Does Fundraising use Paypal Adaptive Payments?

If not, can it be entered as a feature request...IOW, if the project hits the target, everyone gets charged, otherwise it just closes.

Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings ken@nextwavetech.us,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Currently it does not and I shall go ahead and move this ticket to the feature requests area and alert the lead developer to the request.

It would be interest to make your feature request here:
    http://wpmudev.uservoice.com/

The more popular a request is and the more votes it gets, the more likely it will be considered.

It might have already been suggested. It is worth a quick search to add your votes before submitting a new suggestion.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

If we can be of further assistance please let us know.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• James Dunn

Goodday ken@nextwavetech.us

If you are looking to do what is termed "Authorize and Capture", I don't think you have to use PayPal's Adaptive Payments for that function. Adaptive Payments is primarily for payment splits where each receiver can receive their money directly into their PayPal account immediately or after the authorization of the owner/admin of the payment processing solution.

Here's something directly from PayPal about Authorize and Capture:

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/howto_admin_authcapture

As I understand the article, it can be done using either the PayPal API (for Express Checkout or Website Payments Pro) or Website Payments Standard. For Direct Payments with Website Payments Pro, you can only create authorizations; you cannot create order authorizations.

Also, the article states that you must use the Authorization and Capture API to accomplish this.

Hope this information is helpful for you. I'm glad you asked the question because it made me look this up. I was asked the question a few months back by a client and I told him it couldn't be done. He was wanting to do something like Groupon does where the purchase is not effected until a certain number of sales are made or a certain time period is complete. Now, I have an answer for him.

Thanks for your post here and let me know if this helps or not.

JDD

• James Dunn

Goodday Joe.

Thanks for the rep points.

I've spent the last few weeks (possibly months) studying PayPal's various API's - especially focusing on the Adaptive Payments System - so I've become far too versed in their system than I ever had an interest in becoming. :wink:

Anyway, because of that, when I see Q's on PayPal, I always want to dig in more. I've rarely failed to learn more every time I dig into it. I'm amazed at how complex their API and system is - or has to be.

Regardless, I hope this info helps the OP and others in the future.

JDD

• kenlyle

Thanks JDD!

So, I guess my actual Feature Request and question is "Does/Can Fundraising support Authorize and Capture?".

JDD...I want to do a Grouponish thing, too, and not actually collect the cash until the deal tips...which is why, when I saw Kickstarter (oops...now I see it's only "kickstart") mentioned in Fundraising, I raised the question.

Anyhoo, do you have the chops to add this feature? Can you PM me here?

• James Dunn

Hey Ken.

I don't have the skills to add it yet - just discovered this function when I wrote about it earlier. But, I may be able to in the near future as soon as I can get my current PayPal project off my plate. I'm also having lunch with someone tomorrow that is probably going to be talking to me about another PayPal project, so I'll have to feel this all out.

Regardless, I'm assuming that your WPMUDev name is your email address, so I sent you an email there from my laptop so you can reach me directly. WPMUDev doesn't have a PM function - unless it's been added in the last week or so.

Talk to you soon.

JDD

• Cole

Hey everyone,

Fundraising is using PayPal Adaptive payments for advanced payments. And more specifically the PreApproval API. It's interesting you bring up the idea of running your own sort of "groupon" type of system.

Fundraising sets up a pre-approval for each payment and once the "goal" is reached (which in this case is a dollar amount) all the associated pre-approvals will be executed. I've been looking into different ways to handle goals. I have had requests for free pledges not associated with a dollar amount. It's possible with a future version we use some other version of a "goal". Maybe the dollars amount becomes unnecessary and we execute the payments based on the number of "backers" for that particular fundraiser.

Hope that helps clarify a bit.

Thanks JamesDunn for providing some info. Love the community here!

Let me know if I can clear up anything else related to the Adaptive Payments system.

• James Dunn

Hey Cole.

Thanks for chiming in on this. Now, you've got me wondering if I can use Fundraising for my application. I'll bet not, but I might actually dig into it to see. Regardless, I might be able to adapt some of the code to what I need for my application.

Also, if pre-approvals is good for 60 days, that's better than what I was taking about with Authorize and Capture because it's only guaranteed for 3 days (up to 115% of the approved amount).

Ken, sounds like you're "fixed up" here. Hope that works for you.

JDD

• Cole

So PayPal still hasn't solidified their documentation on how long you can hold a pre-approval payment. One place in the API documentation says 12 months but another it says 30 days. Since the 30 days number has been confirmed from contact with paypal by other WPMUDEV members I would trust the 30 day window more.

I have a feeling that paypal is selective on this and it could be something that is negotiated with them, but this is just a feeling and not back up with facts of any kind.

• James Dunn

And since PayPal is NOT a bank and doesn't fall under banking regulations, they can make their own rules up, do things as they wish, and we have not recourse if we don't like it.

PP is still the best known and most trusted Payments Processor so it's a good option for most applications. But, always be aware, it's not like a true merchant account from a bank. Bank merchant accounts are subject to all the banking and credit card processing rules, so their procedures are pretty rigidly defined.

JDD

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.