Do you know any good automatic backup plugin?

Hi, I have been using BackWPup (which is a wordpress plugin) for some time thinking that it actually worked. I noticed however that when I had to restore my site from a backup that the database was all wrong. It had 525 queries while my manual one only had 92 which resulted in blogs missing and stuff if using the BackWPup database backup. Also seems it is unable to copy directories without files in them.

So do you know any good automatic backup plugins that does work and that you could recommend? :slight_smile:

Thanks

/Robert

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I run my own custom scripts and use amazon s3 storage but this is a great read

written by wpmu.org on how to automatically backup your wordpress site and dropbox offers 2 gig free storage: Oh, it doesn’t work on multisite but there aren’t many backup plugins that do network :wink:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-automatically-backup-your-wordpress-site-to-dropbox/

Check the comments for point of views as well,

Cheers,

Jonathan

• Dukeswe
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Unfortunately those two suggestions doesn’t seem to be what I am looking for :disappointed:

I essentially want a way to “clone” the public_html directory and the database automatically on a daily basis but it is harder to find than I thought :o

But thanks for your suggestions anyway :slight_smile:

/Robert

• Dukeswe

I mean “clone” as in I want to be able to remove everything on my site using FTP and remove the entire database and then upload the backed up site using ftp and the database using phpmyadmin.

Just like if I were to manually backup the entire public_html folder using Filezilla (ftp transfer program) and just copying it to my computer and then going into phpmyadmin and selecting export and then saving the database to my computer.

Like on BackWPup it copied everything to a folder in the same server but above the public_html.

Simply just copy exacly what is there at the time to somewhere else :slight_smile:

The problem is that no of the plugins I’ve used so far fully manages to do this. I’ve had most problems with them being unable to copy the database properly.

/Robert

• Dukeswe

I did a test with BackWPup to see what it failed to backup on the ftp and I came to the conclusion that it manages to backup all files but not the empty folders. It copies 652 folders while the manual backup did 680.

Does it make any difference if I don’t have these 30 empty folders? Will they be auto created if anything needs to go in them? If so I will be able to continue using BackWPup for my ftp backuping and will just have to find another solution for the database backup.

Thanks

/Robert

• Dukeswe

Not sure how people would be able to go into an empty folder. Nothing to see there if it is empty anyway x). And I don’t know which folders (except 1-2) that are actually missing. It could be anywhere on the site and it wouldn’t solve the problem trying to add an empty file into all of them I’m afraid. It would just be a tedious work and if any new plugin or so is added you would have to check for empty folders all the time.

But is it a big deal if the folders doesn’t exist in the first place? Like can’t they be automatically created if they need to be?

• HamRadioDude
    • HummingBird

While that being true once there is a file if someone goes directly to it with out a .htaccess and the command to not allow anyone in it or a blank index file they see the files, I was just mentioning it.

what you are describing is what I already do with the one I originally suggested.

you might want to also check cpanel.com forums there is a lot of backup topics there also.

• Dukeswe

Hi and thanks for all your replies. That s3 process looks quite complicated. Not sure I would be able to set that up properly :disappointed:

I did make a support post about the missing folders on the backWPup. Hopefully that can be fixed. Then I would just need to find a decent database backup because for some reason not a single one I’ve tried has worked :disappointed: Maybe it has to do with my server provider. I’m gonna give them a call later and ask.

Thanks

/Robert

• drunkenmugsy
    • Flash Drive

I have not tested it extensively but x-cloner seems to be fairly good. There are some setup details that may be a pain to non cli users. Also not sure if it supports WPMU but it does support cron, S3, email, ftp backups so once you set it up it is automated.

I plan on using this to clone sites from development to production.

• Dukeswe

I have actually started using Xcloner not too long ago. It also has the missing folders problem but I belive that is because of the limitations from my server provider -_-

The database seems to work aswell and using an external cron service I can get it to run the job once a day :slight_smile:

So from all the plugins I have tested Xcloner is the one that has performed best.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.