Does an up-to-date, complete tutorial exist (anywhere)?

I can't possibly be the only user struggling with this...

I can not find instructions, tutorial, forum thread. blog post --- anywhere --- that describes the step-by-step instructions on setting up Multisite > Domain Mapping with WP 3.3.x ...

I keep finding references to things that do not exist anymore, and/or may not be visible on my site...along with some comments that it doesn't work on WP 3.3

... and would PAY (more than already paying WPMUDEV) to see cPanel DNS Zone screenshots of how to setup for addon domains to resolve correctly.

I would certainly appreciate instructions that match to the current version of WP...

any reference to a CURRENT resource would be very much appreciated -- especially something with screenshots

• tripvendor

I keep seeing this reference in tutorials --- under
    Network Admin > Settings > Domain Mapping

I don't have these options there --- only thing I have is where to show server IP and the very confusing bit about Administration mapping

The settings below allow you to control how the domain mapping plugin operates with the administration area.

The domain used for the administration area should be the

The following: are not shown, should they be?

Remote Login – Means that logging in to one site will log you in to all sites.
    Permanent Redirect – This will create a 301 redirect on your subdomain (as opposed to a temporary 302 redirect) – highly recommended if the domain mapping will be permanent.
    User Domain Mapping Page – Creates a new menu in each site which allows that site’s users to map their own domains (instead of being controlled by the network’s Super Admin only).
    Redirect administration pages – Means that all administration pages will be kept on the original site’s domain, instead of on the mapped domains.
    Disable primary domain check – Means that multiple domains pointing to a single site will be treated as separate sites, instead of redirecting all domains to the noted primary domain (not recommended).

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again. :slight_smile:

Just to echo what said in your previous thread:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/domain-mapping-instructions-need-minor-edit

The new version of the plugin has only just moved location and can still work in the /mu-plugins/ as per those instructions.

The new method is to now upload those files as a normal plugin. You still move the sunrise.php file to the wp-content folder. And you still set the wp-config.php as per the instructions.

Your feedback is duly noted, in fact over the coming months we plan on getting those instructions updated as well as implementing the new pointer feature from WP within the plugins. :slight_smile:

The master options for the network are now:

wp-admin/network/settings.php?page=domainmapping_options

Admin ->> Network Admin ->> Settings ->> Domain Mapping

The options for how the admin is use, is as follows:

Original Domain - This is that of the network ie subsite.domain.com
    Mapped Domain - This will use the custom mapped domain as provided by the user
    Domain Entered By The User - This will allow the user to enter the admin either with their mapped domain or the original network domain.

For a user on your network to then map their own domain they go to:

/wp-admin/tools.php?page=domainmapping

Admin ->> Settings ->> Domain Mapping

And enter their own domain in there.

I hope this clarifies everything for you. :slight_smile:

If you need anything else then please let us know.

So the plugin is uploaded to your:

/wp-content/plugins/

You then move the sunrise.php file to:

/wp-content/

Add this to to your wp-config.php:

define( 'SUNRISE', 'on' );

Then go a network activate it.

The master options for the network are now:

wp-admin/network/settings.php?page=domainmapping_options

Admin ->> Network Admin ->> Settings ->> Domain Mapping

For a user on your network to then map their own domain they go to:

/wp-admin/tools.php?page=domainmapping

Admin ->> Settings ->> Domain Mapping

And enter their own domain in there.

Ensure your addon domain points to the /public_html/ where your WordPress install is located.

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/CpanelDocs/AddonDomains#Create%20an%20addon%20domain

You can also Park a domain:

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/CpanelDocs/ParkedDomains

Again just make sure it goes to your /public_html/ where your WordPress install is.

Generally I would only use those two options if the domain was my own, i.e. I own it.

If it were a clients domain I would have them edit their DNS to point their A Record to my dedicated IP which should sit on your /public_html/ where your WordPress install is located.

Editing a DNS for A record depends on where the domain is purchased from. If they have their own cPanel they can use the Advanced DNS option:

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/CpanelDocs/AdvancedDnsEditor

Otherwise if they are unsure they should ask whom ever controls their DNS for them.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions then please feel free to ask. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers

The following: are not shown, should they be?
    Remote Login – Means that logging in to one site will log you in to all sites.
    Permanent Redirect – This will create a 301 redirect on your subdomain (as opposed to a temporary 302 redirect) – highly recommended if the domain mapping will be permanent.
    User Domain Mapping Page – Creates a new menu in each site which allows that site’s users to map their own domains (instead of being controlled by the network’s Super Admin only).
    Redirect administration pages – Means that all administration pages will be kept on the original site’s domain, instead of on the mapped domains.
    Disable primary domain check – Means that multiple domains pointing to a single site will be treated as separate sites, instead of redirecting all domains to the noted primary domain (not recommended).

Is that from Donnchas plugin?

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

• tripvendor

Hi thanks for following up -

yes running 3.0.7 ... downloaded from WPMUDEV a couple days ago

I found that list of options in several posts/blogs -- I wasn't sure if all the "Domain Mapping" plugins were the same or not... mostly because what I'm seeing on my dashboard is never what is shown in screenshots or instruction narratives... So, the WPMUDEV Domain Mapping does not have those options? (I'm just trying to sort out what I should be seeing)

I managed to get one of my domains to work by parking it... however I still don't understand how to setup DNS settings in WHM DNS Zone or cPanel...

And I keep seeing reference to Network Admin > Settings > Domains... I don't see "Domains" listed - should it be?

thanks...

• Timothy Bowers

I found that list of options in several posts/blogs -- I wasn't sure if all the "Domain Mapping" plugins were the same or not... mostly because what I'm seeing on my dashboard is never what is shown in screenshots or instruction narratives... So, the WPMUDEV Domain Mapping does not have those options? (I'm just trying to sort out what I should be seeing)

Nope, we don't have all those. I presume the screenshots of those were checkboxes?

And I keep seeing reference to Network Admin > Settings > Domains... I don't see "Domains" listed - should it be?

There isn't a list of domains there, if thats what you are expecting?

Its just a settings page so you can pop your dedicated IP and then that displays to users. You can also select one of the three options there which I mentioned on my previous post.

Original Domain - This is that of the network ie subsite.domain.com
    Mapped Domain - This will use the custom mapped domain as provided by the user
    Domain Entered By The User - This will allow the user to enter the admin either with their mapped domain or the original network domain.

If you want to see what sites have a mapped domain, you can go to your:

Admin --> Network Admin --> All Sites

You will see a column with "Custom Domain", if there is anything in there, then it has a domain defined with the users admin panel.

I managed to get one of my domains to work by parking it... however I still don't understand how to setup DNS settings in WHM DNS Zone or cPanel...

Is there something in specific which confuses you?

Do you have full WHM or is it just cPanel.

For cPanel settings, those links I gave in my other post above are for their docs. It details about the features.

If there is something in specific you don't understand then please feel free to ask :slight_smile:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.