Do I want a multisite?

Hello,

I have added my site onesite.com. I also own 2 other domains (sitetwo.com; and Onesiteblog.com) that are meant to be connected to my main site, as one is a sub-brand and the other is my brands blogsite. I want them to be separate where they have their own logos at the top of the site etc but using the same system. For example Nike.com has Hurley.com and Converse.com connected. But separate. I want customers to be able to sign up for one site and be members for the others as well. I want them to shop at onesie.com and add items from sitetwo.com to the same cart. Is this possible? What is the best way to do this?

Thanks

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Chelson,

First, welcome to the WPMU DEV community! :slight_smile:

What you are wanting to do is absolutely possible.

Multisite allows you to share resources such as themes, plugins and even user tables across sites. However, the customizations you apply to each subsite are unique to that site and completely separate. You can learn about activating multisite at the following URL: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/

Our Domain Mapping plugin allows you to assign unique domain names to each sub-site so that each site has it’s own unique URL. You can learn more about the Domain Mapping plugin at the following URL: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#product-usage We also have an excellent guide on setting up Domain Mapping at the following URL: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/domain-mapping-wordpress/

If you want to sell products across your network of sites, MarketPress is the perfect e-commerce solution. There is a global cart option that allows you to have a global shopping cart as well as global products. You can learn more about MarketPress at the following URL: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce/#product-usage

Let us know if you have any further questions. We’ll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Chelson
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks James!

I just completed step one and moving on to step two, I will definitely ask questions as they arise. Your comment helps a lot and makes everything understandable. will the domain mapping help with separating on3clothing.com from site 2 and 3 so that they seem independent from the main site?

Thanks,

Chelson

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Chelson,

will the domain mapping help with separating on3clothing.com from site 2 and 3 so that they seem independent from the main site?

If you are using Domain Mapping, from the frontend of the site, site 2 and 3 will seem like completely different websites from your primary domain. If you use a different email account to “register” those subsites than what the network admin has, it will even hide other subsites from those users in the backend.

I hope this clarifies a bit. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Chelson
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi James,

I own on3clothing.com (Mainsite) , FAWMwear.com (site 2), On3Nation.com (site 3) domains, but when I try to add a domain in the add new sites section it always just has a fill box.on3clothing.com. How do I add the official domains to my network? is this possible or will I have to add it as it is presented to in the option?

Thanks,

Chelson

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Chelson,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you on this.

Sometimes you can see this error if you try to add the domain right after changing the DNS settings. It can take up to 72hrs for DNS changes to fully propagate. The simplest solution is to change the following settings to “No”:

Verify domain’s DNS settings

Check domain propagation before mapping

After 72hrs, if the domain is still not properly mapping to the subsite, then there is an issue with the DNS settings that need to be checked.

Please let us know if this resolves your issue.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Chelson
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi James,

Its still not working. I have my domains parked, and I'm uploading a screen shot of my DNS A record settings for one of the domains I'm trying to map. maybe it will help to see what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Chelson

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Chelson

When you added as a parked domain, is it possible to point to the domain instead of pointing to IP? Pointing to IP needs two factor to be true:

1. The IP must be a dedicated IP

2. The IP should point to the main domain, like if you enter http://66.96.147.102/ in the browser, it should show the main site. In your case, the above IP shows forbidden access

Also, as you said, the domain is added now, still sometimes the system can show the health status invalid if there is any extra security layer that restrict the DNS verification. Basically, the plugin tries to ping the domain programmatically and for some reason if it fails, the health status shows invalid.

That being said, having invalid status, does the domain work for you? If it works, then you are good to go forward :slight_smile:

Have a good day!

Cheers

Ash

• Chelson
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Ash,

Thank you! So when pointing the new domain, do I point it to the subdomain or the main domain? I was playing with pointing and pointed one of the subdomains to the same subdirectory as the main domain. It seems to work, is this an okay practice?

Thanks,

Chelson

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.