Do not upgrade chat through WP auto update.

Just to give a heads up to others out there and it's probably wise to mention this somewhere in the chat description area as well or where ever appropriate.

I just installed the Chat (not lite version) from this site. As soon as I uploaded it to my server and installed it, WP had notified me that there was an update for it but WPMU auto notifier didn't mention anything about this. So I went ahead and did the auto update through WP and everything went smoothly until I saw that the update only applies to the lite version and not the full version (is this right?! O_o?)). Either way, dunno if this is a bug, but since the versioning system between the lite and pro are the same, this could confuse others in updating. WP auto updater should be able to detect the version type (pro and lite) and ignore the update for pro users unless there is one. Can someone look into this and tell me I'm not going crazy here>

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Anthony,

The good news is that you're definitely not going crazy! Another member mentioned the same thing and I can verify the same on a test site. I've notified the developers on the matter.

Thanks for your patience, we'll get that sorted!

-David

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

We always recommend not updating automatically anyway as things can go wrong and bring your whole site down - not good if your customers / income is reliant on it.

But we're working on it - as we've only recently started releasing free versions of our plugins we are finding these issues ourselves as we go along.

• BlueEyes
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hello Barry

We always recommend not updating automatically anyway as things can go wrong and bring your whole site down

??
    So, don't offer the automatic upgrade if we can't use it safely
    And it is not very usefull if we have to upgrade each product manually, because you make too much upgrades on a year, it's a lot of works!
    If now you say that automatic upgrade is possible but not usefull because dangerous, don't sell it.
    Choose a good system and safe, don't tell you sell it but you don't care
    I understand that sometimes we have to be patient, but don't tell to your customers that we are stupid to use your automatic system and buy it
    because it's exactly what you just mean...

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

So, don't offer the automatic upgrade if we can't use it safely

This issue is with the auto-upgrade from wp.org - which is why the plugins where downgraded to the free versions isn't it?

With production sites, ideally you should be upgrading a development version before your live site to make sure things go smoothly. It is recommended practice within the industry - I know a lot of us can't have duplicate copies of our sites just sitting around, but it is worth baring in mind that things can and do go wrong with upgrades to it's always best to test your upgrade then backup your live site and redo the upgrade there.

I don't like automatic upgrades because, personally, I don't trust them :slight_smile: Much prefer to download the update to my computer and then upload it to the server so i can see what's happening and know if there is an issue with files being uploaded. Which is why I'll generally ask a person to download the plugin and FTP it to the server if they are having an issue, just so i know that all the files actually made it to the correct places with the correct permissions.

• BlueEyes
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

This issue is with the auto-upgrade from wp.org - which is why the plugins where downgraded to the free versions isn't it?

Not at all, it about a warning of upgrading, and we are not concerned by this

With production sites, ideally you should be upgrading a development version before your live site to make sure things go smoothly.

About something new, of course. But not with something already setup. If I use your plugins, it's exactly because I don't want have to check each time for each plugin, before upgrade them. Before installing, I can test it on local wordpress, but after installing, upgrades should not need double ckeck like this for each plugin..; many times a month.

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

Issue is because both the free version and the premium version shared the directory name. Now we have changed the directory name of the premium version to wordpress-chat. Please remove any old versions of the chat plugin and install 1.0.6 which was just released.

Anyway, big apology for the inconvenience caused because of this.

• Anthony
    • The Incredible Code Injector

wouldn't have been easier to rename the lite version wordpress-chatlite? Just wondering because when I did the auto update again through wpmu auto update feature, everything went smoothly and I'm not getting the old problem with the files being overwritten by the lite version, but wordpress plugin directory is saying that it still needs to be updated. I'm assuming because you gave "Wordpress-chat" the parent directory instead of the premium plugin. Just wondering why that way and still leave a open ended problem?

• Anthony
    • The Incredible Code Injector

my directory is named wordpress-chat for the premium, so I don't understand why it's still asking me to update even after I've updated the premium version through your installer. Should I try to update from the wp plugin page? or would that just make the issue of the past come back.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Anthony,

Sorry for the lack of a follow-up here.

I don't understand why it's still asking me to update

That was a bug with differentiating between free and premium plugins in the Update Notifications plugin which has since been fixed. Ensure you're on the latest version of UN and you should be fine.

Cheers,
    Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.