Documents for users to view or download

Hi Everyone
i have a customer that writes scientific papers with text mostly, for learning, we want the users of there site to either download or view them , we can have public access or private (need to be logged in) i thought the best way was to have the title of the doc then a link to where they can download it, i can put it on amazon s3 or drive etc, so each one is separate or i can bundle them, just wondering what others think and what would you do ,looking for feedback and ideas thanks in advance

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello David,

I hope you're well today! Thank you for your question.

As for those papers you're asking about there are a few ways to put them on the site. Of course it would be good to upload them on S3, Google Drive or similar service but the key is how will you share them with the users.

One of the ways would be to simply link to them from post or page (just like any normal link to the page) but that doesn't give you any statistics, allows users to share the direct link to the file on the web (efficiently lowering the traffic on the website) and also puts you out of control of how the files are handled on the users's site.

Better way would be to use a plugin like "Download Monitor" which is designed especially for managing downloadable files.

The best solution however would be IMHO to setup a Marketpress store (you don't have to charge for files) which handles downloadable goods perfectly and lets you treat files as products, giving them all the "bells and whistles" of a professional store: featured images, descriptions, price (or not), statistics, user's area for tracking purchases etc.

If you want to charge users in a subscription model for downloading/viewing those file you may also want to take a look at our Protected Content plugin and give it a try.

Hope that helped! Let me know if you have any further questions, I'll be glad to assist!

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.