Do I need the Cpanel login details for the SQL db?

Hi There,

I'm having someone helping me setting up the Multi DB on an existing Multisite installtion. But it seems something is going wrong when creating the multi sql db with username.

I thought instead of using the db_global name, using the existing db name (as global) therefore using its existing name and passwords for all the other ones as well.

But I get a reply from my helping man, saying it needs root login details?

All the info needed should be in the wp-config.php file, right?

A little bit confused right now.
Still have to do this on 2 more existing multisites... not amused atm.

Any advice?

• Michael Bissett

Hey @dutchmen, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

I thought instead of using the db_global name, using the existing db name (as global) therefore using its existing name and passwords for all the other ones as well.

Just as a quick note, I wouldn't leave off the db_global name, as that's a required database, as noted towards the end of the "Create the MySQL Command" section on the usage page.

That aside, for creating the additional databases, you'll either need to have root access to the server (as the database user inside the wp-config.php should only have privileges inside the database assigned to it by default), or you'll need to create the entries via cPanel (as noted in the "First, is your server setup right for this?" section on the usage page).

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Patrick

Hi there @dutchmen

I hope you're well today, and happy new year!

I have successfully installed Multi-DB a few times and created the users in the individual sites' cPanels.

The thing to watch out for is that you have granted ALL privileges to the user you create.

Besides, even if you login to your WHM, you're configuring Multi-DB on a single site via that site's cPanel & phpMyAdmin anyway. :slight_smile:

Oh, and please do not omit any of the steps in the usage instructions, like the global database. Everything detailed there is required (except optional VIP databases, of course).

• Dutchman

i think i should describe my setup,

At myphpadmin the structure is as follows;

+edulink
    ------------edulink_el509 (it's here where the multi-db are created)
    ------------edulink_global

After all db's has been created the next step would be to grand all privileges.

but when i do that i get the access denied error. And it does not matter if i make a new user with all priveleges.

A user name would look like : edulink_user

when i try to use the root user i get an added extra comment and that is (password: yes).

i hope this could clear things up into getting a solution.

Thank you in advance for the quick and excellent support. ps. Happy New Year to you too Patrick

------------------
    I tried it on a local pc enviroment for testing with xampp and this went without any troubles, what am i doing wrong?

• Ash

Hello @dutchmen

I hope you are well today.

After all db's has been created the next step would be to grand all privileges.

but when i do that i get the access denied error. And it does not matter if i make a new user with all priveleges.

Creating an user with all privilege is not same as granting permission for a database. When you create a new user with all privilege, does it mean that it can access the existing DBs too?

And as you said you saw a denied access message, would you please ask your reseller host to check about the issue? You should be able to grant permission.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.