Do I need SSL and a checkout system to use Protected Content

hmmm. You guys have been very patient with me. It seems I have another issue I have created. You guys have been kind enough to make Protected Content available to me, but I progress through the setup, it seems that I am supposed to already have a shopping cart or some kind of checkout process to use Protected Content. With Pay-Per-View, I understood that PayPalExpress would allow me to have them pay without setting up SSL or an onsite checkout process.

As you guys have educated me, it seems that PC is more suited to my needs, but I am stuck at the point of setting up payment integration.

What do I need to do?

• Jay
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

So, I spoke to PayPal. They said I do not need SSL, as they host the transaction, but, in contrast to PayPalExpress, PPStandard does not redirect them back to my website.
    What is your recommendation for making this a reasonably seamless experience for my customers using Protected Content? That has probably been answered before. If so, please direct me to that thread.
    Thank you.

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Jay, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

That would depend on what your definition of "reasonably seamless" is here.

If you were to use the Stripe gateway on your site, that would allow your users to remain on your site as they're checking out (though this would require you to have an SSL certificate set up on your site).

But, if you were to use the PayPal Express gateway, then as PayPal mentioned, you wouldn't need to set up an SSL certificate on your site in order to accept payments on your site.

Which of these would better suit your needs?

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Jay
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Well, PPExpress would be best, but I don't see that as an option for PRContent.

I see PayPal Standard and PayPal Single Gateway, but I don't see PayPal Express.

If you wish to check, I have granted you access.

Perhaps I just don't understand the definitions.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Jay

I hope you are well today.

I am sorry for the confusion. Currently PP single gateway and PP standard gateway are available, so you are right. PP Express gateway is not available yet. Though using those gateways, you don't need any SSL certificate installed.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.