Does Membership Plugin Work Across a Multisite?

I am setting up a multisite and installed the Membership plugin. Configured on my main domain.

I am wondering on a multisite does the membership plugin need to be installed on the other sub-domains (sites) in order to protect content?

If so is there a way to automatically allow users from one mulisite registration be registered on the on sites as well or is this done manually.

Thanks for the assistance.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Thomas,

Welcome to the Community!

Membership is multisite compatible, but it doesn't work across the multisite. It works on a site by site basis.

I am wondering on a multisite does the membership plugin need to be installed on the other sub-domains (sites) in order to protect content?

If you need membership features to be available on all sub-sites, it need to be network activated and configured individually on all subsites.

If so is there a way to automatically allow users from one mulisite registration be registered on the on sites as well or is this done manually.

You can use this plugin to do that: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/multisite-user-management/

The settings are in the network settings area: wp-admin/network/settings.php

Here is a possible problem, the users won't still be assigned to a membership subscription on the sub-site.

There is only one solution I can think of. Use the Members plugin http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/members/ on the sub-sites instead of our Membership plugin.

With the members plugin you can specify what role should have access to a page or post (via a meta box in the editor).

So when a user sign-s up, he is assigned as an editor. And members will decide what content an editor can see and stuff like that.

Try it out. Good luck!

• thomas_foy
    • New Recruit

Hi Arun,

Thank you for your assistance.

It seems that it does work to some extent that when a member logs in to a site in the multisite network, other sites on the network will recogize that person as being logged in. It does not create or share users though. It would be create if there was an option to create a central user database or a setting to automatically create them across the network on sites you wanted them added to.

I will check out the plugins you posted and see if they can help in what I wanted. If not at least it is functional now.

Thanks Again,
    Thomas Foy

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Glad to hear that @thomas_foy, WordPress multisite works more or less like WordPress.com

@foodfriendfinder - I use members on a day to day basis, it works like a charm. You know, if there is no reason to update something, why should it be updated? :wink:

You will love it.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.