does CustomPress allow admin-defined categories exclusive to admin?

Just want to check my understanding of what CustomPress offers: if I network activate it, will it allow me to define categories to which only I, as superadmin (or admin of sites within my network), have access? By making the taxonomy public or non-public.

I want users to be able to join and register their own blogs (via Multi-Domains) on, for example, SiteA but NOT to be able to assign certain categories eg 'SiteA Magazines' to their content.

Could I then somehow assign this category 'SiteA Magazines' to the Settings of admin-created subsites of SiteA; and assign a custom menu on the SiteA homepage which displays only admin-created subsites which have the category 'SiteA Magazines'.

Is this the best way to have top-level (i.e. admin-created) subsites delineated from user-created subsites? I intend to use BuddyPress as widely as possible across the admin-created sites and subsites, but I do not want users to be able to create Buddypress enabled sites.

Thanks!
Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings pxjenkins,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Just want to check my understanding of what CustomPress offers: if I network activate it, will it allow me to define categories to which only I, as superadmin (or admin of sites within my network), have access?

Correct, all sites on the network will then share a particular custom post type. After network activation, simply go to Network Admin>CustomPress>Settings and make sure the checkbox is cleared next to "Enable sub-site content types". You'll also want to make sure you have the radio button marked next to "Keep the network-wide content types on sub-sites."

I want users to be able to join and register their own blogs (via Multi-Domains) on,

Multi Domains allows you to have more root domains to have blogs on, say you have two domains domaina.com and domainb.com - Multi Domains plugin gives the end users a choice of which domain to create their sun domain on i.e. cars.domaina.com or cars.domainb.com

for example, SiteA but NOT to be able to assign certain categories eg 'SiteA Magazines' to their content.

Unfortunately I do not see this happening due to either the custom post types are shared or they are not shared and each admin (not regular users) can create their own. However, no duplicate custom post types will be allowed i.e. site A cats and site B cats.

Is this the best way to have top-level (i.e. admin-created) subsites delineated from user-created subsites?

The two different types of sites, admin versus users, is delineated in the admin dashboard by the network owner creating their sites in the dashboard which will show in a listing all to its own versus end user sites which are viewed in the network admin dashboard (Network admin sites listings can be viewed in the network admin panel as well as the without end user sites in the main site admin panel)

I intend to use BuddyPress as widely as possible across the admin-created sites and subsites, but I do not want users to be able to create Buddypress enabled sites.

Buddy Press is either network activated and all sites have Buddy Press or their is no Buddy Press at all. It cannot be activated on a site by site basis.

Thanks again for being a WPMU Dev member!

If we can be of further assistance please let us know.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.