Does getting a dedicated IP address screw up a multisite already installed?

I have been operating multisite for awhile, but needed to get a dedicated IP to accomplish some particular goals. Were there any changes I needed to make after that installation? because I am getting a myriad of problems that have cropped up that I can now track back to that IP installation date.

• GreenTiger

Hi Kim,

I had done that upon installation (I forgot that I had done that). And for anyone who is a Mac like me, those instructions are:

Open up the application: "Terminal"
    then enter: "dscacheutil -flushcache"
    press enter

that clears your DNS cache

I'm still working on it. I am looking at my db tables and I had deleted some test websites on my Admin Dashboard, but the db tables are still there. I'm going to delete those and see what happens.

thanks for the reminder.

I'll post my progress.

• GreenTiger

Patience, perserverance and chocolate...
    all seem to make things right.

I wish I could make an intelligent outline of how I got from point A to point Z, but it has been more of a method of chasing rabbits and herding cats.

Before I started this entire process, I had outlined the structure I (thought) I wanted. In hindsite, I should have posted that to a forum for advice and "what do you think". That can be difficult when you aren't sure of yourself.

As a newbie to multisite (and wpmudev), the only things that I think I can share for another newbie is:

1) If you have the time, do a dry run from start to finish. Treat it as a tutorial in your "multisite" training. I believe now that even doing a multiple install of the multisite process is a true learning experience of what is where and how it all ties together.

2) I did have a bizarre problem with db files. id numbers and site names in the network admin dashboard did NOT match the id numbers and site names in the db files.

3) Somehow I think I was fouled up with the "redirects, domain mapping, etc" that I did on the Network Admin side vs. what I did directly on the CPanel at HostGator. I'm still not confident of all that. BUT, I do have a system that is working... so it's all good.

The only other thing I would advise to anyone new is when you are "thinking" about doing a multi-site, it really isn't worth it to just put your toe in and test the water. Get your self set up with a good host, with a dedicated IP and go for the deep end. Otherwise, you'll never learn to swim.

• aecnu

Greetings GreenTiger,

Thank you for your input and indeed patience, especially when dealing with DNS is a must.

Things to add - your computer has a caching system built into it itself, other then the browser cache, of DNS and IP's. You want to clear this are out as well when working with DNS items and in windows it is done by going to the command prompt and entering in the command ipconfig /flushdns and the message back is something close to the DNS resolver has been cleared.

I do not know what the command is for MAC's, but I do know it does not matter MAC or PC CCleaner will get the job done and keep your computer running better in general.

Thanks again for your input and for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.