Does Buddypress add value to your network?

I like the idea of buddypress a lot, but I haven't seen a lot of user/site admin involvement.

As one who would rather keep my sites running lean, than loading up with unnecessary features, I have to ask: Is anyone seeing any benefit from BuddyPress on your sites or is it just a resource suck?

Specifically, do you see:

Increased engagement from site admins?
SEO benefit?
Users "friending" each other?
A benefit to seeing activity streams?

Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Specifically, do you see:
    Increased engagement from site admins?

You mean site owners from sub sites?

If so then for me not so much.

SEO benefit?

Sure, I get plenty of users creating content for me which is indexed well. Not only that, see site updates in there improves sitewide activity.

Users "friending" each other?

I see plenty of that, yup.

A benefit to seeing activity streams?

As I mentioned, the fact that updates are seen there which promotes cross site activity. But you could achieve that in other ways.

As one who would rather keep my sites running lean, than loading up with unnecessary features, I have to ask: Is anyone seeing any benefit from BuddyPress on your sites or is it just a resource suck?

I suppose the real question here is do you need some kind of social networking and if so is it worth the extra suck on your resources?

Or do you think social networking should be left with Facebook and Twitter or some of the other heavyweights?

Lets be honest, BuddyPress won't make anyone the next Facebook, Twitter or Linkedin. Because those services are custom and established. If people want that they go there. If you are offering a niché though then sure it could work real well for you.

So the question again is, do you think it would be worth it.

Sorry to turn that around, to answer the question if it were me though...... On one of my own sites yeah it was but on the many others, nahhh it just doesn't fit right.

I hope this helps.