Do you have any advice on how to vet plugins when users

Do you have any advice on how to vet plugins when users request them? So far I follow the process below, but if you have any advice, I’d appreciate it:

*Determine if we need the plugin or if it can be coded in directly.
*If we need it then check the meta data WP page on the plugin and verify that it is compatible with my version of WP, check the support tab for known issues and plugin conflicts, check that the plugin is updated often/recently, and check the ratings (but don’t rely too heavily on those).
* Poll the experts at WPMUdev
*Poll the masses on twitter

• Vaughan

Hi @joy,

Hope you're well?

You've pretty much covered the basics of it. The main thing is compatibility (Though that's not always guaranteed to be compatible with other plugins you have or the theme itself, that's hit & miss, you don't know till you try it)

Making sure it's supported well & is regularly updated.

There isn't really much else, unless you want to delve into the plugin code to audit the code too (not a quick task & only an expert coder would spot any issues there)

Another thing you might want to do is clone your website onto a dev server, so that you have an exact replica of the live site. This way, you can add any new plugins or changes to the development site to see how it works, and if it's likely to cause any issues, rather than just installing it directly on the live site to find out it takes the whole site down.

Hope this helps

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.