Does Domain Mapping Affect my customers cPanel hosting account?

Hello,

1. I am going to install the ProSites and Domain mapping plugins but I need to know if my customers will still be able to access their hosting accounts cPanel after their domain is mapped to my MultiSite installation?

2. I also plan to use the WHMCS integration plugin but I am trying to find out where the WHMCS should be installed (eg... sub-domain, sub-folder, different domain) and if my WP MultiSite install can be in my root. Please help me understand or please point me in the right direction for a clear understanding of this.

I am still new to all of this but I want to make it work for my wife and I. Thank you.

• aecnu

Greetings bloggershost,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Thank you for the great questions.

1. I am going to install the ProSites and Domain mapping plugins but I need to know if my customers will still be able to access their hosting accounts cPanel after their domain is mapped to my MultiSite installation?

The appropriate way to handle this is for the customer to enter their cPanel and set the "A" record to resolve to your MultiSite installation IP.

2. I also plan to use the WHMCS integration plugin but I am trying to find out where the WHMCS should be installed (eg... sub-domain, sub-folder, different domain) and if my WP MultiSite install can be in my root. Please help me understand or please point me in the right direction for a clear understanding of this.

Any of those that you suggested will work though personally I place mine in a sub folder of my main installation.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• LeonardsDesk

Thanks for the fast response Joe. Please bear with me as I make sure that I am understanding correctly:

1. By setting the "A" record in the cPanel instead of at the registrar, customers can still access theredomain.com/cpanel to manage their email and other stuff? Is that correct? If so then I will be able to manage my customers sites much easier without having to worry about them losing access to their cPanels.

2. If I put the WHMCS in a subfolder, won't I have 2 instances showing of WHMCS (eg... one integrated in my root WP install and one in the subfolder?

Thank you for being patient with me Joe. I did not find more details about how the Wordpress Template pages would replace the WHMCS Template pages. I am a bit confused because I am trying to figure out how and if I need to somehow hide the original pages of the WHMCS install somehow.

I have been up all night trying to figure this out. Maybe if I get a couple of hours sleep it will become clear to me... :slight_smile:

• Fullworks

on point 1.

The A record needs to get adjusted in the DNS records (Domain Name Server records) which are held at the designated name server.

The name server will be defined at the registrar of the domain e.g. ns1.pronames.com & ns2.pronames.com

If people have cpanel hosting it is normal (in 99.9% of cases) that the name server are on that cpanel hosting, so the change to the DNS records would be made there.

• aecnu

Greetings bloggershost,

Thank you for the additional clarification which is certainly appreciated.

1. By setting the "A" record in the cPanel instead of at the registrar, customers can still access theredomain.com/cpanel to manage their email and other stuff? Is that correct? If so then I will be able to manage my customers sites much easier without having to worry about them losing access to their cPanels.

Yes as long as the name servers keep pointing to their hosting account and they use an IP to connect to their cPanel or they use something like cPanel.theirdomain.com will work as well - considering they are using cPanel. Email should be unaffected since the MX records reside at the host.

2. If I put the WHMCS in a subfolder, won't I have 2 instances showing of WHMCS (eg... one integrated in my root WP install and one in the subfolder?

You should not have two instances and WHMCS clearly states to not put it in the root folder. Reference: http://docs.whmcs.com/Installing_WHMCS

Step 4 states: Next you can rename the folder to whatever you like (billing, clients, etc...)

It is indeed meant to be in a sub folder.

I am a bit confused because I am trying to figure out how and if I need to somehow hide the original pages of the WHMCS install somehow.

It does not replace or duplicate the WHMCS templates, it just pulls the content into your WordPress installation.

Sleep is always a good thing when exhausted :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.