Do you know if the plugin can work on mediatemple grid service?

I have made a Support Request in mediatemple and they can't help. I asked if they can sell to me an dedicated IP and answer this:

Due to the distributed nature of our Grid service hosting platform, you would not be able to receive a dedicated IP. Each Grid service comes with its own access domain that allows you to access your sites without having a domain name pointed to your Grid service. Access domains are especially helpful when you're developing a new site or testing an existing site before re-pointing your DNS. Despite not having a dedicated IP address, your Grid service is still capable of hosting sites that use SSL.

For more information on using SSL certificates with the (gs) Grid-Service, please see the following FAQ page:
http://mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/faq.php#67

For more information on our access domains, please visit this KnowledgeBase article:
http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/130/

Thanks

• Vaughan

hiya

thanks for the post.

whilst it's not a 100% necessary requirement to have a dedicated address, it helps. otherwise if IP's change, every user with a mapped domain would need to keep changing their DNS CNAME's & so on, which is a pain in the ....

however, on saying that, i haven't used grid-service or anything so I have no idea whether the plugin will work there or not, i'm not even sure how grid-service operates either so i can't help you with that.

let me ping @Barry to see if he has any experience of it.

hope this helps

thanks.

• atouchofsummer

Media Temple's Grid Service is much like shared hosting, except that all the big services, especially the MySQL databases, are set up to be burstable, expanding when need be to handle large spikes in traffic and then contracting about 24hrs after load normalizes.

Other than that, it would be like shared hosting, where your account would get one IP, and any other domains there would use that.

You may eventually see other performance related issues though... sometimes initial connections take longer than they should, and we were never able to figure out why. I definitely preferred their dedicated virtual service over their grid service, while I was using Media Temple.

• Vaughan

hiya

@ggsalas that's not quite what I said, you can use the plugin without a dedicated IP address, but if the IP get's changed then all mapped domains will need to be adjusted which would mean users would have to keep changing it in their DNS settings which would quickly become a pain for everyone concerned. you would still need to enter an IP address in the plugin.

I do not know if it will work on grid service, we will need to wait for @Barry for more info on that.

hope this helps.

• Barry

No, domain mapping doesn't technically need a fixed IP. The setting in the domain mapping admin area for an IP address simply populates the instructions on the users domain mapping interface to tell them what to point their domain DNS settings at.

As @Vaughan mentions above, the issue you will have is setting the instructions to your users to tell them how to set up their domains (if you are allowing your users to do this, that is - if you are only mapping domains for your own purposes then it doesn't matter as much) - I assume there is a fixed address that you are instructed to point your domains at by media temple? If there isn't, and the IP / location is likely to change then I don't see how it would work (but then I don't see how they can not provide a fixed "address" of sorts unless they are insisting all domains use their (media temples) DNS servers and it handles it via that.

• atouchofsummer

Media Temple's Grid Service doesn't change IP addresses or do anything dynamic with the actual domains & IPs, it's just like the shared hosting services provided by Hostgator or any of a number of other hosting companies, only they try to handle unexpected spikes in resource usage differently than most.

All their Grid Service does is give them more control over shifting resources to where they might be needed, to prevent a single site from using up too many resources and bringing everyone on that grid to a screeching halt.

So if domain mapping works in a shared hosting environment, then it should work on theirs as well.

full disclosure: I am not currently a Media Temple customer, but I have been twice in the past, and one of my clients currently is one. I've used their Dedicated Virtual hosting (Plesk vm), and their Grid Service for my own needs. The biggest reason I'm not there anymore is cost effectiveness... many of the client sites I host are small sites, and I became very unhappy with how slow site response had become.

After about 6 months of fruitless clue chasing, I created a Hostgator account and moved one of those small sites over there, and the initial site response increased by about 200% and overall site response improved dramatically as well... I was rather stunned. All I could guess was that maybe Media Temple was also doing some sort of DNS caching on their end, saving resources by somehow dropping low traffic sites' priorities and increasing them for higher traffic sites. It didn't seem to be related to how they handled mysql usage, but I could have been wrong there. The one thing I know for sure is that such lag times in response never happened on their DV hosting, ever.

But they could never answer my questions about why things were so slow (my guess is maybe it wasn't slow for them internally, so they never saw the performance issues I'd been seeing), so I left, moved about 30-35 total sites off their systems.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.