Does Cloner work on non-multisite sites?

Hello,

If I create a site in one Web hosting space, can I use Cloner to save/export the theme (and all its plug-ins) and copy it to another Web hosting space ... but not under the Multisite structure and just one single installation to another?

Many thanks,
Mike

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Michael ,

I hope you're well today!

Unfortunately, Cloner isn't a tool for this. It's intended to work only with Multisite setup and by design it's made to allow you to copy/move site inside your Multisite network or push the site from your multisite test environment to "live" setup.

There's however a feature request to make Cloner suitable also for single setups. Feel free to support it then

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/any-plans-to-make-cloner-support-single-site-installations

For single installations you may want to use our Snapshot plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

You can use it to create a full backup copy of your site, including database and files and then just download the archive, unpack it and push to another server. You'll still need to adjust some WP settings though, so please take a look at this article:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-safely-move-wordpress/

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Michael

Hello Adam,

Thank you very much for this. Sounds like Snapshot is what I need.

Ultimately what I am trying to do is customise a theme and get one site working as I would like, but then be able to somehow duplicate it across 40 domain names and then go into each site and update things which no one could clone ... like site name and certain text elements and images. It's mainly so I don't need to make the same bunch of changes to 40 sites, but rather make minor changes once I have rolled out the duplicate.

Alternatively can I just download all the files of a site into Dreamweaver ... copy the files into a different folder (used for a different site) and then upload? Will that so the same thing .. or does a proper installation process need to occur (via WordPress install & activate)?

Many thanks,
    Mike

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Michael!

Actually you don't have to install WordPress "manually" each time if you have a way to "push" it to the server with all the files, plugins AND database. So you can create a "package" containing all the necessary themes and plugins, then just upload it to a server and finally - update those settings that you've mentioned (site url - in db also, db connection details etc).

The easiest way to create such a package would be to setup a "model" environment with all the necessary themes and plugins installed and configured and then:

1. download all the files via FTP
    2. use phpMyAdmin (or other mysql manager) to export the entire database

3. upload the files (you can even do it simultaneously) to all the target servers
    4. using phpMyAdmin on each server import the database

5. adjust settings.

Still, this will require you to do some work manually though the first 2 steps might be performed with our Snapshot plugin instead.

This is assuming we're referring to the entire WordPress setup. If it comes to themes only, then it would be easier. You could simply download the selected theme, edit it/customize any way you wish and upload to all your installs simultaneously with a FTP client app.
    After that it's only a matter of clicking "Activate" on each install, unless this particular theme is already active. In this case simply uploading it will carry all the changes you made to all the sites the theme is uploaded.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Adam

• Michael

Hi Adam,

Thank you very much for this.

Actually yes, I would like to be able to customise the theme and then be able to roll it out acr0ss 40 other WP installs without having to adjust every single setting and screen layout (of course I will need to modify the individual content of each site manually but no way around that!)

Sorry I had a look but not too sure how to export the theme?

Best regards,
    Mike

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Mike,

I hope you're well today!

There's no "export theme" function in WordPress but you can simply download the theme via FTP from /wp-content/themes/ folder. This will not include customization made by users with a WordPress built-in Customizer but on the other hand - all those customizations should be kept intact after you push the update to your pages.

So, the propose workflow here would be:

1. Setup a development environment (a WP install as closely similar to your live sites as possible)
    2. Download the theme to be customized (via FTP)
    3. Upload and activate on development site
    4. Make any changes and test them on your development site
    5. Once you're done, deploy the theme to all your sites simply by uploading it to those sites via FTP

All the changes should be automatically pushed to those sites.

I hope that helps!
    Cheers,
    Adam