Does BP lose it's blog features if not ing MS mode?

Here’s another noob question.

Does BuddyPress lose it’s blog capabilities if not in multi-site set up?

I decided to use it in single site mode because MS takes over the whole domain and I can no longer use any sub domains separated for design projects. Also, I can customize the single BP installs a little more then the MS BP installs.

I noticed the “Blog” link is no longer available. Is there a plug in for blogs in single site mode?

Can I set up a page and call it Blog and redirect the posts to that page?

I saw group blog plug in, and that would work if I could feed it into the site wide activity stream.

Thanks for all

Richard

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Richard,

I hope you are well today.

That would be correct, BuddyPress would lose it’s blog functionality for your users to set up a blog if multisite is removed, however you can still have a blog and edit the access levels for your users to be able to post on that blog or will that not work for you?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• Richard
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Yes that wold work and I’m sure I am making it more complicated then it needs to be.

In other words, I have a feeling it is one of those “If it were a snake” moments. Yet I’m looking too hard for the snake. lol

I though about adding a “Blog group and making it public so it adds it posts to the stream.

What is the best way to set it up?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Richard,

Would maybe using the status plugin work better for you? Then you could setup that to sort of act as the blog in a way and pull in the latest comments/status?

Or you could use a front-end posting form? Or would you mind giving them access to the admin? Sorry for all the questions just want to sort out the best solution for you :slight_smile:

Kind Regards

Jack.

• Richard

I’m working with the Advanced Acess Manager noe.

I can givethem acces to just the post feature of the admin bannel.

Although I like the idea of the status and front end access only.

I think I will test that first.

Thanks for all.

Grateful for WPMU Dev.

Richard

• Richard

Hey Jack Kitterhing

Working with a single install of BuddyPress.

I’ve been fighting g this email thing for a week now.

First the html email was activated with no content.

Took me a while to figure out that the system won’t send in that case.

So I loaded config smtp and subscribe2 and the mail started working.

Unfortunately it is only the system mail that is working.

The notifications are not.

Any Ideas why the system notifications are not working?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Richard,

Emails, so just to clarify some things, your wp mail function wasn’t/still isn’t working? Are we talking about mail plugin? Or just the standard function?

System mail such as lost passwords are working, but notifications such as new user registration etc aren’t working?

Sorry just need to confirm them few things, so I don’t mis-advise you :slight_smile:

Kind Regards

Jack.

• Richard

I really have two conversations here, sorry.

Blog issue: I resolved this by creating three pages for the topics I will be covering. Then I also created three categories with the same name. I used http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/posts-for-page/ to paste the short code and category slug into the html editor of the page that matches the need. This allows my members when they post o select the category and post to the relevant page that they are blogging for.

Email Issue: I narrowed down my fight with the email send issue to the HTML Email Templates plug in. When downloading it through the WPMU Dev dashboard it was automatically activated. Somehow I ended up testing my “Add user” features before I added the html to my template. This showed me the emails weren’t sending. I tested the “Forgot Password” which gave me a mail() error. So after turning off plugins and testing I found the HTML Email Templates has to have code in it or it will interrupt the sending because the system will not send blank emails. I added a header logo and the system emails started sending beautifully. Further testing showed that my BuddyPress notifications were not sending.. I could not invite friends to become friend and then join groups. Neither could I send the internal private messages. Again I turned off the HTML Email Templates plug in and the BuddyPress notifications began sending. Not so beautiful without my logo/header, but sending no the less. I tried several variations of html to get the header to pull in but none would work. It appears that somehow the html in the plug in is conflicting with BuddyPress’s capabilities to send its notifications. I don’t know if it is BuddyPress or the HTML Email Templates plugin, but there is definitely a conflict.

Hope this saves someone some time. Also would be great if someone smarter than me could find out what the conflict is. I really like the looks of my emails when they are branded with my logo.

Ps. Maybe at a minimum someone could put a nag/reminder at the top saying the HTML Email Template plugin requires code after activation and/or not compatible with BuddyPress.

Pss. If this is unique to my install, please let me know how to correct it.

All the best

Richard

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Richard,

Sorry for the delay, thank you for all the additional information, I don’t believe that is unique to your installation though I also haven’t seen it brought up before, I will test today and see what happens with the outcome.

Kind Regards

Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.