the horse but I do not believe it will be too hard to code into the slider but of course that depends on the slider.

Once you get your store going, as a different ticket subject we can then focus on dealing with the slider.

Does an eCommerce theme automatically place products in a grid?

In your current theme it can using a shortcode. In themes made for MarketPress like Frame Market/Grid Market theme or perhaps the Pro Theme from Nathan

So my recommendation is to get the store going first with products using Market Press as mentioned above using a shortcode with your current theme ~or~ create a MultiSite or whole new WordPress installation with just the store and applicable theme.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT weekend ahead!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.