Does it make any difference if the empty folders are backed up or not?

Hi,
I've been struggling to find a backup program that works and can backup everything. In the end I found the plugin Xcloner to be working quite well. Although due to alot of limitations from my server provider (not having cron jobs, Not having exec() etc.) and stuff like that the backup programs are unable to backup the empty folders in my ftp directory.

What I am wondering is: Is that a big deal? Can it hinder the functionality of my multisite or will folders automatically be created if they need to be?

So can I rest assured that I got functional backups incase disaster strikes? :slight_smile:

Thanks
/Robert

• Dukeswe

Well for example in wp-content there is blogs.dir since I have no other blogs yet. There is also an upgrade folder with nothing in it. I did a comparison between a manual ftp backup and one of the automated ones and it was as much as 50 more folders in the manual one. Maybe some plugins and such that has some empty folders aswell.

I also tried and removed the uploads folder from wordpress to see what happened and it just created it again when I uploaded something. Maybe it could be a problem for plugins that doesn't create folders automatically or have the rights to do so?

I don't know. That is why I was asking because I was hoping one of you would :slight_smile:

• Mason

Hiya,

Although due to alot of limitations from my server provider (not having cron jobs, Not having exec() etc.) and stuff like that the backup programs are unable to backup the empty folders in my ftp directory.

Why won't they allow this? Personally, I'd consider switching host providers over a restriction like this.

What I am wondering is: Is that a big deal? Can it hinder the functionality of my multisite or will folders automatically be created if they need to be?

Shouldn't be an issue, but there's no way we can vouch for every folder (not even knowing what they are). blogs.dir is fine left empty though I believe you'd have to manually recreate it in the future if you needed (WordPress should prompt you to do so). The uploads folder is only used by the main site for uploads. Sub-sites all use a directory tree in blogs.dir.

So can I rest assured that I got functional backups incase disaster strikes? :slight_smile:

There's no sure-fire 'set it and forget it' to backups. Best practice is to do sanity checks of your backups on a regular basis to make sure things are working properly. Have a test server environment identical to your production site and go through the process of restoring your site. Check the error logs for any issues and do a quick run-through of the WordPress operations and make sure all plugins, themes, and data work like they should.

It's time intensive, and not one of the "glamorous" jobs to do, but if you're truly want to be assured, this is the only way.

Thanks!

• Dukeswe

"Why won't they allow this?"
    Apparently because the server is shared and if the exec function would be activated some ill-meaning person could exploit that. Having a shared server means lower costs I guess. And about the cron jobs I was not the only one complaining about them not having that so they will prolly implement that sometime in the future. Meanwhile I am gonna have to use the likes of cronless.com.

"Shouldn't be an issue,"
    Well that is what I am hoping :slight_smile: So I am just gonna use these automatic backups. Do manual backups once in a while and before big updates (like wordpress) and the fact that the server provider say they have some sort of disaster backup aswell.

/Robert

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.