Do I need to change hosting

Hi. New here, and new to wordpress.
My idea is to provide multisites in an area where a subdomain network would provide users with individual sites but as a part of a group. My host provider (which I'm very happy with) doesn't do the subdomains * thing, but does subdirectories. Is there a way to map sub domains to sub directories? Or do I need a new provider? If so, do you have recommendations? Or can you point me to a general setup area? Can't wait to get started here, it looks fab :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings flowta,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Thank you for the great question and do not believe the untruth about unlimited storage that others are telling about - it is simply not true but I guess it is typical that if an untruth is told often enough people actually start to believe it.

By the way it is another Member whom busted HG on this lie and has provided the graphics and the truthful insight into the so called "deal" when they confronted HG with it and HG actually "punished" Mark by cutting back on his services, that Member is Mark WPMU DEV screen name And.Hello - I will tag him @And.Hello so if he chooses he can come in here and tell the truth on how low they can/will go especially when confronted with the truth.

To answer your questions directly:

My host provider (which I'm very happy with) doesn't do the subdomains * thing, but does subdirectories. Is there a way to map sub domains to sub directories?

Absolutely if the domain name registrar allows buy adding the sub domain at the registry and pointing it to the sub directory usually using a CName DNS entry.

Or do I need a new provider?

No you do not if following the guidelines of the question immediately above.

Or can you point me to a general setup area?

Head on over to your domain name registry and see if they offer DNS on there side and/or the ability to create the sub domain name and/or the CName DNS entry to point to the sub directory path.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT upcoming weekend in any event

Cheers, Joe

• JosephLee1179

I use GoDaddy. It's 100 a year for unlimited disk space and latency. This is ONLY website space though. You can't upload to the cloud etc... That is what they say. I haven't reached a cap yet. I have a wordpress site one my sever that has 500 gigs of .pdf's lol. I also host a multi site

I admit, godaddy servers have no down time but their back office certainly does. THeir FTP area is down quite a bit lately. Three times this week I was trying to remove files and it was freezing up. Their customer service is... untouchable IMHO. If you are a noobie to hosting, I suggest them. They will put a guy on the phone and get you through it. I called clueless. The guy on the phone read the wpmu manual about wild card DNS and did it for me on his end.

• aecnu

Greetings Scott,

Thank you for your honest input which is certainly appreciated and some great points.

Regrading customer service that can be a nightmare too when one does not know what they are doing or in this case not familiar with the needs of WordPress and especially MultiSites which can be especially challenging.

For example the same Mark I mentioned above, And.Hello screen name, showed me a transcript form the great Host Gator (sarcasm) that the techs could not figure out why his wildcard DNS would not work correctly. They spent days on it, he would call back, get a different technician, and still no resolve. Maybe it was bad luck with the technicians I do not know.

He hosted on one of my servers and not only did other issues magically disappear but when he told me he was having this same issue within a few minutes of receiving his message it was resolved :slight_smile:

Last but not least speaking of reviews, here is one from another Mark :slight_smile: in this case Mark De Scande: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/what-would-be-the-best-hosting-for-a-network#post-288348

Eat your hearts out HG and BH!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.