Document Manager Plugin

I noticed there is currently no plugin available to help manage documents on for user-download. A plugin that helps visitors to my website sort through PDF's to find the one they need (via categories, title, author, etc.) would be very helpful. Is there currently a WPMU solution to help achieve this functionality?

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

I am not aware of a plugin, WPMU or not, that is built to handle this specific functionality. However, there are a number of ways you could accomplish this.

I would do it by creating a custom post type, creating a page for each of your PDFs with appropriate information, tags, categories, etc, and then setting up a search field that searches that custom post type.

If you've never used custom post types, the Custom Post Type UI plugin will help you easily set one up.

Unfortunately I am unable to find any plugins that allow you to create a simple search field for just a custom post type. However, the following code inserted into your theme should create a search form that searches just the custom post type. Just be sure to replace "POST TYPE NAME" with the name of your custom post type.

<form role="search" method="get" id="searchform" action="<?php echo home_url( '/' ); ?>">
    <div><label class="screen-reader-text" for="s">Search for:</label>
    <input type="text" value="" name="s" id="s" />
    <input type="submit" id="searchsubmit" value="Search" />
    <input type="hidden" name="post_type" value="POST TYPE NAME" />
    </div>
    </form>

If you want to get fancy, take a look at this tutorial on WordPress Custom Post Type Search.

I hope that helps. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.